Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 15:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Before someone make another post saying " I have seen the whole disk in red color".

Come on let em paint the discs and pads....

Guys people do paint the discs and the pads also and then just go go go................................................ ...............

man this is turning out to be one great thread
Old 12th July 2006, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe
Come on let em paint the discs and pads....

Guys people do paint the discs and the pads also and then just go go go................................................ ...............

man this is turning out to be one great thread
wait till someone's gonna argue saying it really is red disks!
Old 12th July 2006, 15:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Those aren't stickers, but something like fake Brembo covers or so..

I got a small paint tin for Rs.30, painted the front calipers, like about 5-6 coats and till now it hasn't peeled off.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
wait till someone's gonna argue saying it really is red disks!
Argue???

Can't wait till tomorrow mate....there are heaps of high performance brake manufactures (including BREMBO, WILWOOD, AP Racing etc) that use ionised materials to give you coloured brake pads....red, green, blue....the same with discs.....its just a matter of looking for it...

RED STUFF

getting this for my GTR

COLOURED CAPLIPER COVERS

more options for caliper covers..

I have seen cars here with over $10,000 spent just on their brakes!!!

DOESN'T SEEM THAT FUNNY NOW EH?????

Painting pads is very common and the cheapest way of doing it...Painting the discs is just silly!!

Last edited by R32_GTR : 12th July 2006 at 16:11.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:34   #20
BANNED

I never expected this thread to turn into something like this. Great guys! Keep it going!
BTW, is it true that the callipers should be powdercoated? Or else it'll build up extra heat and will damage brakes?
Old 12th July 2006, 18:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
Argue???

Can't wait till tomorrow mate....there are heaps of high performance brake manufactures (including BREMBO, WILWOOD, AP Racing etc) that use ionised materials to give you coloured brake pads....red, green, blue....the same with discs.....its just a matter of looking for it...

RED STUFF

getting this for my GTR

this is just the compound used in the pads for their braking efficiency hence the name

http://www.car-stuff.com/ebcbrakes.htm
"EBC brakes has structured their brake pad lineup in a color-coded format. That allows you to choose the performance characteristics you want from your EBC brakes and choose a pad compound that suits your driving style. Black EBC brakes denote an OE-replacement pad that will give you better wear characteristics without damaging stock brake components. Or, you can upgrade to green or red EBC brake pads for improved brake performance with slightly more rotor wear. EBC brakes also has a full lineup of EBC brake rotors and discs in slotted and drilled versions to complement your new EBC brake friction materials. No matter what you want out of your brake system, EBC brakes can deliver a package that will outperform your expectations--as will our discount prices and fast delivery of your new EBC brakes. "

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...ake_bible.html

"
Just a quick word on brake pad compounds. Most pads used to use asbestos but we all know what that stuff is like. Today they use all manner of combinations of materials.
The pads themselves are made up of a friction material bonded to the backing plate. The brake caliper piston pushes against the backing plate and the friction material is pushed against the brake rotor. The material combinations typically fall into the following broad categories now.
Organic These pads are well-suited for street driving because they wear well, are easy on the ears, don't chew up the rotors and don't spew dust everywhere. They're favoured for your average family saloon because they work well when they're cold. Of course the drawback is that they don't work so well when they get hot. Semi-metallic / sintered This is a good compromise between street and track. These seem to be the pad of choice for sportier vehicles such as the Subaru Impreza WRX. They won't work as well as organic pads when they are cold, so you need to be a bit wary of the first couple of stops. Conversely they do work well when hot. Occasionally the weak link in semi-metallic pads is the bonding material that holds the friction pad to the backing plate. There have been occasions where the friction material has come away completely. That's infrequent though. Metallic These pads are typically reserved for racing or the extremely rich. They squeal and dust like crazy, are hard on rotors and don't work well when cold. Ceramic Ceramic pads still have metal fibers (about 15% vs. about 40% for semi-metallic) but they are copper instead of steel and therefore cause less wear and transfer heat better. They don't fade as easily as other pads, cool faster, last longer, and are effectively silent, as the sound they genereate is outside of the human range of hearing. Dogs will go crazy thought. The dust created by ceramic pads is also very light in color so your wheels look cleaner"
Quote:
COLOURED CAPLIPER COVERS

more options for caliper covers..

I have seen cars here with over $10,000 spent just on their brakes!!!

DOESN'T SEEM THAT FUNNY NOW EH?????
not at all and this is very common but Brembo does not use covers.....
the calipers are red... http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-sf.html
abt 2500 for the front set and 2500 for the rear set and that is USD

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...bsite1_046.htm
the Modena 360 costs ~4300 USD + tax for the front and about the same for the rear ......
and this is for the OEM replacement .... only

Quote:
Painting pads is very common and the cheapest way of doing it...Painting the discs is just silly!!
we were lauging on painting the discs and applying stickers on the calipers

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 12th July 2006 at 18:07.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
I never expected this thread to turn into something like this. Great guys! Keep it going!
BTW, is it true that the callipers should be powdercoated? Or else it'll build up extra heat and will damage brakes?
how would it damage the brakes ? after painting the calipers on my 3 i drove for ~100,000 Miles and no issues
Old 12th July 2006, 18:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:

not at all and this is very common but Brembo does not use covers.....
the calipers are red... http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-sf.html
abt 2500 for the front set and 2500 for the rear set and that is USD

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...bsite1_046.htm
the Modena 360 costs ~4300 USD + tax for the front and about the same for the rear ......
and this is for the OEM replacement .... only
NICE WORK WITH GOOGLE THERE....

Where in my post have i said that brembo use covers?

FYI brembo makes black calipers as well....too common in fact.

When i said people here spend $10,000 on brakes...i did not say they spend it on $250,000 + cars for which you are giving me a price list you got off some website...they are spending it on completely tricked out cars like civics, supras etc...you can buy a civic or a supra for that price.....

i myself have spent $1500 + on my brakes...and spent a lot of time checking out the real deal in person....

and like i said before....ONLY A CERTIFIED MORON WOULD PAINT HIS BRAKE DISCS......

Last edited by R32_GTR : 12th July 2006 at 18:28.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:41   #24
BANNED

Quote:
how would it damage the brakes ? after painting the calipers on my 3 i drove for ~100,000 Miles and no issues
EGGJJAKTLEE!!
I was puzzling too. But one famous mechanic here was of that opinion. I'll paint him next time. LOL!
Plenty of useful info has been posted here so far. Great work guys! Just imagine what a bunch of BHPians can do to this world?
Old 12th July 2006, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Where in my post have i said that brembo use covers?

seemed as if you meant that

Quote:

FYI brembo makes black calipers as well....too common in fact.

I know
I had em

after painting the calipers and driving ~100,000 Miles on em i upgraded my setup to 4 caliper (black) xdrilled and slotted brembos and braided linings, and drove ~40,000 miles. The upgrade I did my self with the help of a couple of friends.

Quote:
When i said people here spend $10,000 on brakes...i did not say they spend it on $250,000 + cars for which you are giving me a price list you got off some website...they are spending it on completely tricked out cars like civics, supras etc...you can buy a civic or a supra for that price.....

the brakes that i mentioned are not car specific you can put them up on any car provided you have the clearance for those huge brakes.
no matter what a civic(rice burner) will be a civic(rice burner) no matter how much you trick it out. the supra is another story ( big fan) and on the other hand a Ferrari and a Porsche with be a Ferrari and a Porsche

Quote:
i myself have spent $1500 + on my brakes...and spent a lot of time checking out the real deal in person....

That is good coz most ppl only concentrate on the GO GO GO and SHOW SHOW SHOW and fail miserable when it comes to stoooooooooooop !!! glad to hear some stable heads are prevailing

Quote:
and like i said before....ONLY A CERTIFIED MORON WOULD PAINT HIS BRAKE DISCS......
YUP

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 12th July 2006 at 18:50.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
after painting the calipers and driving ~100,000 Miles on em i upgraded my setup to 4 caliper (black) xdrilled and slotted brembos and braided linings, and droove ~40,000 miles. The upgrade I did my self with the help of a couple of friends.
the brakes that i mentioned are not car specific you can put them up on any car provided you have the clearance for those huge brakes.
no matter what a civic(rice burner) will be a civic(rice burner) no matter how much you trick it out. the supra is another story ( big fan) and on the other hand a ferrari and a porsche with be a ferrari and a porsche
Thats a lot of miles mate...

and about the civics...rice burners or not...there are heaps here which will put a Ferrari to shame...

FYI - i use 330mm crossdrilled Wilwood discs..with a 6 pot NISMO calipers(front and rear)....cheers!!
Old 12th July 2006, 18:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a lot of miles mate...

and about the civics...rice burners or not...there are heaps here which will put a Ferrari to shame...

FYI - i use 330mm crossdrilled Wilwood discs..with a 6 pot NISMO calipers(front and rear)....cheers!!
Nice ... PS love the wheels on yr car..... are those 2 cone intakes ... how bour lowering them to behind the bumper for more cold air and better performance or a heat sheild around them...

yup ... i put close to 185,000 miles in 3 yrs
Old 12th July 2006, 18:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Nice ... PS love the wheels on yr car..... are those 2 cone intakes ... how bour lowering them to behind the bumper for more cold air and better performance or a heat sheild around them...
no room mate...there is a GTR spec intercooler (as big as they get) behind the front bar...
Old 12th July 2006, 18:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
no room mate...there is a GTR spec intercooler (as big as they get) behind the front bar...
couldnt see but does it have a heat sheild around it ?
Old 12th July 2006, 18:59   #30
BHPian

NOW STICKING WITH THE TOPIC..

Feel free to paint your calipers without fear in whatever color you like mate!!!

If possible get the calipers out when it is time to change the pads....and get them powder coated...or simply spray paint it!! good luck!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks