Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 09:26   #1
BHPian

Honda Brio Automatic Transmission - Software mod for 'Sports' mode?

I believe that the Brio AT comes with the same transmission used in the previous gen City. If I am not mistaken, the City had a regular D mode, Sports mode and tiptronic mode.

My question is: Would it be possible to reprogram Brio's transmission s/w to overwrite D mode with Sports mode setting? If so, any recommendation on who would can get it done in Bangalore?

I believe this would stop the car from constantly up-shifting for no good reason and allow me to build up some revs.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 18th October 2014 at 09:29.
Old 18th October 2014, 09:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Brio Automatic Transmission - Software mod for 'Sports' mode?

Even if you get D mode reprogrammed as S mode, you would waste so much extra fuel every day and there would be so much extra strain on the Engine due to unnecessarily holding lower gears.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Even if you get D mode reprogrammed as S mode, you would waste so much extra fuel every day and there would be so much extra strain on the Engine due to unnecessarily holding lower gears.
Well, most of the time, I have to drive switching from D3 or 2. So, I don't think getting it reprogrammed to S mode would change fuel economy or engine strain drastically
Old 18th October 2014, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman has a point though. With S mode the gears are made to hold longer and this could affect the fuel economy in a traffic or slow moving run in the city. Especially when you are looking for that shift between 2nd to 3rd gear.

Maybe Red Rooster could help? I went to them with my CRV automatic and they suggested not to mess with the gearbox. The CRV is slightly inactive between 2000-3000 RPM and I wanted some improvement in that power band range. They could be willing to try out the Brio.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 15:54   #5
BANNED

One big plus of the D3 mode is a major reduction in the response lag.
Old 18th October 2014, 16:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio Automatic Transmission - Software mod for 'Sports' mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Well, most of the time, I have to drive switching from D3 or 2. So, I don't think getting it reprogrammed to S mode would change fuel economy or engine strain drastically
It would, Anshuman is spot on.

Even when driving easy in the city, 'S' mode (if at all possible with the Brio) would hold on to gears for longer, unnecessarily wasting revvs when it shouldn't be. Say, in a regular driving situation where D would've moved to 2nd, S would keep the tranny in 1st. This would increase your fuel consumption too.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even when driving easy in the city, 'S' mode (if at all possible with the Brio) would hold on to gears for longer, unnecessarily wasting revvs when it shouldn't be. Say, in a regular driving situation where D would've moved to 2nd, S would keep the tranny in 1st. This would increase your fuel consumption too.
I could just use D3 in the city and switch to S mode on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Maybe Red Rooster could help? They could be willing to try out the Brio.
I spoke to Red Rooster and they recommended some sorta performance mod package (air intake+fuel pressure regulator+exhaust mod), which seemed a little too complicated & expensive for very little performance gain. However, he was honest to mention that the transmission lag is anyways going to be there.

IMHO, more than the lack of power, the problem in the Brio AT is how and when the available power is delivered.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I spoke to Red Rooster and they recommended some sorta performance mod package (air intake+fuel pressure regulator+exhaust mod), which seemed a little too complicated & expensive for very little performance gain. However, he was honest to mention that the transmission lag is anyways going to be there.

IMHO, more than the lack of power, the problem in the Brio AT is how and when the available power is delivered.
Pretty much the same reply I got from RRP as well. Who did you speak to? The problem is the gearbox itself I reckon. Honda need to desperately upgrade the slushbox on all their vehicles. Its a very reliable unit, havent read of any problems on any forums worldwide but its just way too dead for what the competition give today (Skoda's DSG for example).

You could take the mod package recommended by RRP and maybe there could be a slight improvement. Ive got the BMC air filter and a magnaflow exhaust, it has slightly improved but is still a dud between 2000-3000RPM on the downshift and back into acceleration. Once past 3000 RPM its a different animal though.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 23:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The problem is the gearbox itself I reckon. Honda need to desperately upgrade the slushbox on all their vehicles. Its a very reliable unit, havent read of any problems on any forums worldwide but its just way too dead for what the competition give today (Skoda's DSG for example).
I agree that the outdated gearbox is the culprit. However, DSG horror stories on the forum and VW's attitude is what swayed me in favour of the Brio instead of the Polo TSI.

I am not going to do any other complicated mods as of now, except for the S-mode hack. I beleive that this mod will keep me happy for a while.

Most Viewed