Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 07:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi

Hi Abhinav,

This is a superb addition to the car . Wanted some info. regarding the same.I own a 1.8 TSi AT aswell and was interested in getting the paddle shifters installed.
Could you please advise me on the below mentioned queries :

1. Have you faced any problem after installation of the Paddle Shifters?
2. Do you know any guy in Pune who can install the same for me?
3. Were you able to find out if the warranty is affected?

Thanks

Artem
Old 9th March 2015, 13:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I would have preferred a Blue Stitching for obvious reasons however I am OK with the red also since that was the only one available.
Hey Abhinav, fantastic mod. I didn't see any options for choosing the colour of the stitching on the Vagtune website, but I did notice they had a flat-bottomed flappy panel version. Would be curious if this was an option available to you and, if so, why you rejected it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could probably sell off your original steering wheel for a handsome amount & bring down the upgrade cost.
Quote:
I doubt i will be able to do that considering the fact that even the ambition variant in the Octavia comes with Multi Function Steering Wheel. Still, any pointers or any takers you know of?
Given that this mod is a little on the steep side price-wise, did you have any luck on getting value for the original steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Could you please advise me on the below mentioned queries :

1. Have you faced any problem after installation of the Paddle Shifters?
2. Do you know any guy in Pune who can install the same for me?
3. Were you able to find out if the warranty is affected?

Thanks

Artem
Bumping Artem's queries, the answers to which will probably help many fellow BHP-ians make up their minds if they are still on the fence about this mod. Also, do you know of any reputable guys in Mumbai who can help with installation?

Thanks, mate, looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Hey Abhinav, fantastic mod. I didn't see any options for choosing the colour of the stitching on the Vagtune website, but I did notice they had a flat-bottomed flappy panel version. Would be curious if this was an option available to you and, if so, why you rejected it. Thanks.

Given that this mod is a little on the steep side price-wise, did you have any luck on getting value for the original steering wheel?
Hi Mate.

Sorry that i Haven't been very active off late. The Flat Bottom wasn't available at that time, however the same has been swapped now by Vag Tune. I now have the flat bottom flappy paddle steering

I did not even try selling the original one. I would probably reinstall it back while selling the car and give the steering away at whatever amount i can fetch then.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 9th March 2015 at 13:41.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hawkeye, are you interested in getting Paddle Shifters for your Octy? And the ones with blue stitching in particular? If so lets request VAGTUNE if they can supply two wheels with blue stitching and better still if they will give a discount if we order two

I have Blue Moodlighting inside my car and would definitely go in for the Steering Wheel if available in BLUE ! If I get the Red one, it's gonna start looking like a rainbow inside ! Haha
Old 9th March 2015, 14:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
The Flat Bottom wasn't available at that time, however the same has been swapped now by Vag Tune. I now have the flat bottom flappy paddle steering
Yeah, buddy, if you managed to get the flat-bottomed flappy-paddle version from Vag Tune in a swap, you definitely rule!

Quote:
I did not even try selling the original one. I would probably reinstall it back while selling the car and give the steering away at whatever amount i can fetch then.
Thanks, that makes quite a bit of sense!

Quote:
Hawkeye, are you interested in getting Paddle Shifters for your Octy? And the ones with blue stitching in particular? If so lets request VAGTUNE if they can supply two wheels with blue stitching and better still if they will give a discount if we order two
Hi Artem,

I got back to India the week before last after having spent 6 years overseas, and am in the market for a white Octy 1.8tsi Elegance. My daily drive used to be an Audi Q7, and I've opted to stay in the VAG family - honestly, the only two options I was considering were the Octy 1.8tsi and the Jetta 2.0tdi, but being a petrolhead who is partial to panoramic sunroofs, I was left with no choice

I unfortunately haven't booked the car as yet, but am already lining up the mods so that I can bring her up to spec ASAP. Also, please have a look at the flat-bottomed flappy-paddle steering wheel also listed on the Vag Tune site. I think I'd rather have this version over the one that Abhinav had originally ordered.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th March 2015 at 15:08. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:26   #36
BHPian

Mod team note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:

Hi Artem,

I got back to India the week before last after having spent 6 years overseas, and am in the market for a white Octy 1.8tsi Elegance. My daily drive used to be an Audi Q7, and I've opted to stay in the VAG family - honestly, the only two options I was considering were the Octy 1.8tsi and the Jetta 2.0tdi, but being a petrolhead who is partial to panoramic sunroofs, I was left with no choice

I unfortunately haven't booked the car as yet, but am already lining up the mods so that I can bring her up to spec ASAP. Also, please have a look at the flat-bottomed flappy-paddle steering wheel also listed on the Vag Tune site. I think I'd rather have this version over the one that Abhinav had originally ordered.
Dude welcome back to India

Exactly my point, if you are interested in getting the flappy paddles installed then we can get in touch with the VAGTune store directly. Unfortunately I am abroad right now and shall be getting back to India only by the end of the month.

I am in progress of writing a detailed Initial write up as well and shall post the link here as well once it is completed. Unfortunately I don't have any good quality pics with me right now so don't want to use the ones that I have right now. Once I get back shall do the same and upload em here. (Of the moodlights as well, and believe me they look awesome.)

It's just been about six months since I got delivery of my car and I am already in the process of getting mods done. Going to start with the RIMS first. Check this link, for the rims, it will give you a good idea of what you can do.
http://www.wolfrace.com/wheelsimulator/

Quote:
Hi Mate.

. The Flat Bottom wasn't available at that time, however the same has been swapped now by Vag Tune. I now have the flat bottom flappy paddle steering
Abhinav the Paddles installed on your car (referring to the pictures that you had initially posted) are the Flat Bottom ones if I am not mistaken.

If you now have the Flappy ones, could you please post some pics of the same. Would appreciate it.

Cheers

Artem

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th March 2015 at 15:58. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2015, 08:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
My Ownership Thread : Link
The Gorgeous Steering.
Attachment 1242537[/i][/b]
Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi-dsc_0564.jpg

Quote:
Dude welcome back to India
Quote:
Abhinav the Paddles installed on your car (referring to the pictures that you had initially posted) are the Flat Bottom ones if I am not mistaken.

If you now have the Flappy ones, could you please post some pics of the same. Would appreciate it.
@Artem: thanks, buddy, it feels good to be back in the motherland!

Also, if I'm not mistaken (and Abhinav please correct me if I got this wrong), the first replacement steering wheel (please see pic above) as well as the second replacement (please see pic below) both have flappy paddles (the difference is that the one that I had referred to as the flat-bottomed flappy-paddle steering wheel, and which apparently is now installed on Abhinav's ride, has a flatter bottom portion -- more details here).

Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi-vw00644_400x300.jpg

I'd be happy to be part of a group buy for the flat-bottomed version.
Old 10th March 2015, 08:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1348190

@Artem: thanks, buddy, it feels good to be back in the motherland!

Also, if I'm not mistaken (and Abhinav please correct me if I got this wrong), the first replacement steering wheel (please see pic above) as well as the second replacement (please see pic below) both have flappy paddles (the difference is that the one that I had referred to as the flat-bottomed flappy-paddle steering wheel, and which apparently is now installed on Abhinav's ride, has a flatter bottom portion -- more details here).

Attachment 1348191

I'd be happy to be part of a group buy for the flat-bottomed version.
Alright I guess I was wrong here ! I was under the impression FLAPPY PADDLES were the ones similar to the paddles provided in the Mercedez CLA Class. The huge ones.

I am not quite happy with the Paddles mounted on the Steering wheel (I feel this is going to be painful whilst turning) , thou I don't see any other option.

I would prefer going in for the Wheel if provided with Blue Stitching only dude. Like I mentioned am abroad currently and shall get in touch with VAGtune once I am back.

Cheers

Artem
Old 10th March 2015, 11:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I would prefer going in for the Wheel if provided with Blue Stitching only dude. Like I mentioned am abroad currently and shall get in touch with VAGtune once I am back.

Cheers

Artem
No problem, drop me a PM when you get back. Since these are imported, I'm sure Vag Tune will pass on any savings in international shipping costs plus offer some sort of discount for buying two instead of one (even though I'd like one with either white or grey stitching, and you'd prefer the one with blue stitching).

Safe travels!
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 05:17   #40
BHPian

Hi I have a small question.Can this flat bottom steering be installed on the Octavias 6speed diesel gearbox without any coding?
Old 11th May 2015, 23:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Very much yes. It is a straight plug and play. Requires no cutting / chipping of anything whatsoever.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 05:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
No problem, drop me a PM when you get back. Since these are imported, I'm sure Vag Tune will pass on any savings in international shipping costs plus offer some sort of discount for buying two instead of one (even though I'd like one with either white or grey stitching, and you'd prefer the one with blue stitching).

Safe travels!
Hawkeye, did you manage to get hold of the Steering wheel with Paddle shifters? if so please share the details.
Sorry for the late comeback to this topic, have been off teambhp for a while !!

Cheers

Artem
Old 10th August 2015, 07:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hawkeye, did you manage to get hold of the Steering wheel with Paddle shifters? if so please share the details.
Sorry for the late comeback to this topic, have been off teambhp for a while !!
Hi Artem, sorry for the delayed response, I too was away for a bit.

I did manage to get a hold of the flat-bottomed steering wheel with paddle shifters, just haven't gotten around to having it installed. I bought mine off cars-equipment.com. They seem to be honest, prompt, and generally a great bunch of guys to deal with. Case in point: I had overpaid, having wrongly been charged VAT on my order, and they were prompt in remitting a refund to my bank account. Delivery only took a few days (they use FedEx), and I wasn't even charged any customs duty.

Here's the link to the model I ordered: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...ering-wheel-3/

And here's a stock picture from their website:

Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi-screen-shot-20150810-7.45.47-am.png

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 10th August 2015 at 07:49. Reason: Including picture
Old 12th September 2015, 13:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I did manage to get a hold of the flat-bottomed steering wheel with paddle shifters, just haven't gotten around to having it installed. I bought mine off cars-equipment.com. They seem to be honest, prompt, and generally a great bunch of guys to deal with. Case in point: I had overpaid, having wrongly been charged VAT on my order, and they were prompt in remitting a refund to my bank account. Delivery only took a few days (they use FedEx), and I wasn't even charged any customs duty.
I've gotten the new (flappy-paddle, flat-bottomed) steering wheel installed at one of the Mumbai-based Skoda workshops. Installation was a breeze, didn't take even 10 minutes. As others have mentioned, this mod is 100% plug-and-play, retaining all the functionality of the original. The paddle shifters are so much fun!!

P.S. - if anyone in Mumbai needs help with installation, PM me (I can put you in touch with the Skoda mechanic who installed the steering wheel for me).
Old 23rd September 2015, 05:14   #45
BHPian

Hi Hawkeye, thanks for the update. Apologies for the delayed reply. I haven't been quite active on team-bhp off late. How much did you land up paying in total, to get delivery of the steering wheel at home? Any issues with the Customs Department?

Also would appreciate if you could click a few pictures and upload the same here.

Thanks a tonne,

Artem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks