Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe

So my new Swift undergoes some transformations under the hood - Bay6 Decat Downpipe, Code6 Remap with EGR delete, BMC panel filter.

Bay6 Decat Downpipe:
Stainless steel built by Bay6 in Bangalore. Well finished and well built. This was sent to me from Bangalore.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140703_183536.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140704_135144.jpg

But needed some slight modifications to get it installed on my Swift because the jig the downpipe was built on was for the older version of the Ritz 1.3 DDIS motor with a smaller oil cooler. Bay6 said they will build me a new downpipe foc when i visit them.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140704_140215.jpg

Installed after a few mods.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140704_144601.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140704_145758.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140704_172505.jpg

Remarks
1) Turbo lag has noticeably reduced.
2) There is a slightly audible turbowhine which i like.
3) Midrange pull is better, not by a huge margin but it shows.
4) RPM climb much quicker so acceleration is better.
PS: The car is still on stock map now.

Code6 Remap:
I have been thinking of getting a remap ever since i bought this car and Code6 and had decided that i would be going with a Code6 remap. Why code6? Anoop and Sajan are old members and are known guys and dieselheads. They frequently visit KL and its convenient to get any fine tuning/change done on the map. And those who have mapped their cars at Code6 have only good thing to say about their remaps.

So on a Saturday morning i land up at Cochin to get the remap done. Sajan asked me what kind of performance i would like Low end or High end. I asked for Low end map and we load that in first and we went for a drive. We returned and i asked for slightly more grunt at the low end and he gives me a Point & Shoot map! With this loaded in the car it was fun and the car behaved just like what the name suggests - Point & Shoot. Aim for a gap and stomp down on the pedal and the car shoots forward. It was fun but Sajan decided to refine it a little bit and we load the refined map in the car. Now in this map the grunt below 2K RPM was a little low but once the engine hits 2000RPM the car just shoots forward. The car keeps on pulling past 3000, 3500 and 4000RPM where the stock car loses torque once past 3000RPM and once past 3500RPM there was not much point in pushing forward. Post remap the performance is so good that i find 0 to 100 irrelevant, it reaches thre quickly. In our final map there is a slight dip when the needle is approaching 2000RPM, this is barely noticeable and i noticed this much later after i left cochin, i have conveyed this to Code6 and will get it sorted during their next visit to KL.

Soft EGR delete:
This was done as a part of the remap process. I have seen how dirty and clogged the intake manifold gets and wanted to avoid any maintenance or power loss issue related to EGR. So since Day 1 i have been driving with the EGR connector disconnected and with a CEL on the dash with no performance issues. So when i was getting the car remapped it was only natural to ask for a EGR delete remap. This was done as a part of the remap and the EGR stays shut.

EGR hard delete:
1) Blocking the port on the head that leads to the EGR valve.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140717_091150.jpg

2) Removing the EGR pipe from the inlet manifold and minimising the obstruction in the inlet passage.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140613_213913.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140617_202137.jpg

Once soft EGR delete is done doing the hardware mod is redundant, but i have decided to go ahead with both. Doing the second mod will be beneficial to airflow. Its not yet done yet.

BMC Panel filter:
Now this was supposed to happen on June 1st. I bought a BMC panel filter through my cousin in Bangalore and he brought it to Kerala but their dealer screwed it up and what was given as 1.3DDIS filter was actually for the Petrol. So my cousin took it back and exchanged it for the correct filter and brought it during his visit in July. Too bad i couldn't get the filter installed before the remap. As per Sajan the panel filter does make a difference in performance at the top end.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2014 at 12:40. Reason: Awesome. Just made a few things bold :)
Sankar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 09:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe

I see one major upgrade missing, I hope you do it. You have the power, but can you stop it when you need to ?
F150 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
So my new Swift undergoes some transformations under the hood - Bay6 Decat Downpipe, Code6 Remap with EGR delete, BMC panel filter.
Bay6 Decat Downpipe:
Stainless steel built by Bay6 in Bangalore. Well finished and well built. This was sent to me from Bangalore.
Hi Sankar,
The quality of the downpipe looks very very good
Could you share more details about Bay6 ( like URL, contacts, address ) ?
Could you also share the approximate cost of the stainless-steel down-pipe ?
I'm looking to have stainless-steel headers & a custom intake fabricated, among other things, for my Alto.
Does Bay6 handle fabrication alone, or installs too ?

Last edited by im_srini : 24th July 2014 at 12:59.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 15:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You can google for it. Bay6 is listed on google maps.

http://www.code6.in/
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 15:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Missed a few details!!
  • The car is now running 19PSI boost. Stock is around 17.5 for the new Swift.
  • The stainless steel EGR blank plate was made by chirag_bir, i gave him the sample gasket and he cut it to perfection using water jet
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140724_151711.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140724_151718.jpg

To straighten the plumbing after the intercooler got a small mod done later. Replaced the stock IC pipe with a straight pipe that goes across the engine. The bends on stock pipe are not mandrel bend instead they're press bent. Straight pipe get rid of some of those.
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140719_181218.jpg
Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe-20140719_185222.jpg
Whats the -ve? Looks bad and can't use the cover anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Sankar,
The quality of the downpipe looks very very good
Could you share more details about Bay6 ( like URL, contacts, address ) ?
Could you also share the approximate cost of the stainless-steel down-pipe ?
I'm looking to have stainless-steel headers & a custom intake fabricated, among other things, for my Alto.
Does Bay6 handle fabrication alone, or installs too ?
They are more into turbo diesel tuning, not sure if they make headers for petrol cars. You can contact them for more details at info@code6.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I see one major upgrade missing, I hope you do it. You have the power, but can you stop it when you need to ?
Big brake upgrade coming soon. I have identified all the parts i need for the job.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th July 2014 at 15:23.
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 23:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Basic concept is clear that we need to avoid bends. What is the advantage of this mod ?

Eagerly waiting for the details on brake upgrade
Old 25th July 2014, 10:39   #7
BHPian

I would not recommend an EGR deletion. No matter how big an enthusiast one is, he or she should never stop caring for the environment. EGR is essential for NOx removal, and as you may well be knowing NOX is extremely harmful for humans.

Plus, how is your car passing the PUC test without an EGR? Is it still under the limit?
Pollution requirements for India are so low, it is a pity

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 25th July 2014 at 10:48.
prakhar1998 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post

Plus, how is your car passing the PUC test without an EGR? Is it still under the limit?
The pollution testing centres are more than capable of fudging values to adhere to the limit. I have seen them pull the testing probe outside the exhaust to lower the value.

As for the EGR delete, lets not loose the forest for the trees.

I as a consumer have adjusted and made compromises in so many spheres in life for the betterment of the environment, atleast let me completely relish the fruits of a single selfish labour.

I know that does not condone my actions, so will I be labelled a symptom of everything wrong with this selfish world, but air+petrol mix is always thicker than atmospheric air

(Meaning I will always be a petrohead)

No offense meant, none taken. Peace
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 14:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I would not recommend an EGR deletion. No matter how big an enthusiast one is, he or she should never stop caring for the environment. EGR is essential for NOx removal, and as you may well be knowing NOX is extremely harmful for humans.

My understanding of EGR is as follows. It may not be entirely right.

What aids formation of NOX?
High combustion temperature.
When does high combustion temperature occur?
When engine is under load and more diesel is burnt to create more power. More diesel = more combustion temperature = more EGT.
Is EGR active when engine is under load and combustion temperature is at its peak?
No ECU closes the EGR valve to help the engine make most power. EGR is closed.
So when is EGR active/open letting exhaust into cylinders?
During cruising, and part throttle scenarios.
Is combustion temperature high during cruising and part throttle driving?
I doubt. Because unlike in Petrol engines excess air doesn't create high temps. Excess fuel does, and fueling is not high when cruising around.

In India and even in UK there is no NOX testing for diesels in the current emission standards. So the vehicles do pass emissions testing with EGR and even cat delete.

If my car fail to pass the emissions testing in any pollution testing center, which i highly doubt, i will put the cat back on and enable the EGR.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th July 2014 at 14:47.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sankar,congrats on your mod. I have just done a Remap on my Micra from Petes cochin. They had come to TVM and did this job for me. They call it the Eco boost map. Amazing results both in power and economy. They have promised to do a performance map next month. Waiting for that to happen.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Anoop did the remap for my Tucson as well and it has been wonderful to drive ever since. I learned from Anoop how a remap can unlock the "reserve" potential of an engine. And one thing I really appreciate about him is that he was very clear that engines are built with some safety margin that ensures the longevity of the engine and remap actually takes some of it away, there are no two ways about that.

Good to see that Anoop and Sajan have come up with another fantastic remap for the Swift (from what you describe). The only thing I don't like at all in this case is the removal of cat con and EGR. Whether you can get PUC certificate or not is not the point at all, the point is you are polluting way more than before.

In my case, we only did the remap and I was very particular about minimizing the black smoke, and Anoop did a great job with tuning the map such that it does not smoke any more than the stock map. Kudos to him for that.

Grace lies in generating more performance from the same engine without causing more harm to the environment. And Anoop is one of the most graceful tuning experts out there.

Come on Anoop, you are so good at this, you don't need to do a decat or EGR bypass. That's for those who don't know how to remap

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2014, 12:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Sankar,congrats on your mod. I have just done a Remap on my Micra from Petes cochin. They had come to TVM and did this job for me. They call it the Eco boost map. Amazing results both in power and economy. They have promised to do a performance map next month. Waiting for that to happen.
Thanks Ram. Do tell more about the remap and the car. I haven't driven the K9K engine before, so don't have much idea about it. How does it perform now post remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Come on Anoop, you are so good at this, you don't need to do a decat or EGR bypass. That's for those who don't know how to remap

Cheers!
Thats just the next level. There's a limit to what can be done with the CAT and EGR in place before the EGT shoots up.

He told me that some are very particular about smoke so they work on reducing it in most of their tunes.

Generally in Diesels for high power tunes smoke is inevitable. I had a 1.4 Swift before and a regular remap on the 1.3MJD didn't excite me much. My car doesn't smoke as much as i expected anyways.

Soot buildup in the intake is a problem in the 1.3MJD even in its stock form especially in cars that don't see too much WOT action and spends time in traffic. Not to mention the clogging up of the cat, intake manifold and EGR valve when the soot levels are high in a high power tune.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st July 2014 at 12:33.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Soot buildup in the intake is a problem in the 1.3MJD even in its stock form especially in cars that don't see too much WOT action and spends time in traffic. Not to mention the clogging up of the cat, intake manifold and EGR valve when the soot levels are high in a high power tune.
Why do you say that this a problem that has to be fixed?

The swift diesels that I have been observing in my circle have been running fine for over a lakh of kms or so. May be the engine is designed to have soot in the intake.

By removing EGR valve and cat con, you are pushing that soot out in the atmosphere (instead of having it filtered inside the cat con or redirecting some of it back in combustion chamber - which is the intended design).
Old 31st July 2014, 13:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Why do you say that this a problem that has to be fixed?

The swift diesels that I have been observing in my circle have been running fine for over a lakh of kms or so. May be the engine is designed to have soot in the intake.

By removing EGR valve and cat con, you are pushing that soot out in the atmosphere (instead of having it filtered inside the cat con or redirecting some of it back in combustion chamber - which is the intended design).
Because it is a problem that needs periodic fixing and i prefer to have it fixed this way.

And we do change parameters affecting intended design when we remap isn't it?

Last edited by Sankar : 31st July 2014 at 13:20.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Stock multijet engine does not need any periodic fixing related to soot. If it's a problem caused due to remap (say by the excessive fueling), then that's not a very good remap.

IMO, a remap should not have to change the design, it should just exploit the engineering limits/tolerances.

Most Viewed