Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 06:44   #16
BHPian

Re: My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts

It really is incredible how this platform is a decade old and still stirs emotion from the tuner community.

I purchased a 2002 VTEC in 2012. Its in great shape and I love driving it. Its the best 1.5 lacs I've spent!

I was wondering if you measured gains once you fitted your exhaust? I intend to install a custom cat back with Greddy headers I purchased off a TBHP member and wonder what I can expect.
Old 7th December 2013, 07:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
It really is incredible how this platform is a decade old and still stirs emotion from the tuner community.

I purchased a 2002 VTEC in 2012. Its in great shape and I love driving it. Its the best 1.5 lacs I've spent!

I was wondering if you measured gains once you fitted your exhaust? I intend to install a custom cat back with Greddy headers I purchased off a TBHP member and wonder what I can expect.
The 7.79 sec run is with Race Concepts exhaust, final drive and RD0901 ECU . Rest all stock. the run was from our initial days. Those greedy headers are not the ideal ones for our cars as they are intended for a 1.6 engine, ours is 1.5 so all the dimensions on that header are off
Old 9th December 2013, 13:39   #18
BHPian

What exactly is this "multi stage exhaust"? Is it a regular 4x1/4x2x1 or something more?
Old 12th December 2013, 23:52   #19
BHPian

This is our dual stage 4x1 exhaust system with varying sections. Built specific to the engine's power band requirement.
The car is now getting some added dope to the existing setup.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Wow. This thread has actually brought back memories of my Dark Green 1.5 EXi OHC. Need to see more pics, not just of the car but the components too.
Old 3rd January 2014, 17:23   #21
BHPian

Joel, you were going for a rear-disc setup for Karthik's car. Did you guys complete that? How much of an improvement did you see?

Last edited by cosmos : 3rd January 2014 at 17:24.
Old 7th January 2014, 17:01   #22
BHPian

Yes, the rear disc is already installed and has been running for over a week now.
We will soon take a short in-car acceleration video. We just finished the new exhaust, intake plumbing and a few bits. Just waiting for some free time in hand. The rear disc pads are just breaking in.
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 18:48   #23
BHPian

Rear disc being installed.
Attached Thumbnails
My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-50.jpg  

fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 14:54   #24
BHPian

Dear Fieroid - could you suggest similar performance upgrade for a Corolla please.
Old 9th January 2014, 19:05   #25
BHPian

The rear disc install went on smoothly, Joel designed a new exhaust which was up to spec with the changes that were made to the engine 6 months ago. The exhaust system is still being completed as i wanted a full system.

Brakes have an amazing bite to it. I am also running steel braided lines all around so the feel has improved.

few pics and a video of how the car moves

speedfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 14:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Brakes have an amazing bite to it. I am also running steel braided lines all around so the feel has improved.

few pics and a video of how the car moves

http://Youtu.be/b5aLSUWo090
Karthik, thanks for the feedback and the video. The car looks pretty planted with the suspension setup even round the corner. Saw the coilovers in the pic Joel has posted.
1. Saw strut-brace under the hood. Have you installed them at the rear in the boot too?
2. Are you running bigger injectors? If you've upgraded, to what cc?
3. Did you get a chance to time with a vbox?
4. O.T, why is your bumper black? Do you like it that way or you never wanted to paint them in case you got a replacement?

Last edited by cosmos : 14th January 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Merged the back-to-back posts
Old 14th January 2014, 19:26   #27
BHPian

Hi Cosmos,

The suspension has taken the car to a whole new level. Actually, suspension was my first investment on the car as i wanted the car to be ready to handle the power that Joel would make this single cam engine produce. Personally, there is no point driving a fast car that can't handle well.

Now for your questions
1. Saw strut-brace under the hood. Have you installed them at the rear in the boot too?
Yes i have both front top brace and rear top brace installed from Race Concepts. Need to install the bottom braces as well once Joel makes them.

2. Are you running bigger injectors? If you've upgraded, to what cc?
presently the car still runs the OE injector and throttle body. we will be upgrading both soon. The OE injector is maxed out at the moment

3. Did you get a chance to time with a vbox?
Nope. Presently my clutch is still OEM and tyres are bad :( am spinning the whole of first and the clutch sings once we do few runs. Need to replace the clutch with a staged one and get some grippy tyres

4. O.T, why is your bumper black? Do you like it that way or you never wanted to paint them in case you got a replacement?[/quote]
the front and the rear are new bumpers, I am yet to paint them as most of my funds get used up doing the mods

The car is a monster in every sense. The way the car accelerated and revs is to die for. We still need to do some more small changes to get the max out of the present setup.

Karthik
speedfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 11:25   #28
BHPian

Great thread Karthik! Hope you are doing well. Awesome set of mods there , plan to take my G13B to Joel one of these days , hope we can catch-up.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:25   #29
BHPian

Few pics of my car. Need to clean the car especially the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-uploadfromtaptalk1389772321177.jpg  

My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-uploadfromtaptalk1389772340425.jpg  

My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-uploadfromtaptalk1389772363362.jpg  

My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-uploadfromtaptalk1389772393572.jpg  

My Vtec (1st-gen City): Tuned by Race Concepts-uploadfromtaptalk1389772413329.jpg  

speedfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
The car is a monster in every sense. The way the car accelerated and revs is to die for. We still need to do some more small changes to get the max out of the present setup.
Definately the video resonates with what you've mentioned above
Thanks for the pics.

If I am not wrong, you've upsized your tyre dia to 15 inch and you have also lowered the car(from the space between wheel arch and tyre in the pic).
1. Aren't you facing issues with clearance on bumpy roads and speed Brakers?
2. Does the car bottom out with 5 people on board?
3. Does your suspension setup allow you to adjust the ride height? How much of an effort is it? Just a valve twist?
4. How much did the (suspension + strut brace front, back, top & bottom) cost you? Just the handling package.

You said you want to upsize the TB and injectors.
1. What size do you plan to go for?
2. Are you still not tempted to touch the internals? May be go for something with higher compression?
3. Or is it that you plan to go FI later and would keep stock internals for now until you're done with all the natural horses what it can offer?

I loved the way Joel has done the intake plumbing

Last edited by cosmos : 15th January 2014 at 14:53. Reason: Merged the posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks