Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 19:28   #31
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
P.S. In fact this Automate Pune seem to have a dealer in NCR. Here: http://automateindia.in/dealer.htm
Thanks a lot Buddy. Spoke to this guy. He quoted 45000 to 48000 for Tata Aria. He has it installed in his Ritz diesel for demo. Will visit him in next week. I feel the price is on a steeper side. Was searching this forum and bumped in this old thread with not so happy reviews about automate clutches http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-review-4.html
Are you in touch with someone who has been using it for considerable time, so as to know the long term reliability of this product.
Old 24th January 2014, 19:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Thanks a lot Buddy. Spoke to this guy. He quoted 45000 to 48000 for Tata Aria. He has it installed in his Ritz diesel for demo. Will visit him in next week. I feel the price is on a steeper side. Was searching this forum and bumped in this old thread with not so happy reviews about automate clutches http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-review-4.html
Are you in touch with someone who has been using it for considerable time, so as to know the long term reliability of this product.
Yes, that's a bit higher, but if it's a better system (with good quality servo motor, ECU control, some intelligence), it will be worth it. Oh yes, now I remember that old thread, somehow, none of that appeared in front of me while I was looking out. Why not ask them directly for any of the existing customer's contact number? If they are genuine people, they will happily share. But please do go and check out their demo car and share a review.

BTW, Ferdi sir has done an excellent job with this pneumatic system on my car, so if nothing works out, you can come to Mumbai and get this done and drive back with the right foot. You will get a tried and tested system and may end up saving some money!
Old 24th January 2014, 19:41   #33
BHPian

I will visit this guy soon, take the specifications and update you. Its still worth the price if the clutch engages automatically on applying brakes and releases with brake release. Good way out to ask for old customers numbers. Else its a Mumbai call
Old 24th January 2014, 19:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, that's a bit higher, but if it's a better system (with good quality servo motor, ECU control, some intelligence), it will be worth it. Oh yes, now I remember that old thread, somehow, none of that appeared in front of me while I was looking out. Why not ask them directly for any of the existing customer's contact number? If they are genuine people, they will happily share. But please do go and check out their demo car and share a review.

BTW, Ferdi sir has done an excellent job with this pneumatic system on my car, so if nothing works out, you can come to Mumbai and get this done and drive back with the right foot. You will get a tried and tested system and may end up saving some money!
I had driven a car with the Automateindia clutch system a few years back. It had a touch button on the gear lever which you pressed before changing gears. One advantage with the system was that you did not have to bother about declutching during emergency stops as it would do that automatically. But one still needed to change gears manually. My shoulder pain issues required that I go in for a full AT & hence went in for the Santro AT.

The owner of the unit is a technically sound guy. I visited his unit last year and they had made some improvements to the electronics & servo motor ( motor imported from Germany now).

@ bravo 82in - retrofitting anything on your ARIA may land you into warranty issues with TML. And given their quality track record that may not be the best thing to do.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 00:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Pictures of the vacuum actuator system

Engine bay:
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01565.jpg

My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01566.jpg

Cabin:
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01567.jpg
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01571.jpg
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01573.jpg
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01572.jpg
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01576.jpg
My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!-dsc01577.jpg
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 09:46   #36
BHPian

Can you post the pic of the gear lever with that push button?

Just my opinion, but if the bellows were placed a bit farther to the center of the car, the clutch cable can be routed on the corner of the passenger foot well. A nice cover for that mechanism also will help to hide the pipes and the bellows.

Last edited by K a s h : 17th February 2014 at 09:47.
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 14:16   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, will post the pic of the button (and a video too).

Even I am thinking to move the bellows towards the center, it will help the cabling as you said and also unblock the floor AC vents (which I did not realize until I took the pictures).
Old 21st February 2014, 00:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Operating the clutch via button on the gear lever

Here is the video:

anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 01:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Functioning of the bellows and the release valve

Here is the video showing how the bellows and release valve function when the button is pressed and released:

We have to increase the valve size to increase the suction which will speed up the release of the clutch pedal. Ferdi sir is testing a bigger valve.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 20:34   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Since it looks to be based on the vacuum generated for the brakes, I have the following queries:

1. Is the vacuum pump capable enough to power both the brakes as well as the clutch bellow?

2. How much reserve vacuum do you have after the engine is switched off? It is obvious that you wouldnt need to use the clutch when the engine is off, but still curious to know.

3. Did the brakes get harder, since the clutch uses some of the vacuum that is created.

4. Isnt this unreliable compared to an electronic setup? Firstly, the one sold by automate had a simple setup, a controller, motor and a linkage to the clutch. Here, it is much more complex and entirely mechanical. Secondly, in case there is a leak in this setup, you wouldn't get to use the brakes too. Hope there has been enough fail safe measures.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is what I can say from my experience over last ~700km of usage:

1. Vacuum pump seems capable enough. Brakes have been as effective as before.

2. After engine is switched off, I can operate the clutch 3 or 4 times before the vacuum is lost (if I try immediately after switch-off). If the car is switch off for a few hours (say overnight), I see there is absolutely no vacuum left if I press the button. Once I switch on the engine, vacuum builds instantly.

3. No change in the brake feel at all. On the contrary, when I had asked Ferdi the same, he said because of this extra storage tank, there will be now more vacuum and brakes will be more effective (though I haven't noticed any significant change).

4. Reliability: Only time and mileage will tell. As I put on more and more kilometers, I will find out how reliable it is and will report. According to Ferdi, this is as reliable as vacuum boosted brakes which are already doing duty on the vehicle for last 8 years and 1,32,000 km. He preferred it over electrical system because mechanical systems are generally more reliable, easier to maintain and troubleshoot. Regarding electrical systems like Automate, even I am curious to know how good and reliable those are, someone should post a review.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th February 2014 at 11:16.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 23:43   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

1500 km update

The button operated clutch is a bliss. I have done ~1500 km since the install and my left knee is happy.

Ferdi sir is working on a bigger valve that will speed up the clutch release. In the meanwhile, I was showing this innovation to one of my cousins who is a mechanical engineer, he spotted that the bellows are slightly brushing the carpet. It does not matter during the pressing of the clutch as the suction is very very powerful, but it can cause additional resistance during the release which is already slow! Wow. I am so happy that he spotted this. Will talk to Ferdi and lift the bellows by a a few mm.
Old 7th June 2014, 20:59   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Bigger valve installed, clutch release is now fast

Ferdi sir was working with his valve vendor to get a bigger valve. He had to do a lot of trial and error to get the perfect balance (the release had to be fast but not snappy). Finally, it's ready an we installed it last week. Just one work about the new valve: AWESOME!

The clutch release is now fast and perfectly matches my natural style and speed of shifting gears. Getting off from standstill (shifting from N to 1st) is also quick and I don't stall. Rest of the upshifts/downshifts are a piece of cake. Uphill start/stops are also more easily managed. Drove out of Ferdi's place and as usual got a taste of Mumbai traffic where the new valve showed it's merit. Next day, I had to go to Ratnagiri, and this time I chose the classic NH-17 (Mumbai Goa highway) after many many years. This one is full of ghats and is still an undivided single road with heavy traffic. NH-17 is a perfect playground and button clutch made the drive stress free.

A big to Ferdi sir!
Old 28th February 2015, 00:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a year since the installation and it's a bliss, especially in traffic. Distance-wise the car has done ~8000km after the install and no problems so far.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:02   #45
BHPian

Can this be done on any MT car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks