Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup

Hi Guys,

I own a 2010 Honda City iVtec which I had been running on HID's for the past 3 years. Finally took the plunge and got installed projectors with DRL's.

This is actually an Angel Eye setup with an outer ring in White Colour and an inner background ring in a colour of your choice. As i did not want a very jazzy look I opted to keep the coloured ring disconnected and keep only the white ring on. The DRL is an LED tube fitted inside the headlight assembly and can be attached in a shape/ design of your choice with clips, I decided to again keep it as simple as I could. The DRLs have integrated turn indicators and turn orange from white when indicators are turned on.

To get the perfect look of the projector ring and the DRL strip the reflector inside the headlight assembly has been painted Matt Black.

Besides improving the aesthetics of the front, the range of the lights is pretty powerful and covers 6 lanes. One flash of the HID's is enough to move aside even the most stubborn of the Mumbai auto rickshaws. My city has suddenly become a head turner, people notice and point even during the day. I have already been almost stopped on the road twice by people asking me what, how and from where?

Few pictures of the set up (iphone pictures hence quality is not very good and also it is impossible to get a pic with the projectors kept on);

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image-5.jpeg

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image-4.jpeg

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image-3.jpeg

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image-1.jpeg

Look during the day time;

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image.jpeg

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-image-2.jpeg

Below pictures clicked by fellow bhpian TurboTorque during our meet, I am reposting these from the Mumbai Meets thread;

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-24.jpg

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-25.jpg

The City to the right is Bhpian Swapzone's which has a slightly different set up;

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-28.jpg

While i chose to keep the background ring of a different colour disconnected, swapzone has opted for a blue ring. Also the parking lights have a white LED bulb which now even I have installed on my City.

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-29.jpg

Regards,
VVB

Note to the Mods; Kindly merge into a thread if you feel not appropriate.

Last edited by vvb8530 : 30th January 2014 at 19:44.
vvb8530 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup

Having seen this personally, i can vouch for the fact that these look subtle and elegant. Nothing over the top. Looks best when the hazard lamps are switched on without the headlights. Neatly done setup.

However i still feel yellow lights offer more visibility than the whites. Just my view.

Varun, it would be great if you could also mention the costs and the place from where you got these done. Would help others for sure.
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 20:30   #3
BHPian

That setup turned out stunning to say the least. If only Honda had provided dual-barrel design in this iteration of the City!

You should've seen the enthusiasm on Swapnil's face with which he flashed his high beam on those morons who'd refuse to budge. I thought Swapnil would be waiting for dinner that day which would've given me more time to experiment and capture some decent pics. Next time, baby!

Congrats again

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 30th January 2014 at 20:37.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:37   #4
BHPian

A very nice and thoughtful idea. I would request you to share the pictures of the lights at low beam and high beam from inside the car. This will help the viewers to get a fare idea of the focus and coverage on road.

If you can share the cost, that will be an added advantage.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:56   #5
BHPian

Where was this done and the total damage to the pocket , I guess everyone is always curious to know atleast the cost of such projects . Looking forward to your update .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 20:59   #6
BHPian

Looks very neat indeed. Even the fit and finish. Ive seen a lot of flashy over the top mod job which look just bleh.
Yes, please mention the cost and the procedure of the fittings. How do those 'clips' keep the tube in place? I cant seem to find those in the pictures.
Again, looks very good!
Old 30th January 2014, 21:26   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Having seen this personally, i can vouch for the fact that these look subtle and elegant. Nothing over the top. Looks best when the hazard lamps are switched on without the headlights. Neatly done setup.

However i still feel yellow lights offer more visibility than the whites. Just my view.
+1

The yellow lights would have been substantially better than this.

And for a change I like the projector setup in the City. All of them that I have seen on this forum look awkward that don't gel with the car but this one is elegant and subtle without spoiling the design.

Anurag.
Old 30th January 2014, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

What a transformation ! Sober to Hawwwt (Hot) !

All of a sudden I want to own a previous gen CITY.

What is the brand, cost and warranty ?
Old 31st January 2014, 00:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Varun, it would be great if you could also mention the costs and the place from where you got these done. Would help others for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1

The yellow lights would have been substantially better than this.

And for a change I like the projector setup in the City. All of them that I have seen on this forum look awkward that don't gel with the car but this one is elegant and subtle without spoiling the design.

Anurag.
Thanks guys. I agree with both of you that yellow lights in city driving on well lit roads provides better visibility as in the case of Xenons the white light beam is not very visible under the yellow street lights but you take it on a dark road and its suddenly not night anymore . Now if a road is well lit anyways i did rather have better visibility on a dark road and on the highways, also the flash really helps in getting way.

Also since i have been using HID's for over 3 years now I am pretty used to the white lights as it actually takes a bit of getting used to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
That setup turned out stunning to say the least. If only Honda had provided dual-barrel design in this iteration of the City!

Congrats again
Thanks buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
A very nice and thoughtful idea. I would request you to share the pictures of the lights at low beam and high beam from inside the car. This will help the viewers to get a fare idea of the focus and coverage on road.

If you can share the cost, that will be an added advantage.
Thanks buddy!! Will surely click pics of the beam and post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Where was this done and the total damage to the pocket , I guess everyone is always curious to know atleast the cost of such projects . Looking forward to your update .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Looks very neat indeed. Even the fit and finish. Ive seen a lot of flashy over the top mod job which look just bleh.
Yes, please mention the cost and the procedure of the fittings. How do those 'clips' keep the tube in place? I cant seem to find those in the pictures.
Again, looks very good!
The total cost of the setup consisting of the 35W 4300k H4 HID Bulbs + 3.0 inch projector lens with angel eyes + LED DRL's + Matt Black Paint on the Refletors + Fitting, Labour, etc all in all costed 16500k.

The setup was carried out at Concept Car Studio in Powai, Mumbai which is on the JVLR, Opp. IIT and next to Mini Punjab. You can also search for Concept Car Studio on the forum directory i had earlier posted their details.

A great job done by these guys. I am very happy and total paisa vasool.
vvb8530 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 00:48   #10
BHPian

The complete set-up looks amazing,especially the DRL

I used to have HID set-up with 4300k bulbs but have removed it as the bulbs were going kaput every now and then

I would like to if its possible to get just the DRL's alone and price for the same
Old 31st January 2014, 01:48   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Also since i have been using HID's for over 3 years now I am pretty used to the white lights as it actually takes a bit of getting used to them.
Since you are used to the white light then we are more happy and satisfied.

Does the headlamp levelling (stock) work or any modifications needed?

Quote:
Thanks buddy!! Will surely click pics of the beam and post soon.
Please click low beam, high beam and fog light ON picture and post so that we can gauge the difference.

Thanks,
Anurag.
Old 31st January 2014, 08:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Anurag.
As Varun mentioned earlier, the visibility on unlit roads is truly differential. And these being 4300K, give out an almost white hue compared to bling boy blue!

IIRC, the stock levelling mechanism doesn't require any modifications and works normally.
Old 31st January 2014, 13:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:

The total cost of the setup consisting of the 35W 4300k H4 HID Bulbs + 3.0 inch projector lens with angel eyes + LED DRL's + Matt Black Paint on the Refletors + Fitting, Labour, etc all in all costed 16500k.

The setup was carried out at Concept Car Studio in Powai, Mumbai which is on the JVLR, Opp. IIT and next to Mini Punjab. You can also search for Concept Car Studio on the forum directory i had earlier posted their details.

A great job done by these guys. I am very happy and total paisa vasool.
Amazing job executed by Concept car studio guys. As many mentioned already I been waiting to see something like this and make it to my Polo GT. A couple of questions though .

1- Is this legal in India ? I mean the specifications? As I normally drive in Banglaore / Kerala and Pune and cops can get cranky in these places , just want to know the legal aspect as well.
I have seen cars with headlamps when flashed makes you blind, which is a bit of inconvenience. Is this light that powerful ?
If yes , do we have other options ?

2- Does this involve any cutting of wires to the original harness ? Any chances for the warranty to get void ?

Enjoy your ride.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
The complete set-up looks amazing,especially the DRL

I used to have HID set-up with 4300k bulbs but have removed it as the bulbs were going kaput every now and then

I would like to if its possible to get just the DRL's alone and price for the same
Thanks buddy!!

Yes you can get just the DRL's as well for approximately 7 to 8k.

Quote:

Please click low beam, high beam and fog light ON picture and post so that we can gauge the difference.

Thanks,
Anurag.
No modifications needed, the projector is just plug and play type. The headlight leveling works normally without any changes required to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Amazing job executed by Concept car studio guys. As many mentioned already I been waiting to see something like this and make it to my Polo GT. A couple of questions though .

1- Is this legal in India ? I mean the specifications? As I normally drive in Banglaore / Kerala and Pune and cops can get cranky in these places , just want to know the legal aspect as well.
I have seen cars with headlamps when flashed makes you blind, which is a bit of inconvenience. Is this light that powerful ?
If yes , do we have other options ?

2- Does this involve any cutting of wires to the original harness ? Any chances for the warranty to get void ?

Enjoy your ride.
Thanks buddy!!

AFAIK as per law you cannot have lights with an output above 50W and these lights are 35W so i am guessing they are street legal. However I am not very sure and maybe someone else here who is completely sure can confirm.

No these are not the kinds that will blind you and because of the projectors the HID's are not irritating to the eye of the driver in front, however the flashing of high beam still manages to grab the attention of the driver in front. As a responsible Bhpian I do not drive on high beams at all and make sure that the flashing is limited and not irritating for other motorists.

There is no cutting of wires involved and it is basically plug and play type so I dont think it would have any affects on the warranty but again for a VW you can never be sure. I have seen pictures of similar setups done on other Polos by Concept and trust me it looks smashing on the Polo.

See below one such picture of a similar setup done on a Polo with a red angel/ devil eye;

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-photo-8.jpg

Polo, Vento and Civic carry the projector and DRL look the best as per me.

Regards,
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 14:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a great accessory you have got for your ride! Definitely adds a character to car, elegant is least I can say!

If its plug n play kind of setup, is there any way I can source these parts from your favorite Concept store and take help of FNG to fit on my SX4? I live in Bangalore. Will they have something for SX4 by the way? Would be great help if you can suggest on this.

After looking at your city, I don't seem to be getting over it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks