Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 10:14   #16

Re: My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!

Wow! Never thought of this. Awesome read thoroughly.
Please post pics of detailed installation.
Also, would love to see you go all the way with marathon now.
gold_heart007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 12:50   #17
BHPian

anandpadhye , did you evaluate the air assisted clutch against the electronic servo motor controlled Autoclutch ? I know the Autoclutch kit is expensive at around Rs: 40,000
eapen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 13:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes pics will follow. The button does not hinder, but I need to remember that I should press the button and wait till the clutch goes down fully before shifting the lever.
This would call for a very sedate driving style if I'm not wrong. Also, do you not tend to look down at the clutch to ensure that its fully pressed before changing gears?

Though I have no plans of getting this but still am assuming that this would affect the driving style a little, you know a little extra mental effort may be?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 14:56   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the additional info! It's very helpful.

Quote:
I still practice hand-brake and clutch button modulation on deserted inclines in the night
How do you manage to do that?

In a regular car, we use the left hand for the handbrake and the left foot for the clutch.

I'm assuming you use your left hand for both, the clutch button & the handbrake?
Old 21st January 2014, 22:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately one day, I bumped into http://www.handicappedpeople.com/products.aspx#a3 and got in touch with Mr. Ferdinand Rodricks who agreed to install the hand operated clutch on the Tuc
Nice thought Anand ! That's some holistic thinking

One question that comes up in my mind is, we have power assist for many auto components - steering, braking etc. But why is that diesels will always need to suffer with heavy clutch? Is there no development / research to use power assist in this regard?
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
This would call for a very sedate driving style if I'm not wrong. Also, do you not tend to look down at the clutch to ensure that its fully pressed before changing gears?

Though I have no plans of getting this but still am assuming that this would affect the driving style a little, you know a little extra mental effort may be?
Not really. Let me try to explain:
Regular driving:
1. Press the clutch with foot
2. Touch the gear lever
3. Shift

Hand operated mode:
1. Touch the gear lever
2. Press the button
3. Shift

So time consumed is the same (remember, the press of the pedal is fast). But the sequence is different so the brain has to adapt (I can not shift right after touching the lever).

At present what's consuming slightly more time is the return of the pedal (the clutch re-engagement is slow), which I will get tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the additional info! It's very helpful.

How do you manage to do that?

In a regular car, we use the left hand for the handbrake and the left foot for the clutch.

I'm assuming you use your left hand for both, the clutch button & the handbrake?
That's a challenge.

All I can do (and trying to master) is "to time" the handbrake release with the return of the clutch pedal. May be that's one reason why Ferdi may have opted for a slower clutch release. Thinking if there is a better a way.
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapen View Post
anandpadhye , did you evaluate the air assisted clutch against the electronic servo motor controlled Autoclutch ? I know the Autoclutch kit is expensive at around Rs: 40,000
Thanks. As I said, I could not find any other solution available in India. At least the 2 vendors I sent mails to, did not respond. Electrical solutions may be effective as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKHYD View Post
Nice thought Anand ! That's some holistic thinking

One question that comes up in my mind is, we have power assist for many auto components - steering, braking etc. But why is that diesels will always need to suffer with heavy clutch? Is there no development / research to use power assist in this regard?
Thanks.
Yes, even I see no reason why they can not design a light clutch for diesels. I read in a review that Volvo trucks have very light clutch pedal. Even Swift diesel has a light clutch (that's one diesel hatchback I have driven a lot and like a lot). So I can only say that Tucson's clutch is poorly designed. They should have chosen the master/slave cylinder dimensions more wisely...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 22nd January 2014 at 02:13.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Yes, even I see no reason why they can not design a light clutch for diesels. I read in a review that Volvo trucks have very light clutch pedal. Even Swift diesel has a light clutch (that's one diesel hatchback I have driven a lot and like a lot). So I can only say that Tucson's clutch is poorly designed. They should have chosen the master/slave cylinder dimensions more wisely...
AFAIK, some heavy vehicles have a clutch booster too in order to make the clutch light. The swift has a light clutch probably because its a smaller engine compared to your Tucson but that isnt entirely the reason maybe.

Adding a clutch booster will give an ultra light clutch but that again requires severe modifications.

Does your setup work on pneumatic power? Or is it a motor based unit?

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd January 2014 at 09:40.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:14   #24
BHPian

Fantastic solution . Can you also post pictures of the button from where the clutch is operated?

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_heart007 View Post
Wow! Never thought of this. Awesome read thoroughly.
Please post pics of detailed installation.
Also, would love to see you go all the way with marathon now.
Thank you. Yes, I am planning to "move up the value chain" soon (full marathon) Thank you for the wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Does your setup work on pneumatic power? Or is it a motor based unit?
Clutch booster, or just longer master cylinder or something like that can solve the issue IMO. Not sure why manufacturers don't think it's important!

This setup is pneumatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Fantastic solution . Can you also post pictures of the button from where the clutch is operated?

Cheers,
Ardy
Thank you.
Yes, will try to take pictures tonight.

Cheers!
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:56   #26
BHPian

Is the release speed of the clutch different for different gears? If not, I see why the clutch release is slow as they have set it so that it does not stall while starting from standstill in first gear.

Hope you have done everything you can like
1.ensuring the clutch operation can be made smooth by overhauling hydraulics line eg. replacing fluids, checking master/slave cylinder are perfect
2. changing your seat posture.

The reason I ask is on a very tiring day in stop-go traffic you might risk burning your clutch due to slipping by pressing the accelerator before the pedal is released completely, until this operation becomes second-nature to you.

Last edited by DWind : 23rd January 2014 at 11:57.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 10:58   #27
BHPian

A Pune company makes a similar system driven by a Servo motor. Its name is Auto-mate. Did you check them out & if yes why did you reject them?

When doing an emergency braking does the system automatically declutch ( to prevent stalling) or do you have to press the button?
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 13:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. This suddenly makes a lot of vehicles suitable for the shorter folks who have a hard time pressing the clutch pedal completely even at the nearest seating position (e.g. Punto).

Please create a video demonstrating this from user point of view and share.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 18:38   #29
BHPian

This is an excellent thing, specially in a diesel car with stop and go driving conditions. Is any one doing this job in NCR. I tried searching it over net but in vain. Can some one provide details of any garage doing this hand clutch job in Delhi/NCR.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 19:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Is the release speed of the clutch different for different gears? If not, I see why the clutch release is slow as they have set it so that it does not stall while starting from standstill in first gear.

Hope you have done everything you can like
1.ensuring the clutch operation can be made smooth by overhauling hydraulics line eg. replacing fluids, checking master/slave cylinder are perfect
2. changing your seat posture.

The reason I ask is on a very tiring day in stop-go traffic you might risk burning your clutch due to slipping by pressing the accelerator before the pedal is released completely, until this operation becomes second-nature to you.
It's a pure mechanical/pneumatic system. No electronics. So the clutch release speed is same for all gears. Yes, it must have been so chosen to aid uphill start/stops. But I am going to have it changed. I think I will manage the special cases of uphill start/stops by button modulation and left foot braking.

I don't press the accelerator before the clutch engages (I get a mild pull when that happens, so there is feedback). Anyone learning to use the system may press the accelerator earlier which will burn the clutch. But it's a matter of minutes before one gets used to.

Oh yes, I tried everything - posture, clutch overhaul, replacing master/slave cylinder before accepting the fact that Tucson clutch is heavy and it's a design issue (you can read all about this on my ownership thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
A Pune company makes a similar system driven by a Servo motor. Its name is Auto-mate. Did you check them out & if yes why did you reject them?

When doing an emergency braking does the system automatically declutch ( to prevent stalling) or do you have to press the button?
Wow. This is weird. All along I was searching for hand operated clutch and this company never appeared in google search results. After reading your post, I searched for "automatic clutch India" and it showed up. I am sure I would have explored this option had I known about them. It would have been a natural choice to go with them as they are in Pune! Now I have to go to Mumbai to fix/tune anything (e.g. speeding up the clutch return is on my immediate agenda).

As I said, this system is just as intelligent (or as stupid) as a real driver. If I brake hard without pressing the button, I will stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Great thread. This suddenly makes a lot of vehicles suitable for the shorter folks who have a hard time pressing the clutch pedal completely even at the nearest seating position (e.g. Punto).

Please create a video demonstrating this from user point of view and share.
Yes, will shoot the video over weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
This is an excellent thing, specially in a diesel car with stop and go driving conditions. Is any one doing this job in NCR. I tried searching it over net but in vain. Can some one provide details of any garage doing this hand clutch job in Delhi/NCR.
Yes, it's a real bliss. Though I always loved the Tuc, even the thought of pressing that clutch used to make my left knee ache (muscles have memory) . Now that memory is being erased fast...Going by how I missed a company in Pune (I have only google to blame for this), I am sure there must be someone in NCR. I would say search diligently. Good luck.

P.S. In fact this Automate Pune seem to have a dealer in NCR. Here: http://automateindia.in/dealer.htm

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th January 2014 at 19:10.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed