Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2014, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Reducing the sound of a free-flow exhaust?

Hi All,

Good Morning and Good Evening wherever you are. I believe this topic may have been discussed multiple times over but the reason why I am posting is, I need immediate help with this.

I have a FFE for the OHC. It has a medium tone exhaust note. I need an aftermarket muted exhaust end can. While I have gone through many threads where people talk about muted exhausts, I am not really sure if the exhaust note is muted (stick design) for an FFE.

If i replace my end can for a muted option aftermarket exhaust (Remus/Magnaflow) will I be able to get the muted sound back? If not, is there any option to retain my headers but get a muted note by replacing the end can.

Also, it would be great if you could refer to me the dealers (Remus/Magnaflow) or custom exhaust systems in Bangalore. I had the FFE done by Raj. Travelling so far is risky with the current set up. Any other options.

Moderators: Please excuse me for opening a new thread.

Regards,
Ayyappan
Honda_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Reducing the sound of a free-flow exhaust?

Check out Varex. Australian, so a bit expensive here in India, but simply brilliant products.
I believe you can get them from Bombay.
Old 20th July 2014, 13:35   #3
BHPian

I had used a Remus for my Swift, a couple of years ago.
Muted, sound level below 90bd and a mature beat.

Not sure if a (stock) Remus is available for a City, if available, please get yourself one.
The exhaust note is pure bliss, without sounding aggressive!
Old 20th July 2014, 13:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hot tracks on Victoria Road, Bangalore deals with Remus and Magnaflow (full range). If you do the necessary research online you could ask them to source it for you. Got my Magnaflow from them.
Old 20th July 2014, 14:30   #5
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. But even with a ultra mild note, there is every possibility that I might get busted again. Hence, I am currently worried with my FFE set up, if i would ever be able to get a stock/muted note.

Shall do some ground work and then get back to you. Thanks so much until then.

Thanks,
Ayyappan
Old 21st July 2014, 09:54   #6
BHPian

Hello,

Is this in connection with the Bangalore police pulling cars over for loud exhausts?

If yes, don't you think the heat would die out in some time?

Regards,
BL
Old 21st July 2014, 10:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Power View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. But even with a ultra mild note, there is every possibility that I might get busted again. Hence, I am currently worried with my FFE set up, if i would ever be able to get a stock/muted note.

Shall do some ground work and then get back to you. Thanks so much until then.

Thanks,
Ayyappan
What type of FFE do you have installed currently? I really doubt if any aftermarket muffler can give you a total noise-less system, There will be some sound on revving.
Replacing the end-can with the stock muffler may reduce the sound a good amount, but it will mess up the power output since it is a mix and match.

Did you get caught by the cops for noise pollution?
Curious since my car has a FFE with possibly the lowest sound level below 2k rpm, but increases as the revs build.
Old 21st July 2014, 11:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know there hasn't been any crack downs on loud exhausts in Bangalore. I did read about it in the papers a few weeks back but haven't seen any serious checking anywhere.

Might want to re-consider altering your exhaust Ayyappan.
Old 21st July 2014, 14:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
......I need an aftermarket muted exhaust end can. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Check out Varex. Australian, so a bit expensive here in India, but simply brilliant products.
I believe you can get them from Bombay.
+1 to what IshaanIan has said. I have a Varex X-Force end-can on my SX4. Wonderful, to say the very least!! Has a very low muted sound, exactly the way I wanted it.
It is remote controlled - I can change it from a completely stock-sounding unit to one that has a low muted growl, on the fly. Power to the throttle valve that controls the sound comes off the 12V socket. Remote control is a key chain which has its own battery.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...fications.html

Last edited by Kaumad : 21st July 2014 at 14:26.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 17:15   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reducing the sound of a free-flow exhaust?

If you absolutely want stock sound, just get a stock muffler. Any exhaust shop should be able to build one for you....won't cost too much money either.

Yes, you can certainly retain the headers with a quieter muffler.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:30   #11
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, the crackdown on loud exhausts is quite heavy and unfortunately i got busted. My exhaust has a very mild note and needless to say, I have to get it fixed as i have an inspection pending. This does not attract a spot fine. Main reason why i shifted to FFE, was that my stock pipes got eaten up by rust. That itself had a funny sound and could affect the fuel efficiency. The pipes were too weak to be welded as they started cracking. Hence I have to revert to the stock sound at any cost. Even a very mild note would not help. :( I am not sure what to do. I have a month's time to act and my dad is following up as well.

Thanks,
Ayyappan
Old 4th August 2014, 13:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

To reduce the sound, a temporary solution is to pack additional glass wool in the muffler. It will work till the glass wool burns off. How fast it burns out depends on how much you use v-tec

To completely reduce the sound, then As GTO mentioned you need to replace end can with the stock one.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 23:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

HI, I would go with GTO's advice. Its what I did to quieten the exhaust note of my FFE. I found the sound of the new exhaust to be a bit too obnoxious for me and acceleration felt a bit flatter. After a bit of research online I replaced the aftermarket end can with the stock one, just modifying the connector to match the increased pipe diameter. Ikts much quieter now and the increase in back pressure has helped in improving the lower end.

In terms of noise if the FFE was 10 in noise and the stock was about 2 then this setup is around 5 on the scale
Old 6th September 2014, 20:08   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am back. Good News I need not have the car inspected. But I need to reduce the sound (in fact make it closer to stock) by retaining the FFE.

As GTO said, planning to discuss with Raj/Shabbir to help me with the requirement.

Any good aftermarket end cans which can give me the stock sound?
I believe both Remus and Magnaflow will still be muted. I am not sure if any aftermarket end can will be muted?

Thanks all for replying...

Can anyone PM me Shabbir's number please?

Regards,
Ayyappan
Old 7th September 2014, 11:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am back. Good News I need not have the car inspected. But I need to reduce the sound (in fact make it closer to stock) by retaining the FFE.

As GTO said, planning to discuss with Raj/Shabbir to help me with the requirement.

Any good aftermarket end cans which can give me the stock sound?
I believe both Remus and Magnaflow will still be muted. I am not sure if any aftermarket end can will be muted?

Thanks all for replying...

Can anyone PM me Shabbir's number please?

Regards,
Ayyappan
As I have already mentioned, please check out Varex
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks