Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)

I had some official work in Ahmedabad that required me to stay in the city for a month. Thus, I drove from Delhi to Ahmedabad on June 9. I took my car for a wash at 3M Car Care on the next day and got a foam wash done on the car for ~Rs. 450. They did a normal foam wash but didn't dress the tyres or plastic trims as that is covered in detailing not foam wash. I was a bit surprised as the place where I get my car washed in Noida (Speed Car Wash) does dress the tyres + trims and details the alloys as well. I didn't insist as the trims weren't too dirty. I saw them wrapping a car’s hood in matt black and asked if they can wrap the plastic portion of the hood in my Punto. All Punto owners will agree that maintain that plastic portion black is tough so, I wanted to get a long term fix for it. The guy said that they have worked on another Punto and can do it very easily.

I took my car on the following Sunday and asked them to wrap the plastic part in Carbon Fibre finish. They gave me a quote of INR 1500 and I was fine with that. They first tried to remove the plastic part but couldn't, as it’s locked with some clips that they couldn't trace. I again asked them if they are confident about what they are doing. The manager assured that the team is experienced and the work will be done to my satisfaction.
They started the work and I observed for some time and then decided to go and sit in the customer lounge as I thought that my car is in professional hands. When I came out to check the work after 30 minutes, I was shocked to see scratch marks on the hood caused by blade. These guys had cut the wrap on the hood with so much pressure that it took the paint off the hood. I called the manager and showed the hood to him. He said they will remove the scratch by wet sanding. I asked him not to wet sand as it will affect the finish of my new car. He called some technical expert who inspected the scratch and brought some rubbing compound. I asked him not to rub the area as it will spoil the carbon fibre finish further. He told me that this is a special compound and nothing of that sort will happen. The guy rubbed the scratch and now I have a scratch on hood and dull finish on carbon fibre.

The manager realized that they have made a mistake and asked me not to pay for the job but I decided to pay the entire amount and collect the bill as I want to retain some proof that I got the shoddy work done at a 3M Car Care center not some roadside accessory shop. I have the bill for their shoddy work. Can someone please share contact details of appropriate level where I should escalate this? The Ahmedabad branch is spoiling the brand name of 3M by doing such shoddy work.

For people that use the 3M car care center at Ahmedabad, I wouldn't recommend anything beyond foam wash from them. The team seems inexperienced and just makes tall claims about their professionalism and expertise. I learned it the hard way but please don’t let them make your car a guinea pig for their experiments.

Pics of the work. The scratch and the shoddy wrap job are clearly visible. I could have got a better job done at some street side accessory shop for half the amount.

Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)-1.jpg

Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)-2.jpg

Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)-dsc_0742.jpg

Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)-dsc_0746.jpg
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Pathetic experience at 3M Car Care (Ahmedabad)

This is really sad. I fail to believe that this is done at a 3M outlet. Good that you have taken a receipt. Escalate to 3M about this issue and let them know that customers are taken for a ride in their name. Thanks for posting the photos here as well.
Ahmed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:08   #3
BHPian

3M is usuallu known for its attention to detail and customer service.
You should definitely escalate this matter and get the whole job redone. With respect to the scratches they made, if they are deep enough you can ask them to do a repaint. 3M in Mumbai does repainting jobs and are supposedly very good at it, so it must be the same case in Ahmedabad as well.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:29   #4
h14
BHPian

Sad to see such shoddy work! Shoot out a mail to 3mcarcare.in@mmm.com

Also do post this on their FB page @ facebook.com/3mcarcareindia

3M does treat all feedbacks seroiusly and I'm sure they will look into this matter.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Sad to see such shoddy work! Shoot out a mail to 3mcarcare.in@mmm.com
Thank you h14 for sharing the email address. I just received a response from their business excellence team. They have asked the area manager for Ahmedabad, to get in touch with me. Let's hope he does that today as I will be leaving for Delhi tomorrow morning.

I shall keep you all updated on my interaction with 3M.

Cheers,
Biraj
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:35   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

That wrap has already started peeling off. Won't last long, you might soon experience bubbling and lifting.

In case water seeps in you might get spotting so make sure you take action soon.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:33   #7
BHPian

Update:

The area manager for West (Gujarat and Maharashtra) called me and expressed his disappointment and shock over the quality of work done. He said that the person that worked on my car is not in the system anymore. I would have preferred retraining over sacking anyway, that's their internal call so I wouldn't comment on it.

He offered to get the bonnet painted and was confident that the shade would match. I refused the repainting option as even though the car is new, it's difficult to match a repainted panel with rest of the car. If there's even a slight mismatch it would stick out like a sore thumb. Moreover, I don't want a new car to fall under the "repainted" category. I told him that all they can do to correct this is, wrap the portion again and somehow manage to cover the scratch with the wrap i.e. extend the area of wrap by 1 cm. He has assured me that the work will be done by their best team and I wouldn't be disappointed this time.

Since I am back in Delhi, they have asked Steam&Shine to work on my car. I received a call from Anurag (Steam&Shine) for setting up of appointment. Unfortunately, they are busy during weekends and I am busy during weekdays. I don't blame them as I have seen (on Facebook) the kind of work they do. I will arrange for a spot some time next week and will update all of you on the final results.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:59   #8
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Update:

The area manager for West (Gujarat and Maharashtra) called me and expressed his disappointment and shock over the quality of work done. He said that the person that worked on my car is not in the system anymore. I would have preferred retraining over sacking anyway, that's their internal call so I wouldn't comment on it.

He offered to get the bonnet painted and was confident that the shade would match. I refused the repainting option as even though the car is new, it's difficult to match a repainted panel with rest of the car. If there's even a slight mismatch it would stick out like a sore thumb. Moreover, I don't want a new car to fall under the "repainted" category. I told him that all they can do to correct this is, wrap the portion again and somehow manage to cover the scratch with the wrap i.e. extend the area of wrap by 1 cm. He has assured me that the work will be done by their best team and I wouldn't be disappointed this time.

Since I am back in Delhi, they have asked Steam&Shine to work on my car. I received a call from Anurag (Steam&Shine) for setting up of appointment. Unfortunately, they are busy during weekends and I am busy during weekdays. I don't blame them as I have seen (on Facebook) the kind of work they do. I will arrange for a spot some time next week and will update all of you on the final results.
Thats good news.

But just make sure of one thing, that the scratch part won't start peeling off. The thing is that when you remove the wrap at a later point, the adhesive might bond with the edges and when it is pulled might peel off the paint in that area.

Why not go in for a paint job if the company is providing it to you. If you don't like it, just go in for a wrap over it.
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Thats good news.
=======
Why not go in for a paint job if the company is providing it to you. If you don't like it, just go in for a wrap over it.
now a days, good companies have the tools to match the paint thus not leaving a difference if gone through a proper dealer, I.E ask them to paint it from the car company dealer
Old 1st November 2013, 09:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

Since we were planning to head to Ahmedabad for the weekend and Diwali, I thought it will be a good idea to get the anti-rust underbody coating from these guys but the experience mentioned in the first post isn’t exactly welcoming. We called them up a while back and the store manager said that the GT comes with the underbody coating from the factory and does not require another coating done at this stage. However he insisted on getting the car to the store so they may inspect what best could be done. I may opt for the paint protection/UV treatment for the exteriors. Shall update the thread later.
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:21   #11
BHPian

I just realised that I missed updating the final results. I had taken my car to Steam and Shine for rectification. Ended up splurging out of pocket and got the car detailed.

3M never followed up after setting up the appointment with Steam&Shine. I paid only for the detailing and wrap work was done free of charge.

Here are the pics of my car after the detailing.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Since we were planning to head to Ahmedabad for the weekend and Diwali, I thought it will be a good idea to get the anti-rust underbody coating from these guys but the experience mentioned in the first post isn’t exactly welcoming.
I know this is a very old post. How was your experience at the Ahmedabad 3M Car Care center for anti-rust underbody coating?

Anyone have recent experience with these guys?

Would appreciate recommendations for store that deals with art seat covers in Ahmedabad.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
I know this is a very old post. How was your experience at the Ahmedabad 3M Car Care center for anti-rust underbody coating?
Apologies for the late response Sohu. Overlooked the notification.

I didn't have to get the anti-rust underbody coating done as the Polo already comes with it from the factory. Since it was Diwali, they were on a tight schedule not accepting any more cars for the day (the outlet was open until afternoon that day) but raised my car on the lift and showed me the stock underbody coating.

Please note that the outlet has been relocated to Drive-In Road, near Manav Mandir (Google Maps). I had been to this outlet during February earlier this year for getting the interiors cleaned and the car washed. I was satisfied with the results.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 13:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the late response Sohu. Overlooked the notification.
No worries. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
I didn't have to get the anti-rust underbody coating done as the Polo already comes with it from the factory. Since it was Diwali, they were on a tight schedule not accepting any more cars for the day (the outlet was open until afternoon that day) but raised my car on the lift and showed me the stock underbody coating.

Quote:
Please note that the outlet has been relocated to Drive-In Road, near Manav Mandir (Google Maps). I had been to this outlet during February earlier this year for getting the interiors cleaned and the car washed. I was satisfied with the results.
Thanks for the heads up.

Any recommendations for the art leather seat cover store (with good lumbar support) in Ahmedabad? TIA.
Old 11th October 2016, 01:00   #15
BHPian

The outlet was permanently closed before 5-6 months. I don't know the reason.

I dropped a message to 3M India's official fb page around the same time regarding the possibility of reopening , they read the message and royally ignored it.

I just checked 3M's official website and an outlet with a new address(Bodakdev) is listed.

I am thinking about getting mats (an may be CR70) for my Jetta. Can anyone share their experience with the new outlet?

Most Viewed