Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 12:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What application are you looking at? Parking lamp/Tail lamp / Interior light?
Parking lamp. The cheap ones i bought so far are somewhat ok as number plate and interior lamps, but they are too weak to do a good job as parking lamps
Reading up, I read that with SMD types, in a hot environment, such as a headlight assembly, will have the solder melt, causing connections to come undone, so are not recommended.

the Silicone/COB ones are better, but have not found one with a good forward facing beam.

I suppose i will have to cough up for a osram one. (Probably will have to do the same for brake lights too as they are a critical application)
Old 17th January 2018, 12:38   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego28 View Post
1. the High beam was a Halogen bulb with simple reflector. i replaced only the Bulb with plug & play Morimoto HID. there is no Cut-off line with Regular reflector.
Can you post a picture of the HID high beam falling on the road or a wall? I would like to get the same for my crysta if the beam pattern is good and without scatter.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 12:55   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Adding a picture of OEM light setup of my car to explain things better.
Can you please post pictures of the light output at night?
Also, how bad is the glare from the HID kit in the high beam reflectors?

P.S - You could get OEM Koito LED fog lamps like I did for my 2.4Z. These are the same ones offered in the Touring Sport & the Fortuner, have a wide beam pattern, and match the LED low beam’s colour temperature perfectly.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 16:37   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Parking lamp. The cheap ones i bought so far are somewhat ok as number plate and interior lamps, but they are too weak to do a good job as parking lamps
Reading up, I read that with SMD types, in a hot environment, such as a headlight assembly, will have the solder melt, causing connections to come undone, so are not recommended.

the Silicone/COB ones are better, but have not found one with a good forward facing beam.

I suppose i will have to cough up for a osram one. (Probably will have to do the same for brake lights too as they are a critical application)
For parking lamp i would suggest Osram/Philips T10 LED since the area is subjected to high temperature of the headlamp bulb. Among the Chinese ones, go for the small ones with good reviews. I have used a few across cars and they have withstood the high temperature of the headlamp assembly.

For brake lights you can go for the cheaper ones since the tail lamp assembly runs cool
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:32   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Can you please post pictures of the light output at night?
Also, how bad is the glare from the HID kit in the high beam reflectors?

P.S - You could get OEM Koito LED fog lamps like I did for my 2.4Z. These are the same ones offered in the Touring Sport & the Fortuner, have a wide beam pattern, and match the LED low beam’s colour temperature perfectly.
Yeah I read your thread and I agree it looks wicked. But I don’t like bright White light. Moreover, I wish to go with bi xenon projectors. I am attaching pics of hi+low and low beam against the wall. There is not much scatter or glare. Lower K HIDs gives better visibility than bright White ones.

On a different note, I have got the headlight levelling done from TASS, and raised it a little. The reason is that I keep high beam strictly for highway travels. And low beam used to go down way lower than optimal, with 5-7 people on board.

LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-84ee1a5303c74640aea0a2b6592b31f6.jpeg

LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-f2a7f37600a645a89608091eee2b54f1.jpeg
Lego28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 22:15   #171
BHPian

Quote:
There is not much scatter or glare. Lower K HIDs gives better visibility than bright White ones.
I’m leaning towards LED, because the gas discharge bulbs take a while to get to their full intensity, but I’m scared that the light won’t be focused or even as powerful as the OEM halogens.
What do you suggest?

Quote:
On a different note, I have got the headlight levelling done from TASS, and raised it a little.
I’ve gotten the same done a while ago, as the factory setting was a bit too low for safe night driving.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 05:00   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I’m leaning towards LED, because the gas discharge bulbs take a while to get to their full intensity, but I’m scared that the light won’t be focused or even as powerful as the OEM halogens.
What do you suggest?
I would definitely suggest you to for LED. I went with HID only for warm white light.
Dipper becomes utterly useless in case of HIDs, But HID output = 5x LED ouput so try them both in each reflector and compare once before buying. There is a tremendous increase in output over OEM high beam. OEM halogens are utter crap in my opinion.
Moreover, LED output color will match your OEM led lamps.
You can always try it before getting it installed. It's a simple plug and play procedure which takes mere 15 mins. And i ll strongly suggest to go with morimotos, and wait if they are not in stock.
There is not much glare in my HIDs, but cannot say the same for higher color temperature ones without trying. And you dont need to worry about the scatter.
Lego28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:33   #173
BHPian

Any idea how much this costs?
https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12985B...headlight-bulb

The one on Amazon is an older version.

And is 1700 lumens good enough?
Old 24th January 2018, 07:12   #174
BHPian

Bulb Upgrade for Polo and Ameo

We have VW GT TSI (year old) and Ameo (3 months old) and they both have weak headlights. I want to upgrade the light bulb but without messing with wire setup as this could void the warranty. Are there replacement LED bulbs available? Would they be effective enough? Reliable?
What would be the best upgrade in terms of wattage power that the current wiring could take load of. I know sometimes higher wattage means new/thicker wiring.
Please advise. Thanks.
Old 27th January 2018, 20:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Bulb Upgrade for Polo and Ameo
Be careful if you are upgrading VW Lamps, VW is notorious for giving Error codes and ECU light going on even if only bulb wattage is changed.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 22:26. Reason: Trimmed quoted Post
Old 27th January 2018, 21:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For parking lamp i would suggest Osram/Philips T10 LED since the area is subjected to high temperature of the headlamp bulb. Among the Chinese ones, go for the small ones with good reviews. I have used a few across cars and they have withstood the high temperature of the headlamp assembly.

For brake lights you can go for the cheaper ones since the tail lamp assembly runs cool
I took a risk, and ordered a slightly more expensive warm white T10 LED's from ebay than the earlier cheapo ones i had bought
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X12V-T10-W...72.m2749.l2649

and first off, they look nice and stock, and in fact yellower than my new Xtreme vision plus H4's.

Will post some pics shortly. Anyone else running warm white parking LED's ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th January 2018 at 21:44.
Old 27th January 2018, 21:40   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will post some pics shortly. I think i should be the first one running warm white parking LED's !
I'm sorry

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3452508

I like warm white parking lamps. Name brand ones are not available anymore, atleast I can't find them anymore. Since I couldn't get Philips/Osram 4000k warm white shipped here I put Osram Amber park lights in my Crysta and it was a good match to the halogens, now with LED low beams I changed to cool white.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th January 2018 at 21:43.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 22:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm sorry

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3452508

I like warm white parking lamps. Name brand ones are not available anymore, atleast I can't find them anymore. Since I couldn't get Philips/Osram 4000k warm white shipped here I put Osram Amber park lights in my Crysta and it was a good match to the halogens, now with LED low beams I changed to cool white.
At least good to know that I'm not alone. I have a set of amber T10's
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-T10-20SM...JYt4bK&vxp=mtr
and they are very orange - I use them in my side markers. The ones in the parking light are more yellowish ( the extremevision are supposed to be 3700k, and these are yellower)

My Current LED fication status
Front Park lights
All indicators (front, back, side marker)
Interior roof lamp & Boot lamp
Number plate lamp
CHMSL (Came with LED's as stock, so really can't claim credit)

Wish list
Brake lamps (will buy the osram/philips stuff once i have $$ to spare)
Reverse lamps ( looking for a good cree option)
Rear fog lamps ( not critical)

Possibly try those new dual colour H11 for my fogs (anyone else tried them?)
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 22:20   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least good to know that I'm not alone. I have a set of amber T10's
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-T10-20SM...JYt4bK&vxp=mtr
and they are very orange - I use them in my side markers. The ones in the parking light are more yellowish ( the extremevision are supposed to be 3700k, and these are yellower)

My Current LED fication status
Front Park lights
All indicators (front, back, side marker)
Interior roof lamp & Boot lamp
Number plate lamp
CHMSL (Came with LED's as stock, so really can't claim credit)

Wish list
Brake lamps (will buy the osram/philips stuff once i have $$ to spare)
Reverse lamps ( looking for a good cree option)
Rear fog lamps ( not critical)

Possibly try those new dual colour H11 for my fogs (anyone else tried them?)
Osram H11 LED halogen replacements are a joke it is dual colour one. Philips H11 LED are designed very well with regard to chip placement to get the best possible beam quality when put in a halogen reflector lamp. There are some chinese brands which imitate the philips in design and that should be good as well.

This is a philips reverse lamp which i put in the i10 today.
LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-20180127_221555.jpg
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 22:35   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

This is a philips reverse lamp which i put in the i10 today.
Attachment 1721281
May I ask what is the bulb type ? I'm hunting for R10W type but haven't managed to get branded ones in India yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks