Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
@Turboindia
Don't u have the Tarox brake pads and cross-drilled rotors for the Honda?? I've driven Jerry's car and its pretty good.

That should be the cheapest and best thing to do i guess, cost arnd 20-25k if i'm not wrong (for the Skoda)
Hey TurboIndia can you give me some more info on above items? also your previous Turbo Honda city which you sold off did it had rear disc brakes?
& thanks for the contact info will call him up soon.

@ ~ HONDA ~ Thats a compliment for me ~ Thank you ~

& i want my braking to improve so i am looking for a simple, cheaper & cost effective solution.
I know some of Wildwood Brake Kits (slightly bigger Cross drilled Rotors, Calipers,Pads etc)that will Fit the Honda with minor alteration but they cost a bomb!

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 15th June 2006 at 21:12.
Old 16th June 2006, 08:54   #17
BHPian

Yes my turbo honda did have disks at the rear.

I dont know anyone in mumbai who can source these for you.

We dont have Tarox rotors for the honda's as yet. We have only for the Skoda's & Fiesta and pads also for the Accent

Rgds
Old 16th June 2006, 13:09   #18
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services all over the board.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th June 2006 at 09:31.
Old 17th June 2006, 18:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
where do we get the hardware ?Can you get the estimate for that from people in madras & pics with rear disc break will be great i might be interested in it ,,,,errrr,,,,, wrong word, ! I need it !

cc: nitrous you listening.
That car's kit came from Thailand. I dont see that car regularly to take a snap of the brakes.
Old 19th June 2006, 14:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Turboindia,

How much of a difference do you feel the rear discs made on the OHC ?

cya
R
Old 19th June 2006, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

A basic doubt... my apologies if I am missing something-

As per my knowledge, rear disks should not be really necessary. The reason is that most (60-90%) of the braking job is done by front wheels alone. First of all, front wheels carry more load (due to the engine). Additionally, as you brake a lot of weight gets transferred to front wheels, while further reducing the load on rear wheels. This makes rear wheels much more prone to locking (which may in turn result in fishtailing). In fact there is a safety feature called "proportioning valve" to apply only certain (lesser) percentage of brake force to rear wheels as compared to front ones to make braking more stable, even at high speeds. It is indeed a crude, fixed brake force distibution system in place! Therefore front disk- rear drum setup should be more than enough. It also makes the parking brake system easier. This is the reason why many cars use use this setup, not meerly for economy.

Considering above facts, why do we still need disks at rear? Are there any specific advantages? (especially for non-ABS cars)
Old 19th June 2006, 17:12   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s

As per my knowledge, rear disks should not be really necessary. The reason is that most (60-90%) of the braking job is done by front wheels alone. First of all, front wheels carry more load (due to the engine). Additionally, as you brake a lot of weight gets transferred to front wheels, while further reducing the load on rear wheels. This makes rear wheels much more prone to locking (which may in turn result in fishtailing). In fact there is a safety feature called "proportioning valve" to apply only certain (lesser) percentage of brake force to rear wheels as compared to front ones to make braking more stable, even at high speeds. It is indeed a crude, fixed brake force distibution system in place! Therefore front disk- rear drum setup should be more than enough. It also makes the parking brake system easier. This is the reason why many cars use use this setup, not meerly for economy.

Considering above facts, why do we still need disks at rear? Are there any specific advantages? (especially for non-ABS cars)

Hi Santosh,

What you are referring to is Adjustable Brake Bias Valve which adjusts the braking pressure between front and rear brakes. These are mainly used/found in race cars or high performance sports cars. Almost all rally cars have this feature.

It is not required for the regular passenger cars and to answer your question YES disc brakes at the rear are far safer than the drum brakes.

Viper
Old 19th June 2006, 17:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reduced brake fade, less braking effort, no need to adjust linings
Old 19th June 2006, 21:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
What you are referring to is Adjustable Brake Bias Valve which adjusts the braking pressure between front and rear brakes. These are mainly used/found in race cars or high performance sports cars. Almost all rally cars have this feature.
Actually, Viper, some cars DO have this valve. The Safari definitely has an LSPV or load sensing proportioning valve, unless I'm mistaken. Not sure about the regular sedans we drive, though.

Is this adjustable brake bias valve a bolt-on mod? And where is it available?
Old 19th June 2006, 22:03   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Actually, Viper, some cars DO have this valve. The Safari definitely has an LSPV or load sensing proportioning valve, unless I'm mistaken. Not sure about the regular sedans we drive, though.

Is this adjustable brake bias valve a bolt-on mod? And where is it available?
Hi,

Check this link out.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...g_valves.shtml

Viper
Old 19th June 2006, 22:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
where do we get the hardware ?Can you get the estimate for that from people in madras & pics with rear disc break will be great i might be interested in it ,,,,errrr,,,,, wrong word, ! I need it !

cc: nitrous you listening.
My friend has disc brakes at the rear of his OHC and recently even bought some racing pads. I'll help u source them.
Meanwhile, speak with Das and let me know.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper

Hi Viper, that link was very informative.

My car - baleno has this kind of valve. Though I don't know if it can change the proportion depending on loading or speed, amount of braking etc. Apart from improving actual braking forces, it also serves another purpose of accounting for different types of brakes in front and rear. The reason is that drum brakes are kind of "self actuating", they need relatively lesser force applied to its shoues than disk brakes. It is little difficult to find out which cars do have it and which don't, because it may or may not be advertised or included in "user" spec sheet.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Reduced brake fade, less braking effort, no need to adjust linings
linings adjustment part should not be applicable for "self adjusting" drum brakes. At least the baleno has it, too... no idea about OHC/NHC. Only thing is that you should check its health during servicing, otherwise it may gather dirt or rust and stop working!

I guess braking effort could be compensated by vaccume assist systems (and self adjusting mechanism as well). In fact drum brakes require lesser force as mentioned in the previous post, thats why it makes parking brake easier. Are you referring to additional distance that the pedal may have to travel in case of fadded shoues? I was wondering there must be something else also that makes disk brakes better than drums in general!

Last edited by santosh.s : 20th June 2006 at 12:05.
Old 20th June 2006, 12:09   #29
BHPian

It is actually a pretty easy job if you have all the tools and the equipment with a mechanical inclination you can do it yr self
i dont know abt abs though

67 camaro

http://lugnutz.com/67ftbrks.htm

1997 honda
http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dtrk..._40569,00.html
Old 20th June 2006, 16:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think so....
If you think Rear Drums are better than Disc then please explain why do cars like Skoda, Accord and other cars in their segment have rear Disc....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks