Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 13:20   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
In case if we are going to use this on alloys how long will the rubberized coat last?
In a country like ours i dont think it would be reliable to use it on alloys based on our road conditions.
It will stay for almost a year. I guess it is worth it.
Old 21st June 2013, 14:22   #47
BHPian

Re: Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...

What about plastidip for the bed of our jeeps? Do you think it would help cut some noise out from the bottom?

Thoughts anyone?
Old 17th July 2013, 23:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
What about plastidip for the bed of our jeeps? Do you think it would help cut some noise out from the bottom?

Thoughts anyone?

HI manasm,

Well there are a quite a few "Under body coatings" available in the market which are mainly for sound deadening from the floor. I saw a few on internet. Also, they were available at a local garage (Premjis, Thane). I asked Mr. Premji and he said they do the coating for around 3000 bucks. IRRC I even saw it at Hyundai ASS. It was some advert for under body coating.

The only issue is, it needs a compressor to spray on. And may be even a special gun.
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 17:54   #49
Team-BHP Support

Had an ugly laptop that needed a quick-fix. Rather than buying a new lid for Rs. ~1,500 or a skin - i thought i'd play around with plasti-dip.

Pankaj Gandhi sent a can over quite promptly. Total cost for 11oz Black spray can : Rs. 1069
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130704_180947-custom.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130705_152151-custom.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130705_155231-custom.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130705_155244-custom.jpg

I didn't get the surface perfect, there were a few bumps and "dots" around the place, but overall i'm pretty happy with it. Touching the coating does tend to leave slight marks/dust, but it can be cleaned.

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130705_180351-custom.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_20130705_180402-custom.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 06:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Using Plasti-Dip on Wheels of Corvette - Chrome to Matte Black

Phew! 2 Hours of hard work and finally managed to Plasti-Dip the Chrome Wheels on Corvette.

Attached are before and after pics of the job done. Not bad for first timer.

Love the new look. Good thing is its easily removable.

Now all is left to determine how to remove plasti-dip from the flag emblem in the middle. Next would be plasti-dip the roof. What does the gang think about that? Should i do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-dsc_0106.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-dsc_0107.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-20130908_181110.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-20130908_181047.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-20130908_181052.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-20130908_181137.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 9th September 2013 at 07:00.
chevelle is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 08:03   #51
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Now all is left to determine how to remove plasti-dip from the flag emblem in the middle. Next would be plasti-dip the roof. What does the gang think about that? Should i do it?
Looks neat chev.

May be you can look at the surgical scalpels, they will help you to remove with bit more precision.

Nah I wouldn't plasti dip the roof
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 08:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Looks neat chev.

May be you can look at the surgical scalpels, they will help you to remove with bit more precision.

Nah I wouldn't plasti dip the roof
Thanks!

I was going for a blade/knife to do it. May be scalpels will be a better option. Thanks.

Any particular reason why you won't opt for dipped roof? I thought it will give a black-out look to the top portion of car and compliment wheels. It will get hot in summer but fall is coming so i can enjoy it at least until next may. Then i can remove it again.

I am thinking of doing plasti-dip on the exhaust too.

I know, i know, its crazy stuff but since it can be removed anytime, worth giving it a shot. Your say?
Old 9th September 2013, 10:04   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Next would be plasti-dip the roof. What does the gang think about that? Should i do it?
Amazing mate. Car looks really cool.

I think you should do it on the roof too. It will jell along with the black tinted glass.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2013 at 19:06. Reason: Quote fixed.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 18:40   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Not bad for first timer.
Very Nice! . How many cans did you need for all the 4 wheels? Did you remove all the four wheels and sprayed?

Probably because of the photo angle, i kinda find the chrome look to be a bit more appealing .

I was thinking about doing it for the factory hubs on the car. But then again, that could be a sure shot way of portraying oneself as a douche bag as nobody really plasti dips the hubs.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 18:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phew! 2 Hours of hard work and finally managed to Plasti-Dip the Chrome Wheels on Corvette.
Nice work, Chev!
Did you have to remove the wheels?

Yeah I agree with Kraft. Leave the roof alone

Instead, how about two stripes along the hood and roof? You can get a white plastidip too!
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 20:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Attached are before and after pics of the job done. Not bad for first timer.
Great Job on the Wheels.

Quote:

I am bit lost here on both of you guys comment. Surgical scalpels? I thought plasti-dip is like a spray can?

I could not even understand how did kraft identify it from the pics you posted and suggested to to use blades. Someone enlighten me please.
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 21:29   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Great Job on the Wheels.

I am bit lost here on both of you guys comment. Surgical scalpels? I thought plasti-dip is like a spray can?

I could not even understand how did kraft identify it from the pics you posted and suggested to to use blades. Someone enlighten me please.
Yes its a spray can, but the material that sticks on the rim is like a thin sheet of plastic! The more the layers, the more thick sheet it forms.
And scalpels are precise tool which can be used to cut this thin sheet.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 9th September 2013 at 21:57.
Old 9th September 2013, 22:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Amazing mate. Car looks really cool.

I think you should do it on the roof too. It will jell along with the black tinted glass.
Thanks. I am thinking about it too. Will do it next weekend or so. It requires more masking than wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Very Nice! . How many cans did you need for all the 4 wheels? Did you remove all the four wheels and sprayed?

Probably because of the photo angle, i kinda find the chrome look to be a bit more appealing .

I was thinking about doing it for the factory hubs on the car. But then again, that could be a sure shot way of portraying oneself as a douche bag as nobody really plasti dips the hubs.
Thanks. I used just one. No i didn't remove the wheels. I simply masked the brakes with kitchen bag and sprayed.

With this, i think it looks a lot meanier than before. With chrome it looks great too. Good thing is, i can have both ways anytime. This also protect from curb rashes, brake dust and is much easier to clean than chrome.

Please don't do hubs. If you want, do go ahead with complete wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nice work, Chev!
Did you have to remove the wheels?

Yeah I agree with Kraft. Leave the roof alone

Instead, how about two stripes along the hood and roof? You can get a white plastidip too!
Thanks Amit. No i didn't remove wheels. Used the kitchen bag method to mask brake.

I am planning about that but it will require use of vinyl or paint. Not too eager on that at the moment. With plastidip, it will be difficult to achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Great Job on the Wheels.

Well, me and Kraft were discussing about using scalpels to remove the plastidip from the center where there is corvette's flag.

Yes, plasti-dip comes in spray can.

Quote:
Yes its a spray can, but the material that sticks on the rim is like a thin sheet of plastic! The more the layers, the more thick sheet it forms.
And scalpels are precise tool which can be used to cut this thin sheet.
Material is more like a thin rubber than plastic. It is prudent not too put too as it may cause problems. 4-5 layers is just fine be it wheels or roof. I used 5 layers because of more highway miles. If it will be more city oriented, 4 layers should do fine. Also when applied, its like a paint. Only when it dries, it becomes a little thick. Again, since its rubber, its easy to peel. I did peel on the tires - very easy.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 23:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit. No i didn't remove wheels. Used the kitchen bag method to mask brake.
Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? What about overspray on the tires? Does it take care of that too?
Old 9th September 2013, 23:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? What about overspray on the tires? Does it take care of that too?
you can also use WD40 to remove plasti dip.

Most Viewed