Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 02:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna: Rear Torsion Bar / Front Stabilizer Bar?

From a little bit of research, Rear Torsion Bar and Front Stabilizer Bar are supposed to drastically improve the handling of the 2012+ Verna/ Accent. As a 1+ year owner of a 2013 1.6 CRDi SX (O), fixing the nervous back and boaty handling tops my wishlist.

I don't want to throw a Lakh INR on aftermarket suspensions if the handling can be made better with these mods. Anyone tried this on the Hyundais, or any other cars? Or can this be procured/ made-to-order locally?

This is what I mean - http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=243&ai_id=4040
One more link for a read - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb...ng-spring.html
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Verna: Rear Torsion Bar / Front Stabilizer Bar?

Handling you can improve by adding a stabiliser bars, should make the car more crisp but that won't help the floating/boat feeling. For that you need to change the suspension (spring or damper) ratings.

As far as my experience with Hyundai cars (Verna), i feel the latter is where things are bad, per say the steering feedback is not THAT bad. Another option may be to try slightly wider but lower profile tires.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Theoretically this should improve handling. Not a very expensive or complicated modification, so it would be well worth trying out. Especially only the rear bar as most folks on the Hyundai forum seem to suggest. 'Made-to-order locally' is not a good idea at all - the cost may be prohibitive, and you'd never be sure of the quality of material used. Look forward to your experience.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs folks.

@Jaggu - my primary problem is not the boaty feel, as am used to the Santro, i10, Getz CRDi and the previous Verna. Sensing it will not behave well with changes in direction is more or less predictable once you're used to it.

What's discomforting is the rear stepping out of line when turning on uneven surfaces (like the stretch that has a 5" horizontal cut along the radius of the curve near my place) even at pretty low speeds. This might take you off guard of you are not expecting it.

A full spring and damper mod is definitely on the cards...

@SS-Traveller - I'll check the costs, but I suspect the shipping costs will be a killer. That's why was wondering if there's an importer for these stuff or even a decent local manufacturer.

I'll keep the thread posted with what I get to.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:14   #5
BHPian

Have a look at this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3398106
revved_up is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks revved_up. I have asked for some clarifications to the OP of that thread. My contacts within Hyundai said VINs higher than 111111 already has the newer springs :(
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks revved_up. I have asked for some clarifications to the OP of that thread. My contacts within Hyundai said VINs higher than 111111 already has the newer springs :(
Well, as far as I am concerned, I am having a hard time getting hyundai to change the coil springs.
After numerous emails to hyundai, today i got a call from regional office and the lady has flatly refused of any such tsb from hyundai under which coil springs are being replaced.

This is very frustrating specially when other dealers are replacing springs under warranty.
Mine is June 2012.model.

Last edited by revved_up : 23rd April 2014 at 21:28.
Old 24th April 2014, 05:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Well, as far as I am concerned, I am having a hard time getting hyundai to change the coil springs.
After numerous emails to hyundai, today i got a call from regional office and the lady has flatly refused of any such tsb from hyundai under which coil springs are being replaced.

This is very frustrating specially when other dealers are replacing springs under warranty.
Mine is June 2012.model.
Hey Jaspreet,

Sad to hear about that :(
I havent got a chance to visit them yet but will try to soon. I am thinking of giving a visit to the Greater Noida service center where I had originally snapped that picture of the TSB for the thump noise. I didnt talk to those guys much as thought I will show it to the people at samara/hans hyundai and get it done but they ask for proof. I had a messy argument with the guy over it as they wanted me to prove it when I visited them last time. I told him that why would I bother to drive here and come to them unless I am facing issues to which he promptly said that they also need to prove it to the service center people. All this was last year when I had discovered that TSB I posted earlier. After a long test drive on Jail Road we were still nowhere as the road were quite good around the area.

A month back I was driving on the same road with both my parents seated at the back and brother in front passenger over the Jail road flyover and there was a pothole in the middle of the flyover which I didnt see and BAM came the thump noise again. My furiousness came back and decided to pursue this issue again. The AutoRunner spacers are available from Mumbai and a friend is currently there visiting and will return in June 1st week. If I can get the coil spring issue sorted till then under warranty, well and good else I will go for the rubber assisters. 4k for 4 pieces.
Old 24th April 2014, 06:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
Hey Jaspreet,

Sad to hear about that :(
I havent got a chance to visit them yet but will try to soon. I am thinking of giving a visit to the Greater Noida service center where I had originally snapped that picture of the TSB for the thump noise. I didnt talk to those guys much as thought I will show it to the people at samara/hans hyundai and get it done but they ask for proof. I had a messy argument with the guy over it as they wanted me to prove it when I visited them last time. I told him that why would I bother to drive here and come to them unless I am facing issues to which he promptly said that they also need to prove it to the service center people. All this was last year when I had discovered that TSB I posted earlier. After a long test drive on Jail Road we were still nowhere as the road were quite good around the area.

A month back I was driving on the same road with both my parents seated at the back and brother in front passenger over the Jail road flyover and there was a pothole in the middle of the flyover which I didnt see and BAM came the thump noise again. My furiousness came back and decided to pursue this issue again. The AutoRunner spacers are available from Mumbai and a friend is currently there visiting and will return in June 1st week. If I can get the coil spring issue sorted till then under warranty, well and good else I will go for the rubber assisters. 4k for 4 pieces.
The spacers are something which I also wanted to explore, but since it has some cons like stress on suspension, reduced life for springs and decreased tyre life. Then, since ppl were getting solution from.the oem itself, I decided to pursue this matter.

The lady at regional office has offered me to take the car to sikka Hyundai mayapuri and if i can show them the thud noise, they will give me a solution.
I am really fed up of banging the car in potholes to prove this problem. I fear damaging something else in this pursuit of mine.
Its really a pity on Hyundai's part.

Last edited by revved_up : 24th April 2014 at 06:39.
Old 24th April 2014, 06:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The spacers are something which I also wanted to explore, but since it has some cons like stress on suspension, reduced life for springs and decreased tyre life. Then, since ppl were getting solution from.the oem itself, I decided to pursue this matter.

The lady at regional office has offered me to take the car to sikka Hyundai mayapuri and if i can show them the thud noise, they will give me a solution.
I am really fed up of banging the car in potholes to prove this problem. I fear damaging something else in this pursuit of mine.
Its really a pity on Hyundai's part.

Did you not get any respose to your emails from hyundai or regional managers ? Or the call from the service center was supposed to be a response ?
Btw mine is also june 2012 1.6 ex crdi variant
Old 24th April 2014, 06:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Did you not get any respose to your emails from hyundai or regional managers ? Or the call from the service center was supposed to be a response ?
Btw mine is also june 2012 1.6 ex crdi variant
After several reminders, i got the call yesterday from regional office. That's the only response.

Btw, instead of spending 4k on spacers, why don't u get the coil springs changed on paid basis? Should cost almost the same.
Old 24th April 2014, 07:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
After several reminders, i got the call yesterday from regional office. That's the only response.

Btw, instead of spending 4k on spacers, why don't u get the coil springs changed on paid basis? Should cost almost the same.
A few days back I had read somewhere it costs 10k then somewhere it said 4500+ taxes and last night i found in the thread by amyth that it costs close to 4k so i am considering that now. By the way your warranty is expiring this june unless u got extended warranty like me
Also there are 2 service centers on that mayapuri road...did you inquire at both of them ?
Check out my other thread on my recent mod
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dic-verna.html

Last edited by mani_jeenu : 24th April 2014 at 07:07.
Old 24th April 2014, 07:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
A few days back I had read somewhere it costs 10k then somewhere it said 4500+ taxes and last night i found in the thread by amyth that it costs close to 4k so i am considering that now. By the way your warranty is expiring this june unless u got extended warranty like me
Also there are 2 service centers on that mayapuri road...did you inquire at both of them ?
Check out my other thread on my recent mod
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dic-verna.html
I got extended warranty too.
Sikka Hyundai is one of the mayapuri ones, I will go there now on regional office's request.
Yep, I saw your mod, looks neat.
Old 24th April 2014, 12:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I got extended warranty too.
Sikka Hyundai is one of the mayapuri ones, I will go there now on regional office's request.
Yep, I saw your mod, looks neat.
I visited samara hyundai atoday and went through the same ordeal as always. They asked me to porve that the sound exists and they just cant replace anything unless an issue exists. I was resisting a test dribe but gave in and took a drive on jail road with 5 people seated and an empty cylinder, bass box and large suitcase in the box and as expected like last time, the potholes were all repaired so couldnt show the issue but the bouncy ride was present on uneven roads
So nothing good came out of it. When i was about to leave,
I asked him for regional manager details which he did noy have and instead gave me details for some amit bhatnagar at hmil. Just when i was about to leave, he called me back and asked me to sign a job work sheet which stated that i took a road test for suspension issue and no problems were found. Kinda to save his a**
I will try emailing the guy and see what happens.
Old 24th April 2014, 12:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I visited samara hyundai atoday and went through the same ordeal as always. They asked me to porve that the sound exists and they just cant replace anything unless an issue exists. I was resisting a test dribe but gave in and took a drive on jail road with 5 people seated and an empty cylinder, bass box and large suitcase in the box and as expected like last time, the potholes were all repaired so couldnt show the issue but the bouncy ride was present on uneven roads
So nothing good came out of it. When i was about to leave,
I asked him for regional manager details which he did noy have and instead gave me details for some amit bhatnagar at hmil. Just when i was about to leave, he called me back and asked me to sign a job work sheet which stated that i took a road test for suspension issue and no problems were found. Kinda to save his a**
I will try emailing the guy and see what happens.
couldnt find a more appropriate smiley.

You went to Samara Mayapuri? I get my car serviced there, but for this issue my car was taken to Kirti Nagar Samara where they changed rear pads.

The guy at HMIL is Vaibhav Bhatnagar, I have sent atleast 3-4 emails but no response. Yesterday the lady from regional office also tried to take him on a confrence with me but i was told he is not reachable. I have a strong feeling, he did not want to talk to me because i would have given him a good one.

Later I was told by the lady that Vaibhav Bhatnagar already knows there is nothing wrong with my car and the best they can do is get it checked at some other service centre. Thats where Sikka Hyundai came into picture.

I suggest you call up HMIL regional office and speak with Punita(011-66379503). You can give my reference and we can put pressure together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks