Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 01:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
[ My priority, as I said above is slight lowering but just can't compromise on the ride quality/comfort so looking for something that is a fusion of all this.
My advise is to stick to BMW parts

negotiate with the dealer and have him order springs and struts for the low GC car. He will look up his database and tell you exactly what parts have changed.

Dealer will buyback the parts he took off your car and sell it to someone who lives in rural area and wants the extra GC. Or someone who suspension has worn out.
Your nett cost may be zero (depending on your negotiating skills)

After installing those, your car will look and feel like the ones during the F30 launch.

Any aftermarket suspension will ruin the ride and GC and make the car less practical.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th November 2013 at 01:04.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 01:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
My advise is to stick to BMW parts

negotiate with the dealer and have him order springs and struts for the low GC car. He will look up his database and tell you exactly what parts have changed.

Dealer will buyback the parts he took off your car and sell it to someone who lives in rural area and wants the extra GC. Or someone who suspension has worn out.
Your nett cost may be zero (depending on your negotiating skills)

After installing those, your car will look and feel like the ones during the F30 launch.

Any aftermarket suspension will ruin the ride and GC and make the car less practical.
Mpower, thanks a lot for your opinion but believe me I did inquire the same from the dealer and they said that they can't alter the suspension as that would void the suspension warranty. As per GTO, dipen and Akshay's advice, I checked whether I could just get the springs of the EU/US spec F30 but to my surprise I found that even the shocks of the 'poor road package' equipped F30s are different from the EU/US kits hence I took this decision. Going by the feedback I got from F30 users who have installed the BC Racing coilovers I found that the ride quality is compromised by around 20% on the softer damping setups of these coilovers and at the maximum height, these are just lowered by around 15mm.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 28th November 2013 at 01:16.
Old 28th November 2013, 02:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why so? you are more likely to lose the warranty with the BC kit....unless your're hoping they wont notice.

Shocks are matched to spring so you always want to change them as a set. Yes sport spring with stock shocks will make the car jiggly (underdamped)

You have better luck getting goodwill warranty with BMW parts. Then again, there is the cost factor

Last edited by Mpower : 28th November 2013 at 20:59.
Old 28th November 2013, 05:23   #19
BHPian

BMW M Performance chassis upgrade, sits nearly an inch lower after it settles. You don't lose warranty and it's all oem so it's made to work with the car. You get the thicker M sport roll bars as well which should reduce some of that nasty body roll.

Going for an aftermarket suspension on a new car may not be the best idea, I would suggest buying a car that 100% satisfies your needs - performance and looks instead of fixing something that you don't like with the F30.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the feedback I got from F30 users who have installed the BC Racing coilovers I found that the ride quality is compromised by around 20% on the softer damping setups of these coilovers and at the maximum height, these are just lowered by around 15mm.
Did you look up the M kit that's available (full kit or component upgrade) for your F30 from the dealer? Granted it'll be an expensive option, but if you want to hold onto the car's regular warranty that's the only way to do it.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:29   #21
BHPian

I'm assuming the dampers on the earlier cars was the same. Ask the dealer to get you springs from the cars before the ground clearance was increased. Alternatively you could swap them with an existing owner who desires the extra mm of clearance. This in my opinion will be most cost effective while retaining your warranty.

For lowered looks, get an M sport body kit and side skirts.
Old 28th November 2013, 22:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why so? you are more likely to lose the warranty with the BC kit....unless your're hoping they wont notice.

Shocks are matched to spring so you always want to change them as a set. Yes sport spring with stock shocks will make the car jiggly (underdamped)

You have better luck getting goodwill warranty with BMW parts. Then again, there is the cost factor
Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
BMW M Performance chassis upgrade, sits nearly an inch lower after it settles. You don't lose warranty and it's all oem so it's made to work with the car. You get the thicker M sport roll bars as well which should reduce some of that nasty body roll.

Going for an aftermarket suspension on a new car may not be the best idea, I would suggest buying a car that 100% satisfies your needs - performance and looks instead of fixing something that you don't like with the F30.
Firstly, as I told you the dealer isn't willing to import the M-Perf suspension and I'm also afraid that getting them would result in car being too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Did you look up the M kit that's available (full kit or component upgrade) for your F30 from the dealer? Granted it'll be an expensive option, but if you want to hold onto the car's regular warranty that's the only way to do it.
M-Kit is for looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
I'm assuming the dampers on the earlier cars was the same. Ask the dealer to get you springs from the cars before the ground clearance was increased. Alternatively you could swap them with an existing owner who desires the extra mm of clearance. This in my opinion will be most cost effective while retaining your warranty.

For lowered looks, get an M sport body kit and side skirts.
The dealer said they can't arrange the springs. They are offering the M-Sport suspension which at 185k give a 0.5" drop hence I'm not too sure if its worth it
Old 28th November 2013, 22:18   #23
BHPian

How much are the BC Racing coilovers costing you?
185k for an M sport suspension is good value in my opinion compared to the Taiwanese BC Racing.

0.5" drop ie about 13mm on the original 140mm clearance I feel is adequate for our roads unless you're planning to 'slam' it like some rides down South.

Most importantly your warranty remains intact.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Firstly, as I told you the dealer isn't willing to import the M-Perf suspension and I'm also afraid that getting them would result in car being too low.

The dealer said they can't arrange the springs. They are offering the M-Sport suspension which at 185k give a 0.5" drop hence I'm not too sure if its worth it
Dude M performance is M sport I think. What they are offering is M performance, except they are calling it M sport. Half an inch drop on the European clearance will be pretty good man. I would say that is the best option even though its more than after market options.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 23:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
How much are the BC Racing coilovers costing you?
185k for an M sport suspension is good value in my opinion compared to the Taiwanese BC Racing.

0.5" drop ie about 13mm on the original 140mm clearance I feel is adequate for our roads unless you're planning to 'slam' it like some rides down South.

Most importantly your warranty remains intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Dude M performance is M sport I think. What they are offering is M performance, except they are calling it M sport. Half an inch drop on the European clearance will be pretty good man. I would say that is the best option even though its more than after market options.
Nope. They are different in the case of suspensions bro. I thought the same previously but M-Performance suspension basically sits 10mm lower than the M-Sport.

This whole thing is getting on my nerves because I have no clue how will the car change after these. It says 20mm lower than standard suspension on the catalog but if you visually compare it with our suspension, it looks like a good 2" lower. With these, I won't even have the option of adjusting the height so IF the car get's too low I'm gone

Here is a picture of a US spec F30 on M-Performance suspension;
BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-mperf.jpg
Old 29th November 2013, 00:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope. They are different in the case of suspensions bro. I thought the same previously but M-Performance suspension basically sits 10mm lower than the M-Sport.

This whole thing is getting on my nerves because I have no clue how will the car change after these. It says 20mm lower than standard suspension on the catalog but if you visually compare it with our suspension, it looks like a good 2" lower. With these, I won't even have the option of adjusting the height so IF the car get's too low I'm gone

Here is a picture of a US spec F30 on M-Performance suspension;
Attachment 1172411
As far as I know the M sport suspension is available only from the factory with the M sport package. Hence I assume your dealer is mixing up names, since I think only the M performance is sold aftermarket.

Besides this I think you should order the EU dampers and springs and just fit those. Will be cheapest and most practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
M Sport Suspension & M Performance Suspension both are different.

M performance suspension has a reduced the ride height of 10 mm compared to M Sport & 20 mm compared to normal Sportline.
I meant the dealer is mixing them up. Of course I know its different. And the M sport is anyway 10mm lower than the standard EU clearance.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th November 2013 at 00:06.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
M Sport Suspension & M Performance Suspension both are different.

M performance suspension has a reduced the ride height of 10 mm compared to M Sport & 20 mm compared to normal Sportline.

Quote:
Adi,

IMO buy the car spend a couple of months with it & then think of upgrades.

Last edited by karan561 : 29th November 2013 at 00:08.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 00:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know the M sport suspension is available only from the factory with the M sport package. Hence I assume your dealer is mixing up names, since I think only the M performance is sold aftermarket.

Besides this I think you should order the EU dampers and springs and just fit those. Will be cheapest and most practical.
M-Sport is same as the sport line suspension of the US spec cars. Again, sourcing the aftermarket dampers and springs and getting them installed would void the suspension warranty. Even though the dampers and springs would be OEM products they won't honour the suspension warranty as they would be considered as modification

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 29th November 2013 at 00:09.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
M-Sport is same as the sport line suspension of the US spec cars. Again, sourcing the aftermarket dampers and springs and getting them installed would void the suspension warranty
You are going to void suspension warranty no matter what suspension you install unless it is M performance (or your so called dealers M sport). So why not just take the most practical what is the EU dampers and springs. I don't understand?

M sport and sport line are different dude. I think you are getting thoroughly confused.

And build a rapport with your dealer, I am sure if you install BMW OE parts they will not void the warranty.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th November 2013 at 00:11.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
You are going to void suspension warranty no matter what suspension you install unless it is M performance (or your so called dealers M sport). So why not just take the most practical what is the EU dampers and springs. I don't understand?
Since the suspension warranty would be voided anyway, won't the coilovers be a better option? At least, I'll have the option of adjustable damping and adjustable ground clearance. I have mailed the parts manager regarding the M-Performance suspension again and warranty issues. Let's see. If he says my warranty will stay in tact with the EU dampers and springs I'll source them as it would be cheaper and give me a fair amount of clearance.

2nd option : If they give me a good buy back for my stock suspension I'll just go ahead and order the M-Sport/M-Performance.

3rd option : If the buyback is minimal like 10-20%, I'll just go with the coilovers as only the suspension warranty would be voided. Will keep the stock suspension setup with myself just incase... ...

Quote:
M sport and sport line are different dude. I think you are getting thoroughly confused.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791292

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754105

Go through these two links

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 29th November 2013 at 00:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks