Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 22:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?

All parts were re-fitted and given back, ECU was not re-mapped.
Old 15th August 2014, 16:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ecobeast,

How is it going after the remap ? How many kms have you completed ?
Old 8th September 2014, 14:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Hey Ecobeast, How is it going after the remap ? How many kms have you completed ?
Hi Ecobeast ,

Hope you have enjoyed many more miles with the remap.

How is it so far ? Any issues you faced ?

Thanks,
Ranjith
Old 14th October 2014, 16:37   #79
BHPian

Re: EcoSport Remapped and Modified - Remapping Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
Stay tuned for the review of the upgrade. I would be posting pictures of much better quality this time.
Congrats on the remap. Also get a good air filter from K&N or similar, you will see a noticeable difference.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th October 2014 at 16:59.
Old 14th October 2014, 21:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Congrats on the remap. Also get a good air filter from K&N or similar, you will see a noticeable difference.
Thank you CMS. I was initially thinking of going with K&N but after I did some research I found out two issues with it.
  1. In order to improve air flow, they allow particles of higher micron (larger size) as compared to stock filters. This is not good for the engine in the long run, especially when the car is new.
  2. These are oil based filters i.e. the fabric is not really dry. it is washed in oil. With time, particles of this oil gets deposited on the air (oxygen) sensor that is connected to the air intake pipe, behind the filter. This may causes it fail or send wrong readings to the ECU.
I finally decided to go with the option of cleaning the stock filter every 5k KM and replace it with every oil change (10k KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Hi Ecobeast ,

Hope you have enjoyed many more miles with the remap.

How is it so far ? Any issues you faced ?

Thanks,
Ranjith
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hey Ecobeast,

How is it going after the remap ? How many kms have you completed ?
Sorry Ranjith and F150, for the late response. I didn't come to know about your posts, probably because they weren't replies to mine.

I have driven 6000+ KM after the second remap. Yes. I got it remapped again from T-O-T and got a much more aggressive map.
The car has been running like a charm. Actually, more like a beast
Old 15th October 2014, 00:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you CMS. I was initially thinking of going with K&N but after I did some research I found out two issues with it.
  1. In order to improve air flow, they allow particles of higher micron (larger size) as compared to stock filters. This is not good for the engine in the long run, especially when the car is new.
  2. These are oil based filters i.e. the fabric is not really dry. it is washed in oil. With time, particles of this oil gets deposited on the air (oxygen) sensor that is connected to the air intake pipe, behind the filter. This may causes it fail or send wrong readings to the ECU.
I finally decided to go with the option of cleaning the stock filter every 5k KM and replace it with every oil change (10k KM)
I had the same kind of reservation against the oil based filters. What I understand is that the normal paper filters work based on the porus size of the filter paper. But the oil based filters works differently and more air doesnt mean the smaller particles are allowed to pass the filter, the closely placed cotton fibre creates a different turbulence than the linear kinda in normal filters which results in smaller particles getting contact with the fibers. Once they are in contact with the fibre, the oil keeps them to the cotton. The bigger particles will get caught by the size of the opening in the cotton.

The main reason for getting the MAF sensor clogged with oil is because of the over application of the oil and it happens only after the first cleaning and oiling, never reported when its used for the first time.

The benefit it gives esp on a remapped car is very noticeable.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 15th October 2014 at 00:26.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 11:16   #82
anb
BHPian

I would prefer a proper remap over tuning box any day. Tuning box only alters one or two parameters by giving wrong information to ECU while remap changes a lot parameters in the correct way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Have never used a remap but, Iam given to understand remaps are marginally better than the tuning box in terms of overall performance outputs but, it's an irreversible action ( can be reversed only by the tuner) and is a much more expensive option.
I'd suggest you to take a test drive of some of the remapped, decated Cruzes in south India developing more than 500 Nm of torque. I am sure you will throw away the tuning box and will opt for remap and decat on the same day of test drive.
Old 31st December 2014, 16:02   #83
BHPian

Hi EcoBeast,
Thanks for the excellent write -up on remapping. This is something new learning for me today

Few questions that came to my mind were
1. Would it affect the Transmission in any manner? since with the increased torque the transmission would suffer the greater loads. I understand the designed load values would be higher but what if we remap for a high performance output
2. Any excessive vibrations induced into drive train ( may be this is more prominent in the rear wheel drive cars)
3. Does remapping also plays with the functioning of valve timings to generate the higher figures

Thanks once again.
Old 12th January 2015, 01:48   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Hi EcoBeast,

Few questions that came to my mind were
1. Would it affect the Transmission in any manner? since with the increased torque the transmission would suffer the greater loads. I understand the designed load values would be higher but what if we remap for a high performance output
2. Any excessive vibrations induced into drive train ( may be this is more prominent in the rear wheel drive cars)
3. Does remapping also plays with the functioning of valve timings to generate the higher figures

Thanks once again.
Hi Autolock,
Sorry for the late response. I didn't get a notification about your post, as it wasn't a quote/reply to mine. I stumbled upon it while browsing around the forums
Anyway, to answer your questions..
There is a range that tuners call 'safe zone' if the remapping is within that range there is minimum/negligible harm done to the components. if you go too aggressive with your map (AKA 'racing map'), the transition and the clutch are among the first set of component that take the hit.
As far as induced vibrations are concerned, I haven't noticed any increase in that since the reamap.
I don't know for sure if remapping plays with valve timings, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Anything that can be controlled via the ECU, can be played with. I believe it is mostly your tuner's call.
EcoBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:59   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Autolock,
Sorry for the late response. I didn't get a notification about your post, as it wasn't a quote/reply to mine. I stumbled upon it while browsing around the forums
Anyway, to answer your questions..
There is a range that tuners call 'safe zone' if the remapping is within that range there is minimum/negligible harm done to the components. if you go too aggressive with your map (AKA 'racing map'), the transition and the clutch are among the first set of component that take the hit.
As far as induced vibrations are concerned, I haven't noticed any increase in that since the reamap.
I don't know for sure if remapping plays with valve timings, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Anything that can be controlled via the ECU, can be played with. I believe it is mostly your tuner's call.
Thanks for the information.
Any idea on if Tata's new Revetron 1.2 L engine with different drive modes a result of three different maps - one for each mode or there is something else that is playing there?
Old 13th January 2015, 20:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Thanks for the information.
Any idea on if Tata's new Revetron 1.2 L engine with different drive modes a result of three different maps - one for each mode or there is something else that is playing there?
I haven't researched the Revetron 1.2 in detail but I am pretty sure that the three driving modes have been achieved via 3 different maps.

Same can be achieved in existing cars as well. By storing multiple maps into the ECU. Desired map can be activated by pressing a specific button, a specific number of times. For example, if the tuner programs the "Climate Control" button for this function, then pressing it once will activate the first map, pressing it twice will switch to second map, and so on. The button will continue to do it's original function (Climate control) as well.
"TDI Racing" is the tuner who does this, but they can only do it for VAG cars.
EcoBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 11:10   #87
BHPian

Very informative thread. I feel I have learnt something new today on how ECUs work.
Old 26th September 2015, 21:35   #88
BHPian

Anyone here has information about the difference between TDCI dv5 Fiesta/Ecosports 90 bhp and Aspire 100 bhp tune ?.

Is it only different state of tune engine is running on or are there some mechanical changes to it ? ( For eg, different turbo, Fuel injectors .. Etc).

Any input will be appreciated as I am planning to get my Fiesta remapped shortly and this could help me decide how much I can extract out of the engine. I might be tempted to get an Aspire turbo fitted to Fiesta if the price is right ( assuming being a FGT, it will be cheaper ).

Last edited by linuxmanju : 26th September 2015 at 21:39.
Old 28th September 2015, 00:31   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Anyone here has information about the difference between TDCI dv5 Fiesta/Ecosports 90 bhp and Aspire 100 bhp tune ?.

Is it only different state of tune engine is running on or are there some mechanical changes to it ? ( For eg, different turbo, Fuel injectors .. Etc).

Any input will be appreciated as I am planning to get my Fiesta remapped shortly and this could help me decide how much I can extract out of the engine. I might be tempted to get an Aspire turbo fitted to Fiesta if the price is right ( assuming being a FGT, it will be cheaper ).

From various places, I've read that the turbo and the injectors (and possibly other components too) are different. I don't think you should rely on the Aspire's power output as a reference.
The 90BHP TDCi is sold globally and you already have several yardsticks to figure out the safe limits for that engine.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 09:27   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
From various places, I've read that the turbo and the injectors (and possibly other components too) are different. I don't think you should rely on the Aspire's power output as a reference.
The 90BHP TDCi is sold globally and you already have several yardsticks to figure out the safe limits for that engine.
Thanks mate, even my sources at Ford told me that the part number of Aspire turbo and injectors do not match with Fiesta. But, that can't be taken as a ground truth as I have seen manufacturers maintaining two part numbers for the same component and charging higher for a higher segment car.

AFAIK, 90 HP is not a global engine yet. However, 1.5 TDCI which is being sold globally runs a 75BHP tune as opposed to 90bhp tune specific to India and some Asian countries. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed