Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 12:59   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solution

MapmyIndia launches the Smart Mirror. The device merges navigation and rear view functionality in a single piece; it is a navigator which is also a rear view mirror and doubles up as a reverse camera screen.

Users will also get a 3D augmented realty experience. A real-time visual verification will happen as the 3D image on the navigator will super-impose actual landmarks as they pass them. And so would the ground contours change on the ‘Smart screen’, highlighting the diverse landscape as they drive.

The Smart Mirror has been priced at Rs 15,990.

MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solution-image-mapmyindia-smart-mirror.jpg
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 13:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solutio

Recently I purchased map updates for my Caska in dash unit for Rs 1800 Rs. And while we were troubleshooting how to get the latest updates combined with my old waypoints and favorites, the support person mentioned about this mirror device. Based on my interaction with her, it looks like a viable option for folks who want to use a dedicated navigation device instead of smartphones. For a variety of vehicles that does not have flexibility to replace in-dash infotainment units or the ones who do not prefer something sticking on car windshield, this is perfect option. You may or may not use the reverse camera in this unit. So all in all, a great initiative .

Looking at the affordability from a price perspective, this is slightly overpriced. Being MMI customer, I remember receiving their email about this launch almost a month ago with a price tag was definitely lesser than 15K. Why are they increasing the price now? is it very well received in the market and so they hike the price? I am only speculating.

One quick question though - does this fit as snap onto existing mirror or completely replaces the existing one? Would it have the fitment "holder" to replace mirrors on variety of cars in market today? Nether I could find this info anywhere nor remembered to ask this question while in discussion with support person!

The support person also mentioned about their MMI Connect device. It feels similar to Google Chromecast but not really sure. I was too focused on my MMI issue and listening to mirror solution

Last edited by abirnale : 4th March 2014 at 13:19. Reason: Link formatting
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 13:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solutio

What's width of smart mirror? I hope it's not too wide & doesn't hinder usage of sun-visors.
Old 4th March 2014, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I feel IRVM is the wrong location for a GPS device. The device must be at around the eye level.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Satnav on the rear view mirror? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Stealing glances at the mirror every now and then? Especially when you're driving on a unfamiliar road, in India? Definitely not a good idea. And I agree that it does seem overpriced. I would think that it needs to be snapped onto the original mirror of the car.
Old 4th March 2014, 15:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, MMI products are always overpriced. I purchased a VX140S Premium PND made my MMI for 12K. The build quality is poor. Even worse than a chinese phone. Thankfully the device is working fine as of now but the touch screen is as bad as it can get. The interface can get a lot better. For 12K, I expect much better quality of the device.

And agree with what another member has to say that the navigation device should be at eye level. Placing it anywhere else & looking at it while driving is very uncomfortable.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th March 2014 at 15:50.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:51   #7
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I feel IRVM is the wrong location for a GPS device. The device must be at around the eye level.
Agreed. why the LCD on the wrong side? It looks like a Puny 5" display.
i think the display wont be clearly visible to the driver.

It would be great, if they could launch multiple products with different LCD position combinations. Let the customer choose what he wants.

Personally, i would like LCD under IRVM. LCD will be closer for driver and IRVM will occupy its own place. Back Foldable display should ensure that, the LCD could be moved away, if not required.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 4th March 2014 at 15:53.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 16:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

The navigation system on the IRVM is something that I do not want to comment on without checking how comfortable the whole thing would be. But I did search for an IRVM which can integrate the rear view camera just as the one available in the Verna. Hyundai would not sell the mirror over the counter and said it would be replaced under warranty if required. If such a mirror is available i the market, members may kindly update.

Got to check the thing.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:31   #9
BHPian

Re: MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solution

Digging an old thread because I am planning to get this. Is anyone here using this?
I have a few questions:
1. How does is mount on mirror? Can I mount it on Maruti IRVMs? Alto, WagonR, A-Star common IRVM!
2. Is the mirror day night?
3. What is battery life?
4. Can the Nav screen be tilted a bit to drive side? (that will be pointless though as it will reduce mirror coverage!)
5. Is the device based on Android or Windows CE? Can I connect iPhone to it?
6. Can I pair this device to bluetooth car stereo so its sound output goes to car stereo?
Old 19th August 2015, 09:25   #10
BHPian

Re: MapmyIndia's Smart Mirror: Integrated IRVM, Reversing camera & Navigation solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Digging an old thread because I am planning to get this. Is anyone here using this?
I have a few questions:
1. How does is mount on mirror? Can I mount it on Maruti IRVMs? Alto, WagonR, A-Star common IRVM!
2. Is the mirror day night?
3. What is battery life?
4. Can the Nav screen be tilted a bit to drive side? (that will be pointless though as it will reduce mirror coverage!)
5. Is the device based on Android or Windows CE? Can I connect iPhone to it?
6. Can I pair this device to bluetooth car stereo so its sound output goes to car stereo?
I have not used it personally, but seen it.

1. Snaps on the existing mirror. Should work on Maruti Alto/Wagon R fine.

2 &3. Not sure.

4. You can tilt it (as it is clamped on the existing IVRM). However, the navigation screen is on the left, so "away" from driver. That is a bad thing.

5. Windows CE 6.0.

6. No Bluetooth, can't pair iPhone. You can output the audio of the device via FM transmitter to your car speakers.

Overall, I think navigation devices should be at eye level. That is what I think goes against this device.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks