Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
Thanks mate for the information with a quick reply. I was suggested motocontrol harness H4 by the TRS official I believe you're talking of the same harness, right? I'm confused about the shrouds on TRS website. I'm afraid if the ones I chose will fit or not. I know they'll be trimmed but I don't know which ones to buy. Any suggestions?

Cheers !
Yup. I was referring to that,just couldn't recollect the full description I'm more of a 'can't care how it looks if it works' guy,so shrouds are not something I know well about. Just ask the TRS guys if what you have in mind will need cutting. Do send them a pic of your headlights,may be they'll be able to help you better then.
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Yup. I was referring to that,just couldn't recollect the full description I'm more of a 'can't care how it looks if it works' guy,so shrouds are not something I know well about. Just ask the TRS guys if what you have in mind will need cutting. Do send them a pic of your headlights,may be they'll be able to help you better then.
The TRS guys are busy relocating their HQ to a bigger place. They'll open on Wednesday, that's tomorrow. The shroud on the TRS website that I selected has a dia of 80 mm from front i.e. 3.14 inches but I'm ordering a 2.5" inch lens so what about the gap in between i.e. 3.14-2.5 = 00.64 inches ? Any idea about that?
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
The TRS guys are busy relocating their HQ to a bigger place. They'll open on Wednesday, that's tomorrow. The shroud on the TRS website that I selected has a dia of 80 mm from front i.e. 3.14 inches but I'm ordering a 2.5" inch lens so what about the gap in between i.e. 3.14-2.5 = 00.64 inches ? Any idea about that?
Mate, i'm really not sure about that. However, i'm guessing you'll be ok since the shroud sits over the projector and needs to be slightly bigger. Once they're back, check if it sits flush or is a little too big.

Hope it helps!
Old 27th July 2014, 11:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic job, abirnale! Thanks a lot for sharing the process including detailed pictures! The headlights really look cool, and the light throw looks great as well. This thread is immensely useful to me, since I am sick of the stock headlights on my SX4, and need some headlight mod very soon.

One quick question: Is there a switch installed to operate the DRLs, or by definition of DRL, they remain ON by default all the time when the car is running?

I really love the DRLs, but a bit nervous about cutting the reflectors for installing the projectors. So I was thinking about installing only these DRLs, and then going with 90/100 bulbs with the relays (which requires no change to the headlight assembly or reflector). Since you mentioned you had these 90/100 bulbs earlier, what do you think about these? Do you think they did a decent job?

Thanks,
-AD
Old 27th July 2014, 18:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Thank you AD for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
One quick question: Is there a switch installed to operate the DRLs, or by definition of DRL, they remain ON by default all the time when the car is running?
Yes, there is a switch I pulled inside the driver area, below the steering wheel that can turn the DRLs on or off. The DRLs also have integrated turn signals. When you turn the DRL off, the tubes stay off but with indicator they come on. As soon as indicator is off, they go off again So absolutely controllable and at driver's wish they impress the onlookers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
So I was thinking about installing only these DRLs, and then going with 90/100 bulbs with the relays (which requires no change to the headlight assembly or reflector). Since you mentioned you had these 90/100 bulbs earlier, what do you think about these? Do you think they did a decent job?
That is a good idea too. The DRLs can be independent of the bulbs thereby eliminating the need to cut reflectors etc. You can use CFL tube instead of just LED tube for better effect even during the bright sunlight. Talking about the 90/100 bulbs, they are nothing compared to FXR setup or LightForce/ Hella external bulb setup. So I think, you will be still craving for more light with 90/100 bulbs. If you want to avoid reflectors cutting, may be you should give a thought to Hella/ LightForce setup.
Old 3rd August 2014, 23:42   #36
rbp
BHPian

I have finally ordered the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, as I found the Morimotto's lacking in intensity, these Osram bulbs are suppose to be the best in the market, I have read hundreds of threads praising these bulbs, I pray I am happy with these as these are very costly 200$ including shipping . I shall try to capture a before and after bulb change images, should help the others.

The link to the bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...htbreaker.html
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I have finally ordered the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, as I found the Morimotto's lacking in intensity, these Osram bulbs are suppose to be the best in the market, I have read hundreds of threads praising these bulbs, I pray I am happy with these as these are very costly 200$ including shipping . I shall try to capture a before and after bulb change images, should help the others.
Congrats rbp! Looking forward to hear more from you about actual experience. Hope you get them soon and we see pictures
Old 4th August 2014, 14:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The link to the bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...htbreaker.html

Does your car have projectors installed ?

Installing a projector specific HID kit ( D2S ) in a reflector setup is never a good idea .Will cause a lot of scattering and blinding . For fogs it will work out good since the throw of fogs in anyway short distance.

If you want to install on reflector then its best to go for reflector specific HID Kits (D2R). Like the one Corolla has on its low beam. Even though its HID, no scattering
Old 4th August 2014, 16:21   #39
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
I had the Mini D2S installed in my i20 by Satya, later on got rid of it and went for FXR 3.0, beam quality, intensity wise, there is absolutely no comparision, the FXR is way way better. The same morrimotto bulbs that felt useless previously in Mini D2S, performed way better in the FXR. The FXR projector is almost 90% sealed, where as the mini isn't.

I have heard that the Mini D2S 6.0 perform better than the Mini D2s 5.0 [I had in my car previously].

@Abirnale :- There is no stage 3 or stage 4 FXR projectors, they both are the same, there are two different types of kits, stage 3 kit and stage 4 kit, the stage 3 kit uses FXR projector and Morrimotto bulbs and ballast, where as the Stage 4 kit uses the same FXR projector and OEM bulbs [Philips bulb] and Ballast [Denso or Matshuita].

Any one who wants to go for the projectors, I would personally advice to go for the Stage 4 KIT.

Stage 3 Kit link http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...e-iii-kit.html

Stage 4 Kit link
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Uz07bfk9h8E
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does your car have projectors installed ?

Installing a projector specific HID kit ( D2S ) in a reflector setup is never a good idea .Will cause a lot of scattering and blinding . For fogs it will work out good since the throw of fogs in anyway short distance.

If you want to install on reflector then its best to go for reflector specific HID Kits (D2R). Like the one Corolla has on its low beam. Even though its HID, no scattering
@sagarpadaki :- I am quoting my own post from the previous page.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@sagarpadaki :- I am quoting my own post from the previous page.
Thank you. Did not go through the previous pages. You should have a rocking setup once you get the bulbs. Please post before and after comparison pics
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 11:42   #41
rbp
BHPian

Finally the Osram XNB's arrived, with my good friend Krishna Prasad alias nkrishnap [TBHP id], we replaced the Morimotto bulbs with the Osram's. There are a few more images which I will need to process, will do later, for now, we captured a video, these bulbs feel almost Halogen like not the white or blue bling. So what are the first impressions like, well I am happy, because I can see better and these will perform far better in rains [experienced this yesterday] and dark black roads when compared to the white light.

Note :- These bulbs need at least 20 to 30 hours of break in, in fact all HID's need it. So hope fully these will brighten further.

SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs-osram.jpg

rbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 14:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice addition to your setup rbp. It almost looks like you've got a Halogen projector in the video.

I've read these bulbs get brighter and whiter after 100 hrs or so. Do keep us updated if you observe it. Any plans to swap the ballasts with OEM's ?
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 14:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Finally the Osram XNB's arrived, with my good friend Krishna Prasad alias nkrishnap [TBHP id], we replaced the Morimotto bulbs with the Osram's. There are a few more images which I will need to process, will do later, for now, we captured a video, these bulbs feel almost Halogen like not the white or blue bling. So what are the first impressions like, well I am happy, because I can see better and these will perform far better in rains [experienced this yesterday] and dark black roads when compared to the white light.
Congrats on your possession. Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited is considered to be the world's best performing HID available today. Enjoy!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 12:19   #44
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Nice addition to your setup rbp. It almost looks like you've got a Halogen projector in the video.

I've read these bulbs get brighter and whiter after 100 hrs or so. Do keep us updated if you observe it. Any plans to swap the ballasts with OEM's ?
Yep, next is OEM ballast on the list

By the way had a chance to ride for a couple of hours yesterday, these are already getting brighter. Some important things to note

1) The color doesn't look halogenish, it appears halongeish white.

2) The cut-off is sooper sharp, as u guys have seen in the video, it looks great.

3) I already feel these are brighter than my brother's Merc ML350 projectors

4) These bulbs do not glare the oncoming traffic, even in high beam, they are acceptable, with the older morrimotto's the oncoming vehicle used to keep requesting me for a low beam.

5) Finally, the ordinary HID's morrimotto's are not even half as bright as these, absolutely no comparision.

If you guys can afford, go for these, u will never regret.

For people interested in reading for the best bulbs around, here is a link

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-D2S-Bulb-Test

though this test also rates the XB35 bullbs highly, I would take it with a pinch of salt as I have the same bulbs in my Ninja and there is absolutely no comparison between the OSRAM's and XB35.

By the way the XB35's used in the above test are the latest generation, not the one in my Ninja.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2014 at 22:09. Reason: We do not allow more than 2 smileys per post.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 13:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, next is OEM ballast on the list.
That will be one killer setup! What do you have in mind Denso or Matsu ? Will you get them potted ?

Quote:
though this test also rates the XB35 bullbs highly, I would take it with a pinch of salt
I think it may be because hidplanet is owned by TRS folks and they love to promote their Morimoto brand. The OEM's are clearly better

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2014 at 22:09. Reason: removed excessive smileys from quoted post
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks