Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 11:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Relocating the rear seatbelts for more comfort?

My problem is quite simple.

The wife, although being petite, finds the rear seat belt fairly constrictive - especially when the little one is in her lap or jumping around.

This happens because the rear seat belts in the swift are less roomy than the front seat belts.

Is there any simple way (my limited Tamil skills didn't help with MSM) I can relocate the seat belt to make her more comfortable? We are anyways a family of three, so we don't need the rear seat to seat three folks.

Mods: If there is an existing thread, please merge this post with that. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2014, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Relocating the rear seatbelts for more comfort?

Not sure it will work - but can you try switching the socket of the first seat belt with the middle one? It will give you more width, but I am not sure about the safety aspects of this mod, if done.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 13:31   #3
BHPian

re: Relocating the rear seatbelts for more comfort?

The seat belt would end up going a bit higher over the body in case the middle buckle is used, as long the occupant doesn't slide out underneath the belt I think its fine.
batterylow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 16:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Relocating the rear seatbelts for more comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The wife, although being petite, finds the rear seat belt fairly constrictive - especially when the little one is in her lap or jumping around.

Hate to say this, but the little one should not be in her lap or jumping around. The preferred way would be to have him/her in a separate child seat, safely strapped in.

The one thing I know about seatbelts is that they need to be fitted/mounted to the appriote anchor points as designated by the car manufacturer. As your car has seatbelt fitted, I doubt there are other anchor points available. Drilling/tapping new holes for different anchor points will do two things. It's very likely to be less safe for your wife and if you drill into the wrong bits you might actually be comprising the safety construction of your car.

So I would strongly advise you not to mess with the original seatbelts. If they are uncomfortable try and find seatbelt adjuster to make it more comfortable;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betterware-S.../dp/B00CMAZ1X2

Not sure if this would help, as I understand you would to have some more room. Not sure if you have fixed belts or you have the self winding variety? If you have fixed belts in some cars its possible to install the self winding kind. They would simply attach to the original anchor points.

Good luck and be very carefull with you little one!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 17:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is this while driving very short distances thru heavy city traffic?

Because I cannot imagine any other situation where you have an empty child seat and the kid not strapped in.
Old 8th October 2014, 17:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Not sure it will work - but can you try switching the socket of the first seat belt with the middle one? It will give you more width, but I am not sure about the safety aspects of this mod, if done.

--Anoop
That will be too wide. We use it occasionally and it just doesn't "feel" right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The seat belt would end up going a bit higher over the body in case the middle buckle is used, as long the occupant doesn't slide out underneath the belt I think its fine.
Yes, but its not quite comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Hate to say this, but the little one should not be in her lap or jumping around. The preferred way would be to have him/her in a separate child seat, safely strapped in.
We use a carseat since day one. Now, he sits only in it, when with me. When his mother is there, he is 50% of the time around her, 50% of the time strapped in using the adult seat belt in the rear seat.

Quote:
The one thing I know about seatbelts is that they need to be fitted/mounted to the appriote anchor points as designated by the car manufacturer. As your car has seatbelt fitted, I doubt there are other anchor points available. Drilling/tapping new holes for different anchor points will do two things. It's very likely to be less safe for your wife and if you drill into the wrong bits you might actually be comprising the safety construction of your car.
This is interesting. I was thinking that one/two extra holes would not really impact the body shell much.
Do note that it would be far safer than her not using the seat belt half of the time, right?

Quote:
So I would strongly advise you not to mess with the original seatbelts. If they are uncomfortable try and find seatbelt adjuster to make it more comfortable;
This is nice - thanks. However, this addresses the concern of seat belt coming up to the neck. Her concern is more room overall!

Quote:
Not sure if this would help, as I understand you would to have some more room. Not sure if you have fixed belts or you have the self winding variety? If you have fixed belts in some cars its possible to install the self winding kind. They would simply attach to the original anchor points.
Our swift has the self-winding ones!

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2014 at 15:06. Reason: No inline replies please :). Correcting quote. Thanks!
Old 8th October 2014, 18:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Let me understand this. Both mother and child are strapped in using the same seat belt?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat...4875.bc?page=4

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2014 at 20:10.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 02:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Relocation of seat belts is not possible. From what can visualise, the belt must be hurting your wife as it goes across her neck rather than over her shoulder. This is due to the short stature in general and is a common problem. I have tried various things to alleviate the issue and the best solution is to use seat belt pads. Made out of soft velour they can be used either to position the belt in a comfortable position or simply against ones neck to keep it being chaffed from the seat belt rubbing against it. These are easily available at all accessory shops but the better ones are to be found at the Honda dealerships at the accessory counters within their showrooms at approx. 225 e.a.

IIRC from another thread, you do have a child seat. Is that not being used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

This happens because the rear seat belts in the swift are less roomy than the front seat belts.

Is there any simple way (my limited Tamil skills didn't help with MSM) I can relocate the seat belt to make her more comfortable? We are anyways a family of three, so we don't need the rear seat to seat three folks.

Mods: If there is an existing thread, please merge this post with that. Thanks.

The lap belt and the three point seat belts have differently shaped hooks and receptacles and cannot be interchanged. The hooks will either not go in or simply not latch in the wrong receptacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

--Anoop

Most Viewed