Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift "Special" - 1.4L VVT, Unichip Tuned, 112 BHP!

Really admire your experimentation and your courage! Looking at the things you are trying out, makes me rue the fact that I took an extended warranty for my ride.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:53   #17
BHPian

Just out of curiosity I checked out the suzuki global page, and looks like the power/torque figures you have achieved puts it closer to the swift sport in terms of performance

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobi...pec/index.html

Do you intend to beef up the suspension to handle the extra power?
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Really admire your experimentation and your courage! Looking at the things you are trying out, makes me rue the fact that I took an extended warranty for my ride.
I haven't availed the extended warranty for my car, and now the std warranty too stands void

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
Just out of curiosity I checked out the suzuki global page, and looks like the power/torque figures you have achieved puts it closer to the swift sport in terms of performance

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobi...pec/index.html

Do you intend to beef up the suspension to handle the extra power?
Thanks. Torque is kind of close but the sport makes a lot more power!

I'm not planning for a suspension upgrade soon, stock suspension is capable. When time comes to change the stock suspension i might go for coilovers. I'm planning to put in better brake pads now.

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd September 2013 at 14:18.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:15   #19
BHPian

The exhaust note sounds killer! and congratulations on your upgraded zuki
Please keep updating the thread.
Also it'd be great if you could post some exterior pictures of your car. Btw, what treads are you currently running on? Hope its somewhere around the 195/R15 ballpark!
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:02   #20
BHPian

Congratulations for sprucing up your ride. You essentially have the Ertiga engine under your hood, although with higher power ratings. Neat job.
Fellow owners have been complaining about the lack of punch in the K12B mill. I on the other hand believe that it packs quite a punch for the displacement and is definitely better off than the erstwhile G13B.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:40   #21
Pal
BHPian

Hey looks like a real good mod done by JB and his team! Thanks for the write up, graphs and pics!

Quote:
All three major components are changed - crank, rod and the pistons, and yes, the milling was done to increase the compression
I am pretty much unaware of the ways and means of after-market mods (yaya call me a 'noob') so I'd really appreciate if you could shed some light on the foll:

1) AFAIK, one cant change the stock crank's throw. Hence, what were the changes done on the new crank such that it offers a new throw?

2) From my calculations, if bore and crank throw are same, new stroke would be increased by 12.1mm (From stock 71.5mm for 1197cc, to 83.6mm for 1399cc). As you've mentioned, piston AND rods were changed accordingly. So are these from reputed Indian OEMs or imported?

3) For an increased stroke at same rpm, the piston has to travel a lot faster for eg:(x +12)mm/s. So Piston + ring sets were also changed. Or has the redline been lowered?

4) Finally, if stroke is increased, the TDC of piston is also changed and subsequently, compression ratio INCREASES. Why then was the head bottom face milled? Wouldn't that further increase the stock compression ratio (i.e. 10.0:1)?

Please do correct my content if I've gone wrong anywhere. Hope my questions (and the answers I seek) don't intrude upon any intellectual rights/ trade secrets of the modifiers.

Cheers!

Last edited by Pal : 3rd September 2013 at 16:43.
Pal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It was a stock Swift 1.2 VVT running a Unichip ECU which gave me a small boost in torque and power compared to stock which felt better than a bone stock 1.2 Swift. Later during its evolution i installed headers from N1 engineering and revised the air intake setup with BMC OTA air box which i imported myself. The latest addition was Magnaflow universal muffler which helped making the car respond faster to the throttle pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I drove it
Hi Sankar,

That is some nice work you have done on your car. Would love to look you up when I am in TVM next

I suppose JK would have your contacts

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
The exhaust note sounds killer! and congratulations on your upgraded zuki
Please keep updating the thread.
Also it'd be great if you could post some exterior pictures of your car. Btw, what treads are you currently running on? Hope its somewhere around the 195/R15 ballpark!
Thanks. Nothing to see on the outside of the car Looks just like any other Swift, no external mods. Its on 185 section tyres, 195 is what the Swift sport wears, so i don't need that much thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congratulations for sprucing up your ride. You essentially have the Ertiga engine under your hood, although with higher power ratings. Neat job.
Fellow owners have been complaining about the lack of punch in the K12B mill. I on the other hand believe that it packs quite a punch for the displacement and is definitely better off than the erstwhile G13B.
Yes and thanks!
G13B is still a great motor with loads of options going in for it, K hardly has any. Its from the generation when saving earth wasn't much of a concern. Sure the new K is more efficient and better compared stock to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Hey looks like a real good mod done by JB and his team! Thanks for the write up, graphs and pics!

I am pretty much unaware of the ways and means of after-market mods (yaya call me a 'noob') so I'd really appreciate if you could shed some light on the foll:

1) AFAIK, one cant change the stock crank's throw. Hence, what were the changes done on the new crank such that it offers a new throw?

2) From my calculations, if bore and crank throw are same, new stroke would be increased by 12.1mm (From stock 71.5mm for 1197cc, to 83.6mm for 1399cc). As you've mentioned, piston AND rods were changed accordingly. So are these from reputed Indian OEMs or imported?

3) For an increased stroke at same rpm, the piston has to travel a lot faster for eg:(x +12)mm/s. So Piston + ring sets were also changed. Or has the redline been lowered?

4) Finally, if stroke is increased, the TDC of piston is also changed and subsequently, compression ratio INCREASES. Why then was the head bottom face milled? Wouldn't that further increase the stock compression ratio (i.e. 10.0:1)?

Please do correct my content if I've gone wrong anywhere. Hope my questions (and the answers I seek) don't intrude upon any intellectual rights/ trade secrets of the modifiers.

Cheers!
Yes JB and his team did a great job in implementing this hack of mine!

1) Yes, its possible to change the stock crank's throw by welding and offset grinding and/or by offset grinding and using a rod with smaller big end. But no changes were done on the new crank we used a crank with more stroke.

2) The parts are OEM.

3) Redline has not been altered.

4) TDC of the piston does not change, rods and piston are built to sit flush with the deck at TDC. Compression ratio increases due larger swept volume, but to prevent that pistons used are of dished type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Sankar,

That is some nice work you have done on your car. Would love to look you up when I am in TVM next

I suppose JK would have your contacts

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Thanks. Sure, JK has my contacts. Let me know when you guys meet.
Old 4th September 2013, 00:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Superb job Sankar.

Did you increase the port dia?

I would imagine the Ertiga motor to have a different cam profile & VVT setting no?
Old 4th September 2013, 15:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Superb job Sankar.

Did you increase the port dia?

I would imagine the Ertiga motor to have a different cam profile & VVT setting no?
Jb/sapl might be able to give more information on porting specs, i don't have it. As per him it the ports weren't opened much.
Yes, the Ertiga motor probably has a different VVT setting, but i believe that the cam profile might be the same.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th September 2013 at 15:02.
Old 6th September 2013, 04:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Jb/sapl might be able to give more information on porting specs, i don't have it. As per him it the ports weren't opened much.

Yes, the Ertiga motor probably has a different VVT setting, but i believe that the cam profile might be the same.
Thanks Sankar & others for the kind words ! It's the passion that keep things moving !

The ports were cleaned up to remove imperfections. There were also some mismatches in port profiles between the manifold-to-head connecting duct and the manifold itself - these were made equal. There were also some steps in the inlet ports which would have clearly caused flow disturbances. These were removed.

The cam profiles could be different. We did not play around with the VVT timing although it is possible with the Unichip. The modifications were large enough for one episode, and we would like to take it step by step.

"3) For an increased stroke at same rpm, the piston has to travel a lot faster for eg:(x +12)mm/s. So Piston + ring sets were also changed. Or has the redline been lowered?

4) Finally, if stroke is increased, the TDC of piston is also changed and subsequently, compression ratio INCREASES. Why then was the head bottom face milled? Wouldn't that further increase the stock compression ratio (i.e. 10.0:1)?"

The pistons are still far below the theoretical maximum linear piston speeds allowed. Hence we are able to maintain the redline at the same level. In our race car, we run a 90 mm G16 based motor upto 8300 rpm !

Yes, the head was milled for increased compression ratio.

Cheers

Last edited by sapl : 6th September 2013 at 04:17.
sapl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 22:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapl View Post
"3) For an increased stroke at same rpm, the piston has to travel a lot faster for eg:(x +12)mm/s. So Piston + ring sets were also changed. Or has the redline been lowered?

The pistons are still far below the theoretical maximum linear piston speeds allowed. Hence we are able to maintain the redline at the same level. In our race car, we run a 90 mm G16 based motor upto 8300 rpm !

Yes, the head was milled for increased compression ratio.
First off. Great work..congrats!

What rings were used to replace the stock onces? and how are they better at handling the higher speed. Does the engine have piston cooling jets?

CR is also a function of the piston dome shape & land volume.

So now, there are 3 changes that have affected CR....head milling, stroke, piston dome shape & land volume. Any idea what it is right now. Will a compression test give you a clue?
Old 7th September 2013, 11:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

I took out the air filter for cleaning on Thursday evening and found that it was very dirty! Would there would've been any performance gains if tuned with a clean filter I forgot to check the filter this time.

Pic of the dirty filter..
Maruti Swift "Special" - 1.4L VVT, Unichip Tuned, 112 BHP!-20130905_181224.jpg

Post cleaning..
Maruti Swift "Special" - 1.4L VVT, Unichip Tuned, 112 BHP!-20130905_184809.jpg
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 20:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have seen that some of the crazy mods come from the gods own country. You guys surely love to experiment with your cars !!

Swift surely deserves at least the K14 engine doing duty on Ertiga. Who knows, we might see the sporty petrol cars once diesel prices get de-regulated
Old 9th September 2013, 13:23   #30

I really loved what you did with the engine. But i do have a few queries and forgive me if i sound stupid. You have mentioned that you have mildly polished the head. Well, would there have been a greater power gain if the head was completely and fully ported and polished. Maybe 10 bhp more? And also would it be possible to change the VVT settings like that on the VTEC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks