Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Advice on modifying a 1st-gen Skoda Octavia 2.0

I couldn't find any relevant threads regarding modifications for a Skoda Octavia 2.0 sohc 8v.So I'm posting my query here.Mods please merge with a relevant thread if it is there.

A friend of mine owns the same car as mentioned above.The only modifications we are looking at are performance modifications.What can be done for this particular variant.Besides the air filters/cold air intakes and tuned exhausts.Any kind of ECU remaps?

Would it be a better option to sell this car off and get another used car that's mod friendly?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th January 2014, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Advice on modifying a 1st-gen Skoda Octavia 2.0

Was confused when you mentioned 2.0 liter and old Octavia in the same breath, then I remembered the old petrol mpi motor

You can have the Tune-O-Tronics guys come up with a map for your car but that will not make any enjoyable difference. Best stick with stage 1 modifications but if your friend wants anything more then yes, sell the thing and buy another car. Budget and preferences would be helpful but of the top of my head, I would say how about a used Mitsubishi Cedia? Or even the old Octy vRS
Old 19th January 2014, 19:32   #3
BHPian

I'd say switch to a piggyback or standalone system instead of a remap. You have an option of switching b/w maps according to your need. Here's a link from Quartermile.in about tuning box comparo: http://www.quartermile.in/2012/05/07...ox-comparison/
And +1 on what IshaanIan said, Skoda VRS and the Mitsu cedia are indeed very tasty alternatives.
Cheers!
Old 19th January 2014, 21:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Was confused when you mentioned 2.0 liter and old Octavia in the same breath, then I remembered the old petrol mpi motor..
Yep the very same.Slightly boring motor though isn't it.The idea is to make it reasonably quick(if at all that is possible).Something along the lines of between 150-200 bhp.I suppose that isn't possible with this car.

The budget for a new(used)car would be 3.5 lakh's,maximum till 4.0 lakhs.A vrs is outta the question,unless a decent(hard to find a good one though isnt it,they generally come from quite "enthusiastic" drivers) one can be found.

I should mention that we can spend a maximum about 1 lakh on performance modding the existing car.

Quote:
the Mitsu cedia
I actually suggested this car too,But not sure if it will fall the the 3.5 lakh bracket.

Its not about to whether to go for a piggy back or a ecu remap,but if either of those which will make any significant difference exists.
Old 19th January 2014, 22:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

You should easily be able to get good examples of both the cars within the 4 Lakh budget. I have friends who have bought these cars in great condition last year, under the same budget, considering it is now 2014, the addition of another year to these prospective cars' age, ought to make things easier. True they are mostly driven by enthusiastic drivers but there are enthusiastic drivers that don't take care of their cars and ones that do. As long as you have the car checked out by an expert, you should be good

With a 1lakh budget you would be able to expect a higher increase from the vRS considering it is turbocharged but patience, straying away from quick mods and consulting experts, could yield brilliant results from the rally bred Mitsubishi too.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 15:37   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on modifying a 1st-gen Skoda Octavia 2.0

General rule of modifying is to start with a car that is fundamentally sorted (for performance). Modding the Octavia 2.0 is a terrible idea. That lazy engine isn't built to sprint and the $$$ you spend on it will have poor results. You'll be throwing good money after bad.

My suggestion: Sell it, spend another lakh or two and buy an Octavia vRS or Octavia 1.9 TDi. Look hard and you'll get a decent example (though pristine pieces are nearly history). While the vRS is awesome to drive, the 1.9 TDi with a powerbox / remap also offers a superior driving experience & better performance than the 2.0.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sohc and turbo should be better with 16 valves. Get a city 1.5exi and slap a turbo. But u ne3d better brakes and suspension.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks