Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Convert Power Drill to Polisher / Buffing Machine?

Hi,

I'm looking for help from where I can get a W14 thread adapter that can fit into a power drill.

Was thinking of getting my Punto polished as a weekend activity. However, the physical stress in getting the buffing done manually made me back out and then, it clicked to me as to why not convert my Bosch drill to a polisher/ wax buffing machine.

Searched on the internet and figured there is an adapter that I can get to connect between the power drill and a polisher back plate (called a W14 thread adapter). Went around in Trivandrum hardware shops for one and surprisingly no one has even heard of one.

The only place I have seen one as of now is in Amazon.com ( Shipping outside USA not possible) and in Aliexpress ( Not sure on the reliability of the site + 30 - 45 days of shipping time )

Does anyone know any Indian website from where I can get one / any place in Trivandrum, Kerala where I can get one?

Thanks in advance

Regards
George V

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2014 at 14:45. Reason: Typos
pvgeorge is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th March 2014, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Convert Power Drill to Polisher / Buffing Machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
Hi,
I m looking for help from where I can get a W14 thread adapter that can fit into a power drill
Regards
George V
George from my experience , I can tell you that carrying a picture of what you need is the best way to ask around. Has helped me multiple times wherein I have needed something specific . Have gotten blank stares from stores that stock these parts who have had no clue when asked about it. Showing them a picture definitely helped.

Also can you post a picture of what exactly you are looking for ? I am sure someone here should be to help you.
rjstyles69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 11:21   #3
BHPian

re: Convert Power Drill to Polisher / Buffing Machine?

You sure it's W14 and not M14 adapter? Bosch has a polishing sponge with M14 adapter which may be what you are looking for and you can get it from ebay.in -
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Bosch-Polishi...item2a339e07fe

Or if you are looking for an inexpensive DIY solution, try this-
http://www.instructables.com/id/Car-...drill-machine/
Astleviz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 15:34   #4
BHPian

Re: Convert Power Drill to Polisher / Buffing Machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
You sure it's W14 and not M14 adapter? Bosch has a polishing sponge with M14 adapter which may be what you are looking for and you can get it from ebay.in -
Thanks ... its indeed M14 adapter.. The one from eBay is the pad. this pad need to be attached to drill and that is where the adapter comes in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Or if you are looking for an inexpensive DIY solution, try this-
http://www.instructables.com/id/Car-...drill-machine/
it is indeed a nice DIY Will try this at home today if possible. will let you know the success

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
George from my experience , I can tell you that carrying a picture of what you need is the best way to ask around. Has helped me multiple times wherein I have needed something specific . Have gotten blank stares from stores that stock these parts who have had no clue when asked about it. Showing them a picture definitely helped.

Also can you post a picture of what exactly you are looking for ? I am sure someone here should be to help you.
thanks... I tried attaching the image and I hope it comes out well in the post

Convert Power Drill to Polisher / Buffing Machine?-m14.jpg

Last edited by pvgeorge : 17th March 2014 at 15:38. Reason: Image coming wrongly
Old 17th March 2014, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you want to use a drill, use it right.

http://www.autofresh.in/exterior-car...78545-cat.html
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 09:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hello George, doing polishing using drill can be laborious and tricky. What is the wattage of the drill you are using? IF you have 700 watts or above you may try. Else you will burn the drilling machine. You need more powerful torquey motor to do the polishing stuff. You can get one Skill brand from ebay for cheap these days and save the drill for drilling purpose. Getting this stuff in TVM can be painful. Try internet.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2014 at 15:33. Reason: Typo
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:03   #7
DWC
BHPian

Hi, I was thinking of buying a drill attachable polisher myself, but cant seem to find one in this country. George, any update? What did you do in the end?
Old 25th June 2020, 19:13   #8
BANNED

I'm having a drill gathering dust at home.

Found some videos using drill as a car polisher:

Is there any negative effects in using this method?
Old 25th June 2020, 19:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

Back when I had buffed the brake calipers of my car for painting, I had used a drill with a wire brush attachment. From what I can remember, the drill got heated up quickly. Since I was wearing those cloth gloves, I could hold it for a couple of more minutes.

I don't think the drill is meant to work continuosly like that unlike a polisher. I maybe wrong though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed