Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 08:59   #91
BHPian

Re: EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?

Gentlemen, here's a question for all the fine folks who contributed to this thread and everyone else in the know - Has anyone done an ECU remap of the EcoSport Ecoboost variant or know of someone who has got it done?

I would like to hear user reviews, opinions and recommendations if any. Thinking of getting my 1,0 Ecoboost remapped.

Many thanks!
Old 17th June 2018, 15:03   #92
BHPian

Re: Race Dynamics Tuning box for Ecosport

Hi,

I'm bumping up this thread as it doesn't seem to have any updates, and the products available have changed. I want more performance from my Ecosport, especially the low end. The TDCi is a bit sluggish off the mark, and even the supposedly inferior 3 pot TUV300 has a much better throttle response. It is great on the highway, but in City traffic, you need to do quite a bit of footwork to keep it smooth. If left idling for long red lights, there's a tendency to stall when letting out the clutch, which can be frustrating. Since my Titanium model comes with the Start/Stop button, there's a small lag involved when restarting the engine, leading to much honking from behind..

I looked through the thread, and while a remap seems to offer more benefits, the tuners I contacted have warned that a remap will indeed void the warranty, and have advised me to stick with a piggyback ECU for the time being. As I am wary of getting adventurous with Ford's warranty policies and service, I've almost decided to play it safe and go for a 'Tuning Box' from either Pete's or Dieseltronics.

I'm from Trivandrum, and while most of the tuning scene is at Kochi, Dieseltronics and Pete's both have dealers here. I called up AT Car Modz for Dieseltronics and Concept on Wheels for Pete's, and asked for details.

Dieseltronic: AT Car Modz // The Performance Hub, TC-91/165 (1), Karikakam PO, Trivandrum // +919995110132

Concept on Wheels ( PDS & PPS )
Contact Person: Mr Anas Najeeb, Mr Sreekumar
Address:Near Aluthuman School
Vettu Road
Kazhakkoottam
Trivandrum – 695582 TRIVANDRUM Mob:
Anas Najeeb: +91 9048990009
Sreekumar: +91 9048990716

AT Car Modz is not open on Sundays. Mr. Abraham Tharakan, who I presume is the person who answered (TrueCaller), was very helpful, and recommended that I go for the Dual Channel box for the Ecosport. He quoted a price of 26K, and offered to give references.

Concept on Wheels is open on Sundays, and Mr. Sreekumar, who I called, invited me to come over to the shop rightaway. He said that they do both remaps as well as tuning boxes. Tuning boxes would be from 10K onwards, while a remap would be about 16K, and they would need to keep the vehicle for at least a day.

Before I go to either shop, I would highly appreciate helpful inputs on the matter from folks here. If anyone here has dealt with them in the past, or would like to recommend another place, please comment. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The Blue graph is economy mode.
Pink is stock
Green is P1
Red is P2.

As you can see the max torque in P2 mode is 266 nm and the stock is about 225 NM which translates into a good 18 Percent increase over stock. The stock Horse power is 96HP and it gets bumped up 110 HP to P2 Mode translating into 14.6% increase.Overall my friend is very happy with the new experience with the RD box
Attachment 1206213
AFAIK, the Ecosport has only 99 BHP and 205 Nm of torque, and that's after the re-tuning in 2016. Before, it was 91 Bhp and 200 Nm. I don't think the dyno mapping is accurate. It should be showing less torque at the wheels than the stock 200Nm, not more.
Old 17th June 2018, 15:22   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I looked through the thread, and while a remap seems to offer more benefits, the tuners I contacted have warned that a remap will indeed void the warranty, and have advised me to stick with a piggyback ECU for the time being.
Did you contact Code 6 Kochi? I have heard that they have good contacts at local Ford dealerships and warranty won't be an issue. Remap is anyday better than tuning box, Code 6 has remapped many Ford 1.5 diesel cars.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before I go to either shop, I would highly appreciate helpful inputs on the matter from folks here. If anyone here has dealt with them in the past, or would like to recommend another place, please comment. Thanks.
I got the dual channel RD box for Crysta from AT Car modz in 2016. The box performed well on the Crysta. Abraham is also an enthusiast himself.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 14:44   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I'm bumping up this thread as it doesn't seem to have any updates, and the products available have changed. I want more performance from my Ecosport, especially the low end.
Hi Vivek,

Any updates on which way you finally went with modding your TDCI? Did you finally opt for a remap, or did you choose to play safe and stick with a powerbox? Information and updates would be very helpful, since I have a friend who is pretty much stuck with the same dilemma. Loves the Ecosport but would like some more grunt at the low end.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Vivek,

Any updates on which way you finally went with modding your TDCI? Did you finally opt for a remap, or did you choose to play safe and stick with a powerbox? Information and updates would be very helpful, since I have a friend who is pretty much stuck with the same dilemma. Loves the Ecosport but would like some more grunt at the low end.
I still haven't modded my car, but I decided on a tuning box over a remap, as I can't risk the warranty. But then I had to put off the tuning box for a few months, due to some unexpected flood related expenses.

Last edited by vivekgk : 4th December 2018 at 20:21.
Old 4th December 2018, 22:02   #97
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2018 at 17:46.
scorpian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2018, 23:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
To remap or not to remap?
Absolute gem of a post Ecobeast! The detail levels are outstanding. I also have a TDCI Ecosport, 11 months and 10k kms old. The low end is a bit of disappointment and frequent gear shifting during city drive takes away the fun.
But still not decided on the remap. Need to find out of the available options in Hyderabad.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2018 at 01:17. Reason: Please do not quote large posts entirely. Quote only relevant sections. Thanks!
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Absolute gem of a post Ecobeast! The detail levels are outstanding. I also have a TDCI Ecosport, 11 months and 10k kms old. The low end is a bit of disappointment and frequent gear shifting during city drive takes away the fun.
But still not decided on the remap. Need to find out of the available options in Hyderabad.
Isn't the TDCI known for great driyeability and low and mid range torque, thereby reducing the need for frequent gear shifts in the city? I was always under the impression that its a great engine for city driving.

Slightly off topic for this thread- but could you please elaborate on your experience with the low and mid range for the Ecosport?
Old 5th December 2018, 09:12   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Vivek,

I'm running a remap on my 2013 Ecosport for almost a year now. I dunno how I managed to drive the car in its stock form for 4 years.

Low end, mid range both are significantly improved. I didn't want outright performance / BHP on paper just better driveability in low and mid since not a lot of highway driving.

It's literally a no brainer when it comes to Ecosport. haven't had any mechanical issues as well except for 1 instance where it needed an oil topup. It fixed itself after that and back to normal.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm running a remap on my 2013 Ecosport for almost a year now. I dunno how I managed to drive the car in its stock form for 4 years.
Where did you get your remap done, and how much did it cost you? Any issues that you have faced with the service folks at Ford as regards voiding warranty etc?

Is the drivability in stock form really bad? I always thought the Ecosport had great drivability, even in bone stock form.
Old 5th December 2018, 09:51   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where did you get your remap done, and how much did it cost you? Any issues that you have faced with the service folks at Ford as regards voiding warranty etc?

Is the drivability in stock form really bad? I always thought the Ecosport had great drivability, even in bone stock form.
Remap was done by Code6 in Bangalore. Since I knew Sajan the owner (old BHPian) it was a no brainer. I didn't even try to look at others. Plus he was very well known for Ford remaps.

Service folks can't detect remaps since it doesn't show up on their scanner. worse case is they will update the IDS (firmware) and you will be left with stock map again. Go back to tuner and he will download it again. No need to remove ECU. everything is via OBD2 port of Ecosport.

Stock form driveability was not bad at all. IT's quite good but teh remap is just overall better and improved. Less need to shift to first gear, almost impossible to stall.

Mileage remains almost similar. I anyways don't check carefully. These days traffic is so bad around my area of town with roads dug up, there's no way to know any change.

I also got the EGR blocked and that also helps immensely. (Note the car is always well within emission norms and I've done 3 PUC tests after the remap and there was no issues).

Remap was for 12K. Code6 had a year end offer in 2017 which I availed off. You will need to check current prices. This was limited period.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:08   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Remap was done by Code6 in Bangalore. Since I knew Sajan the owner (old BHPian) it was a no brainer. I didn't even try to look at others. Plus he was very well known for Ford remaps.
Thanks Viddy. Like you, my primary concern is low and mid range driveability and torque. Good to know that the TDCI is a good performer even in stock form, and that remapping does not create any servicing related issues.

Will reach out to you through PM for further details on Code 6.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that the TDCI is a good performer even in stock form, and that remapping does not create any servicing related issues.
It would not create any issues unless you do not follow the regular servicing and such. Like Viddy mentioned, chances the A.S.S figuring out the car has a remap is very less.

I had the same dilemma with my Aspire regarding tuning box or remap. I had visited RD to try their box for a test and the reception I got there ticked me off and I didn't try it either. I did drive a Aspire of a fellow Bhpian with a RD box, but I wanted the full monty and went for the remap. Would recommend that any day over a box. Now after a second remap, the engine character is stock like, but x 2.
Old 16th December 2018, 15:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the TDCI known for great driyeability and low and mid range torque, thereby reducing the need for frequent gear shifts in the city? I was always under the impression that its a great engine for city driving.

Slightly off topic for this thread- but could you please elaborate on your experience with the low and mid range for the Ecosport?
There is no doubt about the TDCI engine's drivability. But in the stop go traffic, when you are slowing down and would want to pick pace. At RPM less than 1000, the pick up is slow and you would have to move to 1st gear to avoid stalling also. I would want that gear shift to reduce, be in second gear and move around in traffic comfortably.

Also the engine gets a bit noisy above 120kmph. The punch is there but noise gets intrusive. I would like a relaxed cruising at high speed.
These are the two points that I have observed. The mid range is absolutely awesome otherwise. No complaints. Now at around 11K kms. No complaints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks