Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 12:30   #151
BHPian

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

I am using 2 pairs Morimoto HIDs (4500k With 55w Ballasts) in my Innova Crysta as High beam and Fog Lamp.
My Personal Observations are:
The dealer installed led and HID (Both Morimoto) side by side for reference, and there was a huge difference in the output. (4500K HID at least 5x Brighter than the 5500K LED)
HID for High beam is a bad idea if you have a separate HI/LO bulb Setup and use Dipper a lot. It takes time to warm/Charge up and is quite ineffective when used as a dipper/Turn Lights.
The Only LED available in Morimoto was 5500K, and I personally hate Bright White light (my car already has OEM LED low beam projectors which I dislike) so HID was the only option for me.
The screen of FR Fog Lamp Housing has started to melt off because of the heat from the HID. So if you’re going for a Low Color Temperature HID upgrade, make sure there space for heat to dissipate, Else go for LED. I now have to get both my Fog lamp Housing replaced with projectors.

Hope it Helps you guys decide between HID and LED. I will also start a Lightning Thread once I get the projectors retrofitted in place of Fog lamps, with Indicator or/and DRL Rings.
Lego28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 17:51   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego28 View Post
I am using 2 pairs Morimoto HIDs (4500k With 55w Ballasts) in my Innova Crysta as High beam and Fog Lamp.
My Personal Observations are:
The dealer installed led and HID (Both Morimoto) side by side for reference, and there was a huge difference in the output. (4500K HID at least 5x Brighter than the 5500K LED)
Hope it Helps you guys decide between HID and LED. I will also start a Lightning Thread once I get the projectors retrofitted in place of Fog lamps, with Indicator or/and DRL Rings.
Hi,
Where in Delhi did you get these fitted? I am also looking at getting HIDs fitted in my Jeep Compass but am unable to find a good place to get them done. Can you share the details of your installer if you are happy with them?
Old 15th January 2018, 18:10   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi,
Where in Delhi did you get these fitted? I am also looking at getting HIDs fitted in my Jeep Compass but am unable to find a good place to get them done. Can you share the details of your installer if you are happy with them?
RetroRides. Near Sultanpuri metro station.
they are the distributor of Morimoto in India.
i will strong recommend to go with Morimoto. The owner, Deekshit is very helpful and humble.
there is a post here as well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...des-delhi.html
Old 15th January 2018, 19:23   #154
Senior - BHPian

can someone give the link of a cheap T10 LED parking light? I know the osram/philips ones are for sale at 700, but looking for something with a cree LED at the 200-300 rs price range
Old 15th January 2018, 19:57   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
can someone give the link of a cheap T10 LED parking light? I know the osram/philips ones are for sale at 700, but looking for something with a cree LED at the 200-300 rs price range
Sorry if this is not what you are looking for. Ref. the attached pic, I had got a pair of those LED parking bulbs from an accessory shop. LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-img_20180115_194841.jpg
Noticed the "burn" in a few days of use, and went in for the Osrams (ordered from amazon.com)
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 20:15   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RetroRides. Near Sultanpuri metro station.
they are the distributor of Morimoto in India.
i will strong recommend to go with Morimoto. The owner, Deekshit is very helpful and humble.
there is a post here as well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...des-delhi.html
Thanks lego28
Will get in touch with Deekshit and find out the options. The Compass headlights are quite weak (for the Longitude and Limited variants esp) and almost all owners are looking to upgrade and not getting any good options.
Old 15th January 2018, 20:30   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I personally bought these T10 LEDs from AliExpress
They are quite bright and have a silicone rubber over them; hence waterproof.
And the plus point is that you get 6 × LEDs at just ₹ 130 or so.

T10 LEDs link
Old 16th January 2018, 13:40   #158
BHPian

Anyone using the Philips H7 led bulbs? Any feedback/review/photos would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16th January 2018, 13:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
I personally bought these T10 LEDs from AliExpress
They are quite bright and have a silicone rubber over them; hence waterproof.
And the plus point is that you get 6 × LEDs at just ₹ 130 or so.

T10 LEDs link
I bought something similar, but they are rather dull, and all 4 were different shades of white. plus I'm looking with something with a forward focussed LED
Old 16th January 2018, 14:12   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I bought something similar, but they are rather dull, and all 4 were different shades of white. plus I'm looking with something with a forward focussed LED
What application are you looking at? Parking lamp/Tail lamp / Interior light?
Old 16th January 2018, 14:18   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Attachment 1717140
Noticed the "burn" in a few days of use, and went in for the Osrams (ordered from amazon.com)
Most of the noname LEDs like the one in the photo above does not have a proper heatsink and when used for longer durations like in a park light they fail. These very same LEDs are OK as interior lamps because they don't need to stay lit for a long time.

Philips/Osram models are better and they last a long time, the Philips i bought 5 years ago still work as parklights.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th January 2018 at 14:20.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 14:41   #162
Senior - BHPian

Yet to be launched 2018 Honda CRV is supposed to get full LED head lamps as OEM. Hope it's not the 'in-your-eyes' white light.
Old 16th January 2018, 14:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be Ujala White like the City and Vento LED headlights.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:

A few questions -

1) Does the High beam come as a projector or lens? Did the car originally come with HIDs? In either case (lens/projector), do you get a nice cut-off line/pattern?

2) Did you change the projectors or just the bulbs plus system?

The reason I ask these, is because i have recently put Morimotos (Mini H1 Bi Xenon, 6000K Bulbs and 55 Watt Ballast) into my Land Cruiser 100. The car originally came with projectors for the low beam and a lens for the high. Since I was low on time and patience, I did did a retro-fit of the low beam. The beam pattern and light output has improved 10 fold. The use of the Morimoto projectors makes a world of a difference! I actually canned my idea of fitting a pair of Hella 3000's, I have lying around after I saw the light output of these Mini H1's.

Other than the fear of damaging something during the opening (Baking method) of headlight assembly it was quite easy.

This brings me to my 3rd point -

3) For your fog-lamps are you going to put in Morimoto projectors or generic ones? The Morimoto Matchbox is something you should consider.

My next project and more relevant to this threat, is to now retro-fit the Morimoto M-Led projectors for my high beam. I quite firmly believe (as you have experienced) that LED in a standard project/lens housing is not the best options. HID I feel, is still ahead in terms of light output and beam pattern.

Additionally and only HID relevant - According to Morimoto their Kelvin rating is for 35 Watt Ballast. They also specify that you will loose approximately 1000 Kelvin on the 55 Watt Ballast - Which means that a 4500 K color temperature is 3500 K on a 55 Watt Ballast. Happy to provide the link if required.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 16th January 2018 at 15:47.
Old 16th January 2018, 17:09   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks lego28
Will get in touch with Deekshit and find out the options. The Compass headlights are quite weak (for the Longitude and Limited variants esp) and almost all owners are looking to upgrade and not getting any good options.
Sure, i would suggest you to go only with Morimoto. And if your preference is not in stock , wait for it. Because, This is a stupidity i did. i wanted LED for foglamps, but since H11 LEDs weren't in stock, i went with HIDs and ended up melting my RH Foglamp Lens.
Even i will be heading there this weekend for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
A few questions -

1) Does the High beam come as a projector or lens? Did the car originally come with HIDs? In either case (lens/projector), do you get a nice cut-off line/pattern?

2) Did you change the projectors or just the bulbs plus system?

The reason I ask these, is because i have recently put Morimotos (Mini H1 Bi Xenon, 6000K Bulbs and 55 Watt Ballast) into my Land Cruiser 100. The car originally came with projectors for the low beam and a lens for the high. Since I was low on time and patience, I did did a retro-fit of the low beam. The beam pattern and light output has improved 10 fold. The use of the Morimoto projectors makes a world of a difference! I actually canned my idea of fitting a pair of Hella 3000's, I have lying around after I saw the light output of these Mini H1's.

Other than the fear of damaging something during the opening (Baking method) of headlight assembly it was quite easy.

This brings me to my 3rd point -

3) For your fog-lamps are you going to put in Morimoto projectors or generic ones? The Morimoto Matchbox is something you should consider.

My next project and more relevant to this threat, is to now retro-fit the Morimoto M-Led projectors for my high beam. I quite firmly believe (as you have experienced) that LED in a standard project/lens housing is not the best options. HID I feel, is still ahead in terms of light output and beam pattern.

Additionally and only HID relevant - According to Morimoto their Kelvin rating is for 35 Watt Ballast. They also specify that you will loose approximately 1000 Kelvin on the 55 Watt Ballast - Which means that a 4500 K color temperature is 3500 K on a 55 Watt Ballast. Happy to provide the link if required.
1. the High beam was a Halogen bulb with simple reflector. i replaced only the Bulb with plug & play Morimoto HID. there is no Cut-off line with Regular reflector.
The Car originally came with LED Low Beam Projector and Halogen High beam reflector. the LED projector has a nice cut-off line.

2. I just got the High beam & Fog Lamp Bulbs changed to HID. i did not get the headlight assembly opened up, it was a simple plug & play Procedure and ballasts were secured with cable ties. (the fog Lamp fuse got blown, so changed it with a higher Amp)

3. The Dealer suggested me to go with Waterproof projectors for Fog lamps, and according to him none of Morimoto projectors are waterproof, he told me to go with morimoto Projectors if they are to be fitted in a waterproof housing. Thanks for the input on morimoto matchbox. i have researched and will try that these are retroitted in place of my foglamps (If my car allows) Moreover i required Bi-xenon projectors, Which these are.

I will wait for a few years before i mess with Toyota warranty and retrofit a Projector for high beam. I will surely ask you for guidance then.

The 1000K drop was informed by the dealer and i know about it. but since i like warm White light, it s as per my liking. it is more of 4000K than 3500K.

Adding a picture of OEM light setup of my car to explain things better.
LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-img_2921-1.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th January 2018 at 00:29. Reason: Removing duplicate quoted post. Thanks!
Lego28 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks