Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 09:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 4 year old Verna. Did not want to spend too much, so the 3D, 3M etc was ruled out. Did not want a repeat of the rubber mats as well. I had seen rolls of the noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad), so thought I would do a DIY with this. Was a long weekend with Monday being a holiday, I thought I would take this up. Really happy that it came out well. Will observe for few days and maybe do a repeat for my X1.
The material is available in two widths - 2 feet and 4 feet. It is sold in sq ft, so its important that you first take an approx measure of how much you will need so as to avoid wastage. I bought a 2 feet width one (beige colour), 8.5 feet length. Thats 17 sq ft. After a bit of bargaining, got it at Rs. 1300. I'm sure you will get it cheaper if you scout around. I got it at approx Rs 76/sq ft.
Next is to get a newspaper template of the exact dimensions and then cutting the material as per this template. You will always need to do some final tweaking in the car - especially to accomodate the cutting for dead pedal, fuel lid opener etc.
Tools needed - Good pair of scissors, Measuring tape, Marker.
Let the pictures do the talking. Hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-roll.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-material.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-paper-template.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-marking.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-rear-right.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-rear.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front-initial.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front-final.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front-driver-installed.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front-driver-installed2.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front-driver-installed3.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-rear-right-installed.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (82) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 12:04   #2
BHPian

re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 4 year old Verna. Did not want to spend too much, so the 3D, 3M etc was ruled out.
They are very good indeed. I have it on my swift now. Did the same method of taking the template with news paper. Here in cochin the mat costs around 80rs/sqft though. The result is awesome. Better than any mats IMO, considering the cost of it. Works brilliant when there is chance of lot sand getting inside the car. Like in our area the shoes pick up quite a lot of sand and you will end up grinding the sand on the floor mats. Which is annoying and looks really bad. With this all the sand and mud will go inside those curly thing and shoes will be clean as well
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 12:44   #3
BHPian

Hey dinu2506,
This is something I've been thinking of doing for some time, but did not get around doing.
BTW Where in B'lore did you buy the mats?
Old 8th September 2013, 12:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks. My 2008 Verna mats are seriously worn out, and no one seems to be offering a VFM solution (no old verna mats in stock, sir!). Only expensive stuff like 3D Kagu available. Now you have given me an inexpensive and effective way out.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The material is available in two widths - 2 feet and 4 feet. It is sold in sq ft, so its important that you first take an approx measure of how much you will need so as to avoid wastage. I bought a 2 feet width one (beige colour), 8.5 feet length. Thats 17 sq ft. After a bit of bargaining, got it at Rs. 1300. I'm sure you will get it cheaper if you scout around. I got it at approx Rs 76/sq ft.

That is a nice project and seems inexpensive looking at the end product. Pray share with us where you bought this in Bangalore.

Also update us how this holds up in the rain that we are getting in Bangalore. I would like to make these for my X1 as well since the BMW mats are just too expensive.
Old 8th September 2013, 14:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
They are very good indeed. I have it on my swift now. Did the same method of taking the template with news paper. Here in cochin the mat costs around 80rs/sqft though. The result is awesome. Better than any mats IMO, considering the cost of it. Works brilliant when there is chance of lot sand getting inside the car. Like in our area the shoes pick up quite a lot of sand and you will end up grinding the sand on the floor mats. Which is annoying and looks really bad. With this all the sand and mud will go inside those curly thing and shoes will be clean as well
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Hey dinu2506,
This is something I've been thinking of doing for some time, but did not get around doing.
BTW Where in B'lore did you buy the mats?
Bought it from Thippasandra, I guess it should be available in any furnishing shop. Might get better deals if you go to Chikpet or such places

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hey thanks. My 2008 Verna mats are seriously worn out, and no one seems to be offering a VFM solution (no old verna mats in stock, sir!). Only expensive stuff like 3D Kagu available. Now you have given me an inexpensive and effective way out.
Thanks, if you are in Bangalore, feel free to drop in and use my mats as templates. Will avoid you the trouble of taking newspaper templates
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvokk View Post

That is a nice project and seems inexpensive looking at the end product. Pray share with us where you bought this in Bangalore.

Also update us how this holds up in the rain that we are getting in Bangalore. I would like to make these for my X1 as well since the BMW mats are just too expensive.
Thanks, bought this from a furnishing store in Thippasandra. My X1 is the next guinea pig if this holds up well, which it should.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 8th September 2013 at 15:04.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 15:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 4 year old Verna.
Sorry but my question is linked to the first line of your post.

I am not happy with the fitting of after market ICE in the car. Could you please suggest if you are able to get a perfect fit 2 DIN ICE in Verna.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
hey I wanted to discuss about the ICE in old Verna. I too have 2008 Verna and am not able to get a good fit 2 DIN ICE for the car.

Can you please help?

Last edited by bblost : 10th September 2013 at 15:53. Reason: back 2 back.
Old 10th September 2013, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Hey I too have gone for these floor mats rather than those expensive 3M nomad mats. This DIY was done last year and purchased 16sqft of mats from a shop on JC road at Rs 60 per sqft. Have been using them for almost a year and I'm happy to report that they have held up rather well.

However, the point where driver's heel makes contact with the mat have substantially higher wear and tear (which is quite expected). What I have also done is gone for a single piece mat for the rear, quite similar to 3D kagu mats, rather than have 3 individual pieces for the left, center and right footwell.

Will be posting pictures of the driver's side mat soon.

Overall I am mighty impressed and I don't care if they last for half the life of a 3M mats as they costed me just one forth of its price.

Last edited by rohittunga : 10th September 2013 at 15:59.
rohittunga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 12:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvokk View Post

As you enter JC Road from Corporation Circle side (so you are walking against the one way traffic flow coming from Lalbagh side), there are few shops on the right hand side which sell these kind of mats at wholesale rates. They have some varieties of these mats at different costs. The ones shown in this thread can be bought at Rs.60/sqft after bargaining (they quoted Rs.70 per square feet). There is an expensive variety of the same type which they quoted Rs.120 per square feet but that also (which we found out later) should be available at Rs.70 to Rs.80 per sqft after some bargaining. Check out the base of these mats as some variety has a softer foam (gives better grip) like base which could wear out faster. Hope this helps and of course, please use your judgement for quality and rates when you bargain
freewheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 12:55   #10

Hey..I did the 3M nomads for my car assuming that they would be superior to the regular DuroSoft mats. Seems to be a misconception though. A couple of months and the driver heel part is already work out. Not expecting it to go too much longer. Mind it that the other areas, i.e. passenger side, centre and back look awesome. Its only the heel part of your shoe where you grind into the mat for accelerating / braking that seems to have work out. Didnt expect it to go in a couple of months though....
Old 11th September 2013, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driiive! View Post
passenger side, centre and back look awesome. Its only the heel part of your shoe where you grind into the mat for accelerating / braking that seems to have work out. Didnt expect it to go in a couple of months though
Even this does the same. Those heel area does go a bit soon. You need to replace the driver side in, say once in 6 months. It might cost near 150~160 rs.

But what I did was removing the 'noodle' from the heel area. The reason was I did feel my feet a bit higher because of the thickness of the mat. So I cleared only the heal area (with a scissor) and voila! Problem solved. It won't look bad since it wasn't removed by the grinding with your foot and since it is already removed there is no need to change the mat also
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 14:43   #12

I too probably will have to cut out a patch of the noodle from the driver foot area, not by choice, but by compulsion..hehe!
Old 11th September 2013, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Even this does the same. Those heel area does go a bit soon. You need to replace the driver side in, say once in 6 months. It might cost near 150~160 rs.

But what I did was removing the 'noodle' from the heel area. The reason was I did feel my feet a bit higher because of the thickness of the mat. So I cleared only the heal area (with a scissor) and voila! Problem solved. It won't look bad since it wasn't removed by the grinding with your foot and since it is already removed there is no need to change the mat also
Can you post a picture of the same. Will be really helpful.

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2013, 18:22   #14
BHPian

Thanks so much for this very useful thread dinu2506! My Alto k10 mats are worn out and this would be a really cost effective way to get it done.

The beauty of this DIY is, if one of the mats wears out faster (eg. the driver side) you only need to replace that mat which is worn out. Dont have to buy a set again. That is super cost effective!

This is giving me ideas. Except the one below the driver seat, all my other mats are in showroom condition. I am thinking if I should use this noodle mat for just the driver seat and leave the other OEM mats as they are. It could look a little out of place in the car, but what the heck, it wont cost me more than 100 bucks!

By the way, wouldn't it be easier to use the OEM mats for measurement/template than using a newspaper?

Last edited by veyron_head : 11th September 2013 at 18:33. Reason: Added some content
Old 12th September 2013, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 4 year old Verna. Did not want to spend too much, so the 3D, 3M etc was ruled out. Did not want a repeat of the rubber mats as well. I had seen rolls of the noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad), so thought I would do a DIY with this. Was a long weekend with Monday being a holiday, I thought I would take this up. Really happy that it came out well. Will observe for few days and maybe do a repeat for my X1.
Next is to get a newspaper template of the exact dimensions and then cutting the material as per this template. You will always need to do some final tweaking in the car - especially to accomodate the cutting for dead pedal, fuel lid opener etc.
Tools needed - Good pair of scissors, Measuring tape, Marker.
Let the pictures do the talking. Hope you like it.
Dang! On 1st of September, I picked up the Nomad mat from 3M store in HSR Layout for my Beemer! And I paid 5714 for it!

Why didn't I think of this solution! Anyway, thanks a ton for the information. I shall implement this in my other rides as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks