Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 05:18   #16
BANNED

Corsa 1.4 is not well a dragger. Yes, the car seems to be fast enough for that once in a while stints on highway etc... But, it wont be a pleasant dragger though.

As said, get an Ezen or a Bzen to fly on the drags.

This threads seems well old enough. Discussed and done almost.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:20   #17
sAP
BHPian

No substitute for experience and discernment

First of all, the Internet is a vast resource and so are forums. The key is where and who you take advise from since a lot of good-intentional but speculative comments goes around. A good start is to see if the informant has any repetitive track experience. If not, then he's most likely speculating.

At MMSC (which is where the JK Tyre Road Racing championships are held) I have personally come across a vehicle with an Esteem 1.3L carb engine on a Zen chassis, a racedynamics stage2 engine management module (Karthik Reddy) & custom-fabricated springs while running time-attacks. To go flat out you can try calling Karthik http://www.racedynamics.in/contact.htm and see if they have made experiments with stage2 modules on a Corsa. Else, you might want to try the RD0406 module in stage1 instead.

But then again, unless you are willing to try these mods on your Corsa and make them work together from those with such experience, you may be still better off making minor mods to your existing stock vehicle, keep your warranty intact and still be able to give most cars out there an inferiority complex. I think this is what you might have wanted in the first place.

sAP

Some references you might want to browse: http://www.corsamania.com/galfotos.asp
http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Opel/Corsa
http://www.corsaclub.it/tuningb.htm
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/

Also try googling for 1999 Holden Barina mods, the same car sold in Australia (australian terrain is as harsh as Indian if not worse) and those mods might well work fine here too.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:46   #18
BANNED

I think you should concentrate on the overall drivability of your car rather than just the occasional straightline drag. Corsa may not be the quickest off the block, but it has good dynamics at high speed.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
Esteem 1.3L carb engine on a Zen chassis, a racedynamics stage2 engine management module
Are you sure? No offence, but I don't see how an ECU helps a carb engine.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:46   #20
sAP
BHPian

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Are you sure? No offence, but I don't see how an ECU helps a carb engine.
Viper. My mistake. It was the one Ranjith was driving at the March 06 Track Attack. Here is a pic from my archive.

sAP
Old 7th November 2006, 22:14   #21
BANNED

That caught my eyes too. Carb engine running with an ECU?

So, if not the ecu, what was the other engine mods done other than the engine swap?

And I think, a Zen (even alto) with an esteem engine and a fine tuned suspension will make some heavily priced cars go green in envy. If track and drags are the sole intentions, then it's better to spend money on these.
Old 8th November 2006, 03:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

That is Karan's car , a friend of mine, and yes it had an ECU fitted on a carb engine , but that car has gone thru a lot of changes, it once ran with a single carb, then once with individual carbs etc etc, for a Zen on the street that car can lick a lot of non turbo cars, but on the dragstrip it did not do well, the best I know of on that car is some 15.something seconds which is 2 secs off the open class best car's pace, I am telling this because there is no Esteem engine Zen category anymore in Speed Run.
Another reason for that car not doing so well was it's weight, the amount of metal paste and that Roll Cage does not make it a very good 1/4 mile car, but it sure is good on a racetrack, as it was tested on track.
The car by Raj which won the Speed Run was a zen stripped down to the core with fiber hatch and rear doors. I love Karan's Zen but now I think you guys have an insight on what it did and what it did not.
Also, his engine smoked on the last speed run and the car was towed away, now running on a done up 1.0 Zen engine with a Zex direct port NOS kit.
He is now concentrating on Rally and drives an esteem, our boy is talented and I wish him all the luck as he will make it big someday.

Stevie: About the Corsa, if you belive you can do something good with it, go ahead, if your corsa can be one of the fastest on the dragstrip, it will be something everyone can learn from, but you sure have to strip a lot from that car and belive me Opels are mighty expensive if something happens, so I am sure your pockets are deep enuff, and would love to see an Opel 1/4 mile burner.
Let Ze Germans have some show, cos now its all the Japs leading

Last edited by blueraven316 : 8th November 2006 at 03:21.
blueraven316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2006, 05:10   #23
BANNED

Well said blueman!

Expensive! Yes. That's another reason why the Corsa is not recommended for drag strips.

It's interiors ooze with quality build. To strip it will be a tricky job. And in the non stripped mode, it'll be tad a bit heavy.
Old 23rd November 2006, 20:51   #24
sAP
BHPian

Broadvision Inc.

Here are a few Corsa draggers for inspiration:And a few turbocharged Corsas:More Corsas:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/734763/2
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2141964

A whole lot more:
http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Opel/Corsa

Porting worked for me during my college days (over 11 years ago) and if not overdone, can result in a significant performance improvement without sacrificing drivability (or narrowing the powerband) on the street. You might want to *tune* your fuel map a little though.

sAP

PS: Raven: I checked with Karthik. He didn't have a module on the orange at MMSC. He had one on Sanjay Agarwal's Esteem and the Viva.
Old 24th November 2006, 19:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why people don't have trust in a car which handles like hell on high speeds (even beats ikon handling). Corsa is a gr8 car which is underestimated. And sAP has proved that it's a performance car if tweaked to perfection.

to sAP for the links..

Also think on this:
You may not have to work a lot on a ESTEEM to make it perform gr8, but you have to work a lot on making it a safer car for drags. And if you put the same amount of time in tweaking a corsa for drag, i think it will more and much better as its allready a lot more safer than esteem.

Last edited by abhibh : 24th November 2006 at 19:58.
Old 24th November 2006, 22:17   #26
BHPian

ya i agree with SAP too.i have seen my car work brilliant and i think its an underestimated car to a certain extent.i have consulted many people and its true that it may be might expensive to do a lot of stuff to make drastic changes and improvements but like SAP said, small changes can also make a significant change in the improvement.
my friends usually 'wow' the capabilities of my stock corsa sail.awesome sound with a stock replacement K&N.
i am gonna do enough homework thought, before i decide to make this car prove its worth
Old 1st January 2007, 12:58   #27
sAP
BHPian

Opel Corsa vs exotics, muscle and tuner cars

Here's a thread I came across that *vaguely* relates to this topic
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...s-who-won.html

sAP
Old 20th January 2007, 03:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
ya i agree with SAP too.i have seen my car work brilliant and i think its an underestimated car to a certain extent.i have consulted many people and its true that it may be might expensive to do a lot of stuff to make drastic changes and improvements but like SAP said, small changes can also make a significant change in the improvement.
my friends usually 'wow' the capabilities of my stock corsa sail.awesome sound with a stock replacement K&N.
i am gonna do enough homework thought, before i decide to make this car prove its worth
stevie, a stock corsa is a 1400 cc sohc and has only 2 valves per cylinder, revs upto @6000 RPM only and makes about 90 BHP.
and there is no such thing as a VVTI,MIVEC or Vtec type of a system in a corsa which makes its engine stand out so much and make corsa engine something even slightly sporty.

there are stock cars in India which have better engines and are lighter.

lets start ..
(a) esteem - its 1300 cc, sohc and makes 87 bhp and is lighter than a corsa and has a better head with 4 valves per cylinder --> so even with extra 100 cc it makes approx 3 bhp extra.
[if u want to mod an esteem there are som may aftermarket options available in india]
(b)OHC 1.3 - its 1300 cc, sohc, 4 valves per cylinder and makes 90 BHP, it is even detuned for indian fuel, it has even more potential than an esteem
(c)OHC 1.5 - do I need to explain this ?
(d)OHC Vtec - do I need to explain this ?

the palio 1.6 is dohc, the baleno is dohc , these cars have better designed engines which can make use of more aggressive cams as compared to sohc designs and have lots of potential.

what does corsa have that makes it such an underdog ??
plz tell me dude why are guys so convinced that corsa has great tuning potential and is a good base for drag and track purpose.

I have driven a corsa sail, palio S10, OHC1.2,OHC 1.5, OHC Vtec , esteem and baleno and I know what Im talkin abt when I compare all these.

u can take even a m800, santro or indica and put crazy amounts of money into it and make it beat a bigger car.. but that wont earn it street cred as a tuning car... as the basic stock car is not a good platform for mods...
e.g of what what u call a car with potential is :
(a) basically has a good engine design like variable valve timing
(b) DOHC head... but its ok..SOHC will be fine up to a certain level also
(c) atleast ..atleast a bare minimum of atleast having 4 valves per cylinder
(d) this is not strictly imp but atleast the stance of the stock vehicle should be low slung etc.. e.g. no one will consider a santro\wagon R for track day use because of their tall design..
(e) last and no that important ..custom mods can be done but the base car platform should have atleast some street cred or atleast have some aftermarket mods available in the market.e.g. look at the options available for a civic si, Integra Type R, WRX Sti,Mitsubishi Evo, Supra etc etc...
coming back to India for e.g look at the Honda , Suzuki and Mitsubishi.. u can do so much with these case as your basefor a tuner car..

can you plz explain to me why Corsa is such a great car with potential.. ?
Old 22nd January 2007, 15:14   #29
sAP
BHPian

This whole thing has been discussed and now that Stevia has stated his point, you seem to have missed it entirely. He already has a Corsa, loves the ownership experience and wants to take it a step further. He is not in the market for a new base vehicle.

sAP
Old 22nd January 2007, 16:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
the palio 1.6 is dohc, the baleno is dohc ,
Baleno Double Overhead Cams ?

Most Viewed