Team-BHP - Redoing a Gypsy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Redoing a Gypsy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/13698-redoing-gypsy.html)

I had previously informed about the Gypsy i Had bought with some modifications. Now i would like to present the detailed mods along with the costs.

Gypsy 1000cc wide track year 1995/ registered 1996 with Hard Top.Condition Used. The car was used in JNPT, sparingly but roughly used. Since the dealer was my friend i got a good deal as it was difficult to find a gypsy. The Gypsy came fitted with LPG kit and AC. The radiator was not serviced as it had muddy appearance. Infact you could say the entire car was not serviced. The tyres were totally bald and were not changed even once as i found out when i changed them to radials. The car was Raigad reg with no insurance left. First thing did was to transfer the car in my name The process cost me 6850 with registration. Car was not run on petrol and the tank was full of dirt had to remove clean and service it. The dashboard was okay, but the glove compartment was broken. Now we get two spares for Maruti one called SGP (Suzuki geniune parts) which are costly but readily available and MGP (Marutyi genuine parts) cheap but rare. I inquired for a new dashboard and it was costing 2350. Luckily they had one MGP spare left which cost me 1200 and i bought it. Alongwith it I purchjased the glove compartment and 4 blowers which cost me another 300bucks. I changed to coolant 160 bucks and serviced the radiator. Now i had to change al the locks as i could not have seperate keys for starter, glove compartment and petrol tank . So bought a complete new set for 850bucks. Third thing was to deal with the AC. The AC unit did not have a gas cut out and FICD which increases
the RPM by 200. The result was that the car used to stop at sigmnals with AC on. So serviced the AC, Put in a extra Fan for the AC compressor which cost 1600bucks. Alonwith it the AC suction tube was damaged. Replacement 550bucks, FICD 750bucks, Gas cut out 300bucks, Gas charging 600 bucks, Compressor oil 80 bucks. Labour charges 800( the fellow cut my throat here ). Anyways good work done. Had to put a Film over my car to get the cooling effect. So went for a film with radium cost 1000bucks. Now the hard top glass frame was damaged. So had to replace it do silicon work which costs 1500bucks. the cooling was good but as soon as u put on the a the horns and light went dim. So changed the wiring. Put in 6mm and 4mm wires, tubed them. extra relay for horn , starter and fog lamp. Total costs 2100. Replaced the bulbs (Bausch) and the horn (baush). Installed a reverse horn to irritate a few. Also installed a inner round shaped light for my car ( 230 bucks). After all this great wiring the alternator had to be replaced so another 1000 bucks. The car had 4WD. So serviced it. Opened the transfer case, Changed gear oil and put in new bushings. Total costs 450. The car
tyres were changed to bridgestone radials 195/65. The recomnded radials were 205/70 but after searching on the net and calculating on lines of coefficent radius and other stuff 195/65 were found to be ideal as they reduce the jumping and ensured smooth ride. Luckily got 95%tyres at 6900 (5 of them). Belonged to a new tavera whose owner was interested in magwheels. After all this i went to a lpg station and fine tuned my car to get great pickup and improved mileage (150 bucks). As i was grinning on my work i found out the car had no wiper motor assembly. Got hold of the dealer. I had not cleared his 7k payment. Told him if he does not get me a wiper motor i will buy a new one from his money. Results yet to come. Along with it i had to buy a side view mirror, dashboard clamps and hinges for door which all cost me approx 400bucks. So now the cars going and ready. I have preapared a small list below

Gypsy

Price 1.2lacs + 3K for the dealer + 7K transfer + reg

AC service
-------------------
FICD 750
Suction Pipe 500
Compressor Fan 1600
Gas charging 600
Compressor oil 80
Gascut out 300
Labour 800

Electrics
-------------
wiring change 1000
Electricals 1100
Horn 200

Transmission
------------------
4WD gear bush + oil 300
Labour 150

Others
---------
Dashboard 1300
Glove 200
Blowers 50 p pc X 4== 200
Dasboard fitments 150
Lock change 850
Tyres 6900
LPG service 150
Window service 1500
Radium Film 1000
Others 700 (incl of certain labour/ wheel alignment and other similar fitments)

Total 20,330

After all this the beauty is really worth it. Had to slog hard for 2 months day and night to achoieve this and now I can pride on it. Started with a FE of 5 and now somehere at 10-12 with A/C on. Will upload some pics soon.

Wow. u have a new Gypsy and a DIY more or less! The spares etc sound more like my Pulsar's!

lodhra: This story deserves some pix man :)

Wow Lodhra! Please put up some pics.

Cheers,
Salil

P.S: Are you looking to sell your Gypsy? :) I know! but couldnt resist asking!

Definitely just waiting for a last mod and will upload the pics on tuesday thank you for reading.Salil thanks for your offer. Made me feel good. But if u ever get a chance do own a gypsy atleast once . Great great vehicle

Congratulations Lodhra! Being a former Gypsy owner myself, I know how you must feel. All the best driving your baby around.

10-12 kmpl with A/C is amazing. I never got more than 8 - 8.5

A lot of time, effort and money seems to have gone into your Gypsy. The 195/15 tyres are best suited for the car. lets see some pics of your pride & joy.

congrats for the gypsy...
waiting for the pics...

congrats buddy enjoy your true 4X4 adventure with your gypsy. My friend having open willys 4X4 and we are planning for great 4X4 adventure just waiting for monsoon.

yupp pal pls upload some pics of ur gypsy !!!

Dude that sounds like some effort!! Good work.

Now show us the pics.. We all wanna see it.

Hey Lodhra,

Quote:

Originally Posted by lodhra
Installed a reverse horn to irritate a few.

lol:

Nice Effort Dude..
Post Some Pics...

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Hey Lodra,
I got my Gypsy king too in March 06..Did more or less the same stuff amazingly.. Cheers

Hi posting pics of the gypsy as req

Radials 195/65

A/C Fan

Back View

FICD for AC

Back view

Front View 1

Front view 2

Front view 3

Under the hood 1

Under the hood 2

Under the hood 3

Interior view 1

Interior view 2

LPG

Radium to prevent water enetering the cabin

Extra relays for Horn and Fog

Silicon done for water proofing

Tubed wiring

Wiper

Wiper

Pretty good effort. The gypsy looks rather nice!