Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 00:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?

I purchased a set for my Fortuner from Autofurnish.

Does the job of reducing temp inside the car while parked and was just what the doctor ordered to get much needed relief from the sun!

Answering a few queries regarding how it interferes with daily instances such as toll or parking slips , for the Fortuner the sun shades have a gap on front for the front sunshades thereby preventing their removal every time you have to pay toll.

I wont say that they are a perfect fit and neither they are "Magneto" magnetic but they get the job done and cost lesser than what one would have paid for a sunfilm.

And they are easily removable so if you wander to a city with over aggressive traffic cops , just park and remove them otherwise keep them on and appreciate a cooler car cabin .
Here is a reference pic from their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-0007507_autofurnishcustomfitcarsunshadescurtainsmeshfortoyotafortuner4pcs.jpeg  

Old 20th August 2014, 21:26   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
I purchased a set for my Fortuner from Autofurnish.

Does the job of reducing temp inside the car while parked and was just what the doctor ordered to get much needed relief from the sun!

Answering a few queries regarding how it interferes with daily instances such as toll or parking slips , for the Fortuner the sun shades have a gap on front for the front sunshades thereby preventing their removal every time you have to pay toll.

I wont say that they are a perfect fit and neither they are "Magneto" magnetic but they get the job done and cost lesser than what one would have paid for a sunfilm.

And they are easily removable so if you wander to a city with over aggressive traffic cops , just park and remove them otherwise keep them on and appreciate a cooler car cabin .
Here is a reference pic from their site.
Could you post pics with it on your car ?
Old 25th August 2014, 15:41   #78
BHPian

Since a past few months, I have started noticing these sunshades in cars very frequently. I was very curious that why am I the only one who thought these sun shades were on the expensive side.

Last saturday i decided to walk into a neighborhood car accessories shop asking about these shades. To my surprise, they were available. There were two types available:
1. Magnetic
2. Non Magnetic

When i asked about the price, the magnetic ones were for 700 bucks and 600 for the other ones. Now it made more sense, why so many people have it on their rides

Surely, they were built to cost but still, the magnetic ones, looked like worth giving it a shot. To my bad luck, magnetic ones for Verna were not available.

The guy told me, he can get me these in 1-2 days. I am seriously thinking of giving these a shot. I think it is better than spending some 3.5k on the Autofurnish ones.

Do any other members have any experience with these and can give their valuable feedback?
Old 25th August 2014, 16:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
The guy told me, he can get me these in 1-2 days. I am seriously thinking of giving these a shot. I think it is better than spending some 3.5k on the Autofurnish ones.
My thoughts exactly.
I even emails Autofurnish and asked them for more photos of the shades installed on a Duster, to see if they are really worth the cost.
They just sent me the photos posted on the website, which is not even of a Duster.
I also asked them about the quality difference between the 6 and 4 piece shades. They cost 3.5K and 1k respectively. Found no specifics in their reply.

I too plan to visit auto accessories shops to get a set of magnetic shades.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:54   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Has any one tried the Ventilation Car Fan Solar Powered Exhaust System to keep your car cool when parked outdoor

http://www.ebay.in/itm/201053682362?..._qi=RTM1805020
I found it not useful for my car when it is parked in the sun.Though the fan works the heat does not subside.Also when the sunlight direction changes,it is ineffective. This is my experience.Have removed it.
Old 30th August 2014, 16:15   #81
Team-BHP Support

My dad's Altis got pulled over by the cops for sunfilm. I found it strange cause the car doesn't have films!!

I am assuming, seeing a black car they stopped to check for films. When they didn't find any film on the side windows, they looked at the rear windshield and asked about the curtain shade. My dad told them it is a window shade that comes along with the car. Yet, the cop insisted that it be pulled down. He said even that is not allowed.

Now majority of high end cars come with the rolling window shade for side and rear. What happens to them.

I think this is getting silly and Bangalore police are taking it too far.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 17:02   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My dad's Altis got pulled over by the cops for sunfilm. I found it strange cause the car doesn't have films!!

I am assuming, seeing a black car they stopped to check for films. When they didn't find any film on the side windows, they looked at the rear windshield and asked about the curtain shade. My dad told them it is a window shade that comes along with the car. Yet, the cop insisted that it be pulled down. He said even that is not allowed.

Now majority of high end cars come with the rolling window shade for side and rear. What happens to them.

I think this is getting silly and Bangalore police are taking it too far.

I have been asking the same question to myself. I believe it's not legal to use the rear sun blinds, but then, it is already approved for use in India and owners payed for them!

So who is on the right side of the law here?

PS- I get pulled over for sunfilm checking as well, even though the car doesn't have any! White car with black interiors make the glass feel darker than it is.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 13:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

I needed curtains for an enjoy which was recently purchased in the family and spent 2 weekends out doing research and looking at the many options which were available. Most of the universal "fits" were simply not ok in terms of the coverage of the windows and the general lack of fit to the size of the windows resulting in the interiors looking quite shabby.

Out of the universal set the most promising were the pull down "awing" type of units which provided good coverage and if you can be creative with your installation then they can also be placed horizontally increasing

I was aware of the magnetic set but was not even looking at them owing to the price ranges which i saw online - 4000-6000 , simply too much to spend on something which i would be trying out for the first time...

... but while in Lajpat Nagar in Delhi was speaking to a shop keeper on options and he turned around and told me that they were not very expensive and quoted about 2500 for them - which got me thinking about them again , the problem being ready supply - since these were for the enjoy there was simply not enough demand and i would have to place an order and then wait for 2-3 days to get them : very unkeen on doing this because i would not be able to see them in person before buying from a quality perspective and secondly some of the rather unethical practices which these guys do.

Back on the net to try and find them but no luck and then i stumbled upon a dealer in the other side of Delhi who said he could arrange them and the cost quoted was only 1250 bucks!! He also said he could get them in a day which is why i started a conversation - eventually it took about 7 days ( i had not given any advance) - for the same reasons of lack of availability - but finally he managed to source them directly from one of the manufacturers.

Put them on the car yesterday and i must say they go quite well , i doubt if these are the branded ones which are mentioned on this thread and hence the low price ( part of low price also owing to location of dealer in Delhi which is more wholesale than retail) but at 1250 they are value for money

The magnets are reasonably strong and attach themselves quickly. The fit and finish i would rate at 7.5 or so on 10 which is still quite excellent and in terms of build they look like they will last a bit - a few small pieces of double tape would help them be a bit more secure on the window line - if required at all

Set of 6 pieces - the last windows are less magnetic and more cut to size allowing them to basically be inserted into the shape of the window and that is what holds them there which is fine.

Installed them late evening and in the basement - hopefully the "darkness" will be more once out in the sun
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-picture1.jpg  

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-picture2.jpg  

Old 10th September 2014, 18:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Last saturday i decided to walk into a neighborhood car accessories shop asking about these shades. To my surprise, they were available. There were two types available:
1. Magnetic
2. Non Magnetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Back on the net to try and find them but no luck and then i stumbled upon a dealer in the other side of Delhi who said he could arrange them and the cost quoted was only 1250 bucks!! He also said he could get them in a day which is why i started a conversation - eventually it took about 7 days ( i had not given any advance) - for the same reasons of lack of availability - but finally he managed to source them directly from one of the manufacturers.
Hi revved_up, puchoo,

Please share details of respective shops in Delhi, address and contact number would be helpful. Need a set for Chevrolet Aveo but unable to find them online.

Cheers
Old 10th September 2014, 18:50   #85
Senior - BHPian

Are these available in Bangalore? Please post details of the shops from where these can be procured. Thanks!!
Old 10th September 2014, 19:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Hi revved_up, puchoo,

Please share details of respective shops in Delhi, address and contact number would be helpful. Need a set for Chevrolet Aveo but unable to find them online.

Cheers
I bought a set from Karol Bagh for 700 bucks. They are available at almost all shops on Gurdwara Road.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a set from Karol Bagh for 700 bucks. They are available at almost all shops on Gurdwara Road.
Hey revved_up,

Thanks for the lead, asked my cousin to check out there most of them declined for Aveo, found one shop at Gurdwara Road who agreed for to make one on Rs 500 advance. Got a set of 4 for Rs 1000.

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-img_2016002.jpg

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-img_2022.jpg

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-img_2018111.jpg
yogiii is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:05   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey revved_up,

Thanks for the lead, asked my cousin to check out there most of them declined for Aveo, found one shop at Gurdwara Road who agreed for to make one on Rs 500 advance. Got a set of 4 for Rs 1000.
Looks neat. How do you deal with the toll booths as I don't think they can be removed then.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Looks neat. How do you deal with the toll booths as I don't think they can be removed then.
Hi harry10,

Had them installed today so no first hand experience but yes to attach/remove them you have to open the the door.

If you are looking for City I think you will have plenty of options/brands/dealers who would offer design for front with a cut to view the side view mirror and can be used on toll booths.

For Chevrolet Aveo it was really difficult to find one, the only toll I used to pass was of Gurgaon which is no longer there the problems I will face will be at mall parking with token system where you have to push the button and McDonald's Drive Thru

But I guess I would have make do by opening the door.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Hey revved_up,

Great!! How do you find them?

I have been using these for about few weeks now, and honestly, I find them a little inadequate in stopping the sunlight(they are a tinge too light)..but neverthless, its better then having nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Actually, this is a major drawback.
For example, while entering my office parking, the security guard provides me a token. So in the current scenario i have to open the door and get the token and then in the evening to return the token. I face the same problem on toll booths, paid parkings etc.

But, all in all, I think these sunshades are quite a bang for the buck for 700 odd bucks. I am so glad i did not spend 3.5 grand on the ones which are available online.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks