Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 13:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Reducing the sound of a free-flow exhaust?

I think I came across a Fiesta 1.6S on this forum which has a Remus (?) end can which can be muted by inserting another piece. Please do have a check - if I remember, the price was given as 13K or so. I would rather have such a set up where you can insert / remove the extra piece for change in loudness.
Old 26th November 2014, 12:08   #17
BHPian

I have been using Raj hingorani FFE for my S10. The sound can be controlled if you insist it at the time when the FFE is being done. I had insisted on a mellow tone but down the line it turned out to be loud. I switched the end can with the normal one and its totally silent. The other option is building a larger resonator or by opening the tip of the end can and re filling it with glass wool which will definitely bring the sound down.
Attached Thumbnails
Reducing the sound of a free-flow exhaust?-end-can.jpg  

Nimish anthony is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 12:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
I have been using Raj hingorani FFE for my S10. The sound can be controlled if you insist it at the time when the FFE is being done. I had insisted on a mellow tone but down the line it turned out to be loud. I switched the end can with the normal one and its totally silent. The other option is building a larger resonator or by opening the tip of the end can and re filling it with glass wool which will definitely bring the sound down.
Any difference in power output while driving?
And is the set up now as silent as stock?
I am guessing the aftermarket headers and the middle muffler/resonator is present.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any difference in power output while driving?

And is the set up now as silent as stock?

I am guessing the aftermarket headers and the middle muffler/resonator is present.
1.I have felt a slight reduction in power when i opted for the stock end can.

2.on the stock end car the car feels as close to stock and is barely audible.

3.it is present but a larger resonator reduces sound. That was what i was told
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 15:17   #20
BHPian

Something related to FFE sound, so posting here.

I have installed free flow exhaust (and CAI) from Race Concepts Bangalore to my Ritz k12 engine. Its a 4x1 header. While things are fine in lower speeds, there is droning (sound is too loud to be inside the car specially in long drives) from 80kmph and above. Thought of checking here before go back to them again.

1. What all options do I have to remove this dronning sound?
2. In 3rd gear the tourqe reduced noticibly. In flat road its not much problem as I can keep the RPM towards higher side. Its multiplied when I drive in places with inclines. It just does not pull in 3rd gear. And problem is in those areas you cannot keep the car in high RPM. How to re-gain that 3rd gear torque?

Appreciate anyone give some ideas, informations about these two issues.

Thanks,
Dipayan
Old 5th May 2015, 17:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
End can needs changing to a lesser louder one or try adding more glass wool into it to cancel the sound.

Quote:
2. In 3rd gear the tourqe reduced noticibly. In flat road its not much problem as I can keep the RPM towards higher side. Its multiplied when I drive in places with inclines. It just does not pull in 3rd gear. And problem is in those areas you cannot keep the car in high RPM. How to re-gain that 3rd gear torque?
This seems to be due to the design of the header, your power band seems to have moved away totally on to the higher revs. Its noticeable in 3rd gear due to a combination of speeds that you use in 3rd gear, gearing etc.

You should be feeling this in 4th and 5th gear also? unless you tend to shift only at higher speed.
Old 5th May 2015, 17:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something related to FFE sound, so posting here.

I have installed free flow exhaust (and CAI) from Race Concepts Bangalore to my Ritz k12 engine. Its a 4x1 header. While things are fine in lower speeds, there is droning (sound is too loud to be inside the car specially in long drives) from 80kmph and above. Thought of checking here before go back to them again.

Appreciate anyone give some ideas, informations about these two issues.

Thanks,
Dipayan
I guess it is time for you to change the glasswool. A 4x1 header design seems odd to me especially for a weedy motor like the K12 ideally it ought to have been a 4x2x1 design. Did you feel a lack of torque from the beginning or is this only a recent issue?
Old 5th May 2015, 17:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
End can needs changing to a lesser louder one or try adding more glass wool into it to cancel the sound.

This seems to be due to the design of the header, your power band seems to have moved away totally on to the higher revs. Its noticeable in 3rd gear due to a combination of speeds that you use in 3rd gear, gearing etc.

You should be feeling this in 4th and 5th gear also? unless you tend to shift only at higher speed.
The feeling of low torque is only in 3rd gear. 1st 2nd is improved a lot than stock. 3 is reduced, 4 and 5 is slightly better or same as stock. to upshift to 3rd gear I need to rev till 2500+ minimum. others pull nice if I shift 2000-2500 RPM.

Any suggesting where to go for only end can other than race concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I guess it is time for you to change the glasswool. A 4x1 header design seems odd to me especially for a weedy motor like the K12 ideally it ought to have been a 4x2x1 design. Did you feel a lack of torque from the beginning or is this only a recent issue?
The lack of torque in 3rd gear is from beginning but as I spoke with race concept they said it would be like that only. Should I consult with someone else? Suggestion please?

I guess Joel is also in this forum, if he can shed some light.

Thanks for your help.
Old 6th May 2015, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The feeling of low torque is only in 3rd gear. 1st 2nd is improved a lot than stock. 3 is reduced, 4 and 5 is slightly better or same as stock. to upshift to 3rd gear I need to rev till 2500+ minimum. others pull nice if I shift 2000-2500 RPM.

Any suggesting where to go for only end can other than race concept?

The lack of torque in 3rd gear is from beginning but as I spoke with race concept they said it would be like that only. Should I consult with someone else? Suggestion please?

I guess Joel is also in this forum, if he can shed some light.

Thanks for your help.
To reduce drone, you can add another mid muffler if it doesn't have one already. 4x1 set ups are louder than 4x2x1 set ups.
The loss of torque is because of the 4x1 header and also if the diameter of the pipes are big. Normally for a car that doesn't see high revs always and is city used, a 4x2x1 set up is good since it retains the stock torque if not slightly less.
Adding to the low torque in third would be the gearing and VVT of the K12 engine.
My suggestion would be to let it be as is and enjoy the high revs and from what I know the K12 is a Rev happy engine anyway and the sound can be reduced through other ways.

Last edited by tharian : 6th May 2015 at 11:03.
Old 6th May 2015, 12:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

Does that mean there is a flat spot in the power band which is showing up with 3rd gear gearing ratio?
Old 6th May 2015, 14:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Does that mean there is a flat spot in the power band which is showing up with 3rd gear gearing ratio?
I haven't driven a K12 engined Suzuki extensively. I am guessing the third gear is tall which is why the owner feels loss of power starting from third.

If you look at torque graphs comparing 4x2x1 and 4x1 set ups, it shows the peak torque is gained later in the power band than the 4x2x1 and add to that bigger dia pipes, moves it further down the band.

These are my assumptions from what I have read and from what I have experienced from my car with a 4x2x1 with small dia header pipes. I have driven Joel's 4x1's on Vtecs and how it loves to be revv'd.

So I would leave it to him for the in depth technicalities on this case.
Old 10th May 2015, 11:41   #27
BHPian

@dipdawiz - The exhaust in your car is a 4x1 which is designed to have superb power delivery post 3500rpm. The gearing is a mismatch here. While 1 and 2 is spaced right, 3,4,5 seems to be out of the window. The stock exhaust is a log manifold with empahsis only on low-mid range torque. Engineers are forcing cars to breathe less and enhance only the low end driveability. In your case even the intake system has been revised by us with a proper cold air intake system which further makes the engine more peppy for top-revs.
What you are experiencing now is mainly the lack of torque that you feel from your stock exhaust system. Our 4x1 systems on all cars are designed to deliver better torque across the rev range in comparision to an equivalent 4x2x1 system. On an K12 engine, any exhaust sytem be it 4x1 or 4x2x1 will feel like the bottom end torque is lost since the stock is super restrictive and has tons of back pressure. A log manifold promotes exhaust gas reversion, hence this!
Regarding the "drooning?" sound, you might need a bit more muffling to keep sound under check. We have already a 2 stage muffling on your car, if needed we can add a bit more.
Old 12th May 2015, 23:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Regarding the "drooning?" sound, you might need a bit more muffling to keep sound under check. We have already a 2 stage muffling on your car, if needed we can add a bit more.
Well Thanks. Yes I can live with 3rd gear, its not that much of a problem. But that droning in high speeds needs to be fixed anyway, its so much that I am in distress. I thought mine was single stage muffler. I'll give you a call soon to fix a time to visit your workshop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks