Team-BHP - 2013-style ORVMs on an '09 Innova
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   2013-style ORVMs on an '09 Innova (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/143711-2013-style-orvms-09-innova.html)

Disclaimer: Mods :-please merge this thread with a similar one if it exists. It's just that I could not find a thread with a DIY on upgraging wiring harness of Innova.

Background:
I have always wanted my wing mirrors to supplement my turn indicators for additional safety.
It s due to this that I harboured thoughts of retrofitting the 2013 model wing mirrors on my 2009 model.

But the conversion may not be as easy as it sounds. It appears that aside from the mirrors themselves , one or more wiring harnesses need to be changed out.

Now the SA told me that it is not standard procedure. But I am reluctant to give up.

I know the new wing mirror and old wing mirror both end in slightly different connectors (slightly different because the new ones carry the turn signal wires).
Given that I can assume the door side connectors and hence the harness from door to some point inside the car are also different between the two model years.
I am trying to build an inventory of parts that I would need to change out, so that all I need to really negotiate is the cost of labour
Can any Team-BHPian help me?

Has anyone retrofitted these mirrors before for Innova?

It should be very much possible.

My car back home in India.

2013-style ORVMs on an '09 Innova-32449_1459810618724_1337161362_31231861_4873682_n.jpg

2013-style ORVMs on an '09 Innova-dscn1285.jpg

In theory it's very much possible! I was actually looking for similar things for my 2011 SX4. Same case - 2013 SX4 has turn indicators on ORVM and they are foldable as well. So I approached my trusted SA and requested for the setup. But unfortunately SA told me that this needs complete wiring harness fitting right from the connections that carry from inside and the mirrors themselves. That actually is a costly and non standard repair. So he just denied the job. When I insisted, it appeared like they will somehow do it but the charges will be huge. For SX4 they were talking around 15K! That is actually not at all practical. Hence I finally gave up :( I have actually read a post somewhere on the forum here about a delhite retrofitting this through DIY and it's pretty good DIY! Again, he had the right FNG support which I don't and hence this has remained wish only. I hope in your case, you will be able to get through the dealer himself this fitment done. Best of luck, it's an indeed a good addition provided the price is reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3280517)
I have always wanted my wing mirrors to supplement my turn indicators for additional safety.

Can i suggest a slightly crude alternative?

You get Galio chrome/body coloured mirror covers with inbuilt blinkers .

All you'll need to do is to put the chrome/body coloured covers on the existing mirrors and route the blinkers' wiring to the side blinkers on the fenders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityvic (Post 3280531)
It should be very much possible.

My car back home in India.

And I do see the side indicators on the mirrors, and by the looks it's not a 2013 car. They started offering the side indicators on the 2012 model year IIRC, but the grille of 2012 and earlier year is very similar. Hence I am unable to figure out if your wing mirrors were company fitted or you have successfully modded this feature in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 3280567)
Can i suggest a slightly crude alternative?

You get Galio chrome/body coloured mirror covers with inbuilt blinkers .

All you'll need to do is to put the chrome/body coloured covers on the existing mirrors and route the blinkers' wiring to the side blinkers on the fenders.

Thought about that. They can actually look good as well. But the problem is passing the signal wire through the connectors on the door and mirror. Bypassing the connectors, runs the risk of shorting the wires.
But anyways can you pass me details of some retailers of this product in the NCR region? Maybe I can go take a look and understand how they install it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3280701)
And I do see the side indicators on the mirrors, and by the looks it's not a 2013 car. They started offering the side indicators on the 2012 model year IIRC, but the grille of 2012 and earlier year is very similar. Hence I am unable to figure out if your wing mirrors were company fitted or you have successfully modded this feature in.

My car in question here is a 2007 May G4 Variant. They did not come with side indicators as standard then. It is the first gen Innova with the facelift bumpers and lights. Toyota though very much offered it as an Official Toyota Accessory. I got these mirrors fitted from a leading accessory store Glix here in Calcutta. I paid a 1/3rd of the price asked by Toyota and even after 7 years of usage of the car, those lights still work.

In short, fitting the OVRM's with the turn indicators should be very much possible on any Innova irrespective of the year or variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3280517)
Has anyone retrofitted these mirrors before for Innova?

I've had the original Toyota Accessory Mirror mounted turn signals from day one on my 2006 Innova, installed right at the dealer.

There is no need to change harness, you can tap into the side pod indicator wiring easily.

The Toyota accessory had Chrome finish, and is glued on to the original mirrors. Not cheap, if I recall.

Cheers

joy babu,

Here are the dealers for Galio in NCR obtained from the galio website.

WEST DELHI

OM CAR CARE

10|76,SUBHASH NAGAR. NEW DELHI-110027

011-25131575

VK4WORK@GMAIL.COM

NORTH DELHI

AGGARWAL CAR ACCESSORIES

C-571,SARASWATI VIHAR,DELHI-110034 LAND MARK:OPP.C-BLOCK BUS STAND

AGGARWALCARACCESSORIES@GMAIL.COM

CENTRAL DELHI

JANET CAR

L.G.2 RAVIENDER PLAZA BLDG.10178 ABDUL AZIZ ROAD KAROL BAGH DELHI

011-64735510

EAST DELHI 2

SHRI BALAJI

H.NO. 90 RASHID MARKET DELHI -51

011-20486140

SOUTH DELHI

PAHWA

B-21 PART 1 LAJPAT NAGAR MARKET

011-29811721

PAHWA_ENTERPRISES@YAHOO.COM

NOIDA

HUNK

B-183,CENTRAL AUTO MKT.,SEC-16,NOIDA,U.P.

0120-6511172

HUNKENTERPRISES@YAHOO.COM

GHAZIABAD

K.H AUTO

H-11,PATEL NAGAR 3rd GZB.(U.P) LANDMARK:OPP:AGERSEN BHAWAN

SANJEEV.FUSION@G.MAIL.COM

GURGAON & FARIDABAD

CLASSIC TRADERS

WARD NO 5 HOUSE NO 39/1 GALI NO 3 RAJIV NAGAR GUDGOAN

011-4371980

CLASSIC.TRADERS86@YAHOO.IN