Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 15:03   #46
rbp
BHPian

Re: SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
That will be one killer setup! What do you have in mind Denso or Matsu ? Will you get them potted ?

I think it may be because hidplanet is owned by TRS folks and they love to promote their Morimoto brand. The OEM's are clearly better
Haven't decided which one, the only concern is neither of them is waterproof like the Morrimotto ballast.

Last edited by rbp : 17th August 2014 at 15:30. Reason: Googled for potted
Old 17th August 2014, 16:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Haven't decided which one, the only concern is neither of them is waterproof like the Morrimotto ballast.
I read Denso's are preferred more, though there's hardly any difference between the 2. Matsushita is very compact though. TRS charges $100 to pot ballasts when I last checked with them.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:47   #48
rbp
BHPian

An update, the Osram XNB have done close to 20 hours now, they have become very bright now, driving on highways has never been this good. What a difference between the Morrimotto and Osram's. It is like comparing the moon light to the sun light. If you have the money go for it. On Saturday along with a couple of friends did a 5 hour night drive, they were blown away by the output. Anything else on the road feels like they are driving with their lights off.
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:59   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update -

The SX4 eyes have got a cataract One of the angel eye went off a month ago. I noticed it last month. Not sure if this can be repaired easily or so but have to do some diagnostic as well - if the wire is cut/ angel eye is gone kaput/ or something else?

See the pic of both eyes -

Blind Eye -
SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs-img_0446.jpg

Working eye -
SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs-img_0449.jpg

And the the LED strip in one eye has developed the flicker -

The problem is, Satya is super busy nowadays and his place is good 1.5 hrs away in one direction... damn
Old 4th January 2015, 09:31   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with such a setup is the assembly has to be opened up for any sort of repair or replacement. That will end up sealing and resealing the assembly again and again. I just hope that your problem is to do with connections which have gone loose. That flicker is an indication of the LED about to pack up. Please replace that in advance as well since the assembly has to be opened anyways.

One tip to prolong the life of these LEDs is to use an extra power resistor to limit the current through them. More the brightness, lesser is the life. Hence for a small reduction in brightness, the LEDs run cooler and will also last longer. Usually these things are designed for a 12V supply but they will be getting 14V or more when the car is running. This is one common issue in using LEDs.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th January 2015 at 09:36.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:08   #51
BHPian

Ive always had this FXR vs Morimoto Mini debate in my head since I've decided to upgrade my Punto's headlamps. But i think this setup clearly tilts my inclination towards the FXR setup. It looks brilliant and the beam throw is impressive to say the least.
I think i need to lookup Satya soon and go ahead with the FXR install.
Old 27th July 2016, 21:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
A quick update -
I spoke to Satya today as I am prepping myself to upgrade my Honda City lights to Projector setup.

Few questions:

1) I believe, by moving on to Projector + Bi-Xenon setup, am expecting a better visibility in both city and highway roads in Low beam itself. Is that a reasonable expectation ?

2) Will the Morimoto Mini Projector/HID setup be effective in terms of more visibility ?

3) While talking to Satya, he gave me only 2 options - FXR and Hela [if I heard it right] for Projector/HID Kit. He hasnt mentioned the Morimoto Mini. Doesnt Satya deal with this mini ?

Thanks in advance !
Prem.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:23   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
1) I believe, by moving on to Projector + Bi-Xenon setup, am expecting a better visibility in both city and highway roads in Low beam itself. Is that a reasonable expectation ?

2) Will the Morimoto Mini Projector/HID setup be effective in terms of more visibility ?

3) While talking to Satya, he gave me only 2 options - FXR and Hela [if I heard it right] for Projector/HID Kit. He hasnt mentioned the Morimoto Mini. Doesnt Satya deal with this mini ?

HIDs would definitely be helpful. Sharper beams, longer throw is glass is clear and absolutely better than general stock halogen low beams. No irritating for oncoming vehicles too. So yes.

Morimoto are a good brand. Many have installed it and they are really comparable as well as reliable.

FXR or Morimoto - good options. He probably only deals with FXR. And he will mostly put Amritras P8 HID bulbs. Hella must be the external aux light setup he would be referring to - or Hella also has HID/ Projector KITs? I am not aware of it. It's been long time.

My suggestion - don't use any Chinese LED strips and all that. It's difficult to replace them once you have opened and sealed the headlights for projector housing. Not recommended to break open everyone and then. A slight leak can cause big trouble in future from visibility and safety perspective.

And after I have been to Satya for my XUV HID thing, I have started noticing that his attitude towards customers is not same as it used to be before. So if your setup has any defects/ issues for whatever reason, expect a heartburn while dealing with him even if it's his mistake or not. I wouldn't go back to him ever. ☹️
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks