Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 23:58   #46
BHPian

Re: EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Which oil does Ford use and cost?
It's an in-house oil they use, so not sure about the brand.
It costs around 200/- per litre if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Wish I get more technical feedback on this. Can I contact Vivek/ToT for this fuel issue clarity?!
Sure, you may contact them. Their contact details are provided on their website. If you are not able to get it, let me know. I'll PM you Vivek's number.
Old 1st February 2014, 01:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
It's an in-house oil they use, so not sure about the brand.
It costs around 200/- per litre if I remember correctly..
*Ford uses Castrol magnatic for the Ecosport so must be the same for others too.

*88Bhp is a great number for Figo.

*I am a firm believer of the fact ,regarding performance is that the driver is important and not the car.
*I am impressed with your driving skills and ofcourse mine too

*What are the negative implications on the engine with a remap?
*Also what do mean by an aggressive remap? And how does that effect the engine?
*How many kilometres have you munched so far?.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 01:34   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

AFAIK there should not be any negative effects on the car with a remap else not many would have gone ahead and done it. It is just the art in maintaining the car and knowing how to handle the car after the remap. Simple things like what Jayded mentioned: engine oil change and typre, air filter cleaning and filling fuel from a better outlet do help in reliability though they look pretty silly to an owner.

Aggressive remap should be reaching the maximum potential of the engine and its internals with peak stress on the components.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 10:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

@jayded, thanks for the clarifications. I have a few more questions:
  1. Is your car under warranty. If yes, hope there is no risk.
  2. About the 'feel' on the turbo shifting to post 2K rpm, are you sure that it is only a perception? I'm asking because minimal turbo lag was one of the key reasons I bought the Figo. I remember mobike008 posting that turbo lag got reduced with a box that he has installed.
  3. I'd like to know how one can clean the air filter. I tried once on my Fiesta, but got bewildered with the engine cover, etc. And by 'cleaning' do you mean blowing air on it with a vaccum cleaner?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 12:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
*Ford uses Castrol magnatic for the Ecosport so must be the same for others too.

*88Bhp is a great number for Figo.

*I am a firm believer of the fact ,regarding performance is that the driver is important and not the car.
*I am impressed with your driving skills and ofcourse mine too

*How many kilometres have you munched so far?.
Negative impacts on the engine should be more wear and tear on the components but with proper servicing and fluid changes, I think that should be taken care of. Another thing that I was advised, was to keep a check on prolonged WOT. With the higher state of tune, the EGR temperatures are much higher now and a longer duration of WOT will push it above limits which is unsafe for the turbo. So in short, don't floor it at higher gears for more than say 30-40 seconds, to be on the safer side. Ideally a WOT is not needed in top gear since the speed can be maintained with a much lesser throttle input, though we tend to do it.

An aggressive map is when you have pushed it to be more punchier up in the rev range and kind of peaked the safe limit of the engine. Earlier the Figo used to run out of breath at around 3.2K rpm and now goes all the way up to 3.6-3.8K. So you can upshift later. I am sure the fuel/air ratio dumped is also more hence the excessive smoke. And obviously the higher the state of tune, the more stress on the engine components and the turbo.

Odo reading: ~48,500 kms before remapping and has run around 600 kms since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@jayded, thanks for the clarifications. I have a few more questions:
  1. Is your car under warranty. If yes, hope there is no risk.
  2. About the 'feel' on the turbo shifting to post 2K rpm, are you sure that it is only a perception? I'm asking because minimal turbo lag was one of the key reasons I bought the Figo. I remember mobike008 posting that turbo lag got reduced with a box that he has installed.
  3. I'd like to know how one can clean the air filter. I tried once on my Fiesta, but got bewildered with the engine cover, etc. And by 'cleaning' do you mean blowing air on it with a vaccum cleaner?
Let me answer the questions in order.
1) My car is out of the 3 year warranty and so warranty is not a cause of concern.
2) When I said "feel", what I meant was the car still behaves like stock till 2K, and post that there is this punchy pull which makes you feel you were lagging till 2K. It's like the rush in the mid range now makes the low end (which is still behaving like stock) seem weak. We can't notice any turbo lag difference in the Figo, because the stock Figo doesn't have one like the Cruze.
3) I am assuming the engine cover assembly etc. in the Fiesta is similar to the Figo. If so, it's pretty simple. The engine cover can be pulled up easily if you notice where the plastic restrainers are. Once it's out, you'll see the air filter box. Point to note here is that you'll need a special allen-key screw driver (hexagonal cross-section) to open the screws (4 of them). The normal ones or the star/+ screw drivers won't work. To clean it, you can use a high pressure air pump or few strong taps on a wall is enough. The first option is recommended though. Hardly takes 5 minutes for the entire process. It's not as hard it appears to be.

Last edited by jayded : 1st February 2014 at 12:51.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 13:08   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
  1. I'd like to know how one can clean the air filter. I tried once on my Fiesta, but got bewildered with the engine cover, etc. And by 'cleaning' do you mean blowing air on it with a vaccum cleaner?
Use vacuum cleaner to blow the dust as it will not cause any serious issue as long as its opp direction of air flow through the filter. This is what I have been doing with my Ritz air filter and yet to do for the Swift.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 20:13   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Race Dynamics Tuning box for Ecosport

Since this is a discussion on the power increase options on the EcoSport , felt this is a appropriate place to put this review than the generic Race Dynamics thread so that it will be helpful for others who are planning for a power bump in their Eco sport.

A close friend and colleague had taken the delivery of Ecosport a month ago. He wanted a bump in the power as he felt the engine lacked the grunt on highway runs.He was pretty happy with the bump in power in my i20 with the RD tuning box and wanted get the same installed on his EcoSport. So we went along and got the box installed in his Eco Sport. The single channel box is available for the Eco sport and cost him 19,999 bucks. Drove for approx 50 kms in P2 mode for the box to learn the driving pattern.There was not much of a difference in the initial run.Later the car came out on its own elements. The pickup increased considerably and the initial lag which we experienced was gone. The engine pulled beautifully and there was oodles of torque well below 2500 RPM which was a revelation. In stock mode the torque was kinda flat between 2000 - 3000 RPM. But with the box on, the torque just after 2000 RPM was much much higher than stock!There was oodles of torque till 3000 RPM which is the most used range for diesels. I did not want to put back to P1 mode at all and was smiling as the car pulled strongly through the gears on the NICE road. Got the dyno maps from the facebook page of Race dynamics which pretty much reflects the power delivery that me and my friend experienced. Have attached the maps for every ones reference.

The Blue graph is economy mode.
Pink is stock
Green is P1
Red is P2.

As you can see the max torque in P2 mode is 266 nm and the stock is about 225 NM which translates into a good 18 Percent increase over stock. The stock Horse power is 96HP and it gets bumped up 110 HP to P2 Mode translating into 14.6% increase.Overall my friend is very happy with the new experience with the RD box
EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-ecosport-dyno.png
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 23:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Brother,

You are keen on increasing the power. Go ahead with remap and start having fun !

Your warranty will still be intact.

Enough of thinking, lets have the remap . Shall we ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 00:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Brother, You are keen on increasing the power. Go ahead with remap and start having fun ! Your warranty will still be intact. Enough of thinking, lets have the remap . Shall we ?
Hi,

I don't think the warranty will be intact with re-map option. As far as I know , the Bosch ecu cannot be remapped with that ease and the modification will be easily identifiable .

Thanks ,
Ranjith
Old 10th February 2014, 09:16   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
I don't think the warranty will be intact with re-map option. As far as I know , the Bosch ecu cannot be remapped with that ease and the modification will be easily identifiable
While remapping you can jewel the stock maps preserved with the tuner.

Incase of any problem faced you can revert to stock. This is what I have understood though this process takes long time but warranty I guess will be lost if such modifications are done.

Whereas the RD Box is a plug and play types where the stock can be plugged in prior to taking the car for service and no one in the ASC will be able to tell that a RD Box was being used.

Anurag.
Old 10th February 2014, 10:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since this is a discussion on the power increase options on the EcoSport , felt this is a appropriate place to put this review than the generic Race Dynamics thread so that it will be helpful for others who are planning for a power bump in their Eco sport.
Thats a nice report and seems like decent gain for the Ecosport. Iam yet to see anyone unhappy with the RD box. Iam using on my Cruze from a long time and pretty much satisfied with it till date and cant think of driving it without one

However, I always drive in P1 mode as P2 is really really fast and whenever iam in mood to enjoy it only then it goes into P2

P1 mode itself has been more than satisfactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You are keen on increasing the power. Go ahead with remap and start having fun ! Your warranty will still be intact.
Are you suggesting that a 1-month old Ford Ecosport with a remap done will still retain its warranty in event of something goes wrong?

Ford ASC is no Hyundai or Maruti to honour your warranty despite knowing you have tinkered with the ECU

Btw, is your car remapped?
Old 10th February 2014, 10:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thats a nice report and seems like decent gain for the Ecosport. Iam yet to see anyone unhappy with the RD box. Iam using on my Cruze from a long time and pretty much satisfied with it till date and cant think of driving it without one

However, I always drive in P1 mode as P2 is really really fast and whenever iam in mood to enjoy it only then it goes into P2

P1 mode itself has been more than satisfactory
Yea the gains look pretty good. Are you running a dual channel on your WA? I am running a dual channel since 16K kms on i20 and happy with it
Old 10th February 2014, 11:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you suggesting that a 1-month old Ford Ecosport with a remap done will still retain its warranty in event of something goes wrong?

Ford ASC is no Hyundai or Maruti to honour your warranty despite knowing you have tinkered with the ECU

Btw, is your car remapped?
I am running RD tuning box. I have to sell this box off before I can go for a remap.

From what I have read on the forum, unless you have major issue, ASS never checks the map the car is running.

Even if you have a major issue, the map can be reverted to stock map before you visit ASS, just like you would disconnect the box before visiting the ASS.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yea the gains look pretty good. Are you running a dual channel on your WA? I am running a dual channel since 16K kms on i20 and happy with it
I used a single channel box for roughly 10K kms and then switched to dual channel which is run about 10K kms now. I can see a major difference from single to dual channel itself

Quote:
From what I have read on the forum, unless you have major issue, ASS never checks the map the car is running.
True. But, would you take a risk of remap with a 1-month old Ford car? I personally would not even take it with even a tuning box. But, comparatively the risk is lower in a tuning box

Quote:
Even if you have a major issue, the map can be reverted to stock map before you visit ASS, just like you would disconnect the box before visiting the ASS.
Do you plan to learn how to remap your car or have the remap tuner in Pune? If no, then be prepared for some inconvenience for mapping and un-mapping ( if it's required)
Old 10th February 2014, 11:55   #60
BHPian

It is generally recommended to run-in the car before going for a remap or a tuning-box. It's done to iron out any QC issues in a new car which aren't uncommon.

The warranty issue is a valid one, but when it comes to preserving the warranty, let me tell you that one method is certainly not better than the other. Both remaps and tuning boxes CAN BE detected even if the remap is re-flashed back to stock or even if a tuning box is removed (yes, it is very much possible).

It's probably pointless to remove the tuning box before giving the car for service since any service technician who knows where to look can detect the prior-presence of a tuning box OR a remap at any point of time in the life of the ECU. Ancient EDC15 ECUs may be save you from detection (only to a certain degree) but any newer ECUs has almost every critical violation data logged and kept ready for factory-tech level analytics. The question is does the ASC even care or have the right expertise to detect?

Down south, almost every ASCs have got warmed up to remaps and tuning boxes and it is quite common to see a lot of ASCs selling tuning boxes. Also there are a quite a few ASCs who sends cars to us for remaps!

When it comes to big ticket warranty claims, a factory technician is usually involved and if they want to detect the prior use of a remap or a tuning box, they certainly WILL find it.

Quote:
Do you plan to learn how to remap your car or have the remap tuner in Pune? If no, then be prepared for some inconvenience for mapping and un-mapping ( if it's required)
That inconvenience will soon become a thing of the past. We are already beta-testing cloud-based remaps and will be ready for prime-time within this quarter. Remote remapping is indeed a reality and it isn't very expensive.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 10th February 2014 at 12:20.
Digital Vampire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks