Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 22:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Got any ideas on teh below guys...

What type I have to buy for Ford Ikon Flair 1.3L? And where in Bangalore can I get this and what is its cost? Where can it be installed?
Old 16th March 2008, 22:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Can anyone suggest a good place in Bangalore to buy a K&N stock replacement filter?

Nirmal
Ozz one - Indirangar
Evo-Cambridge layout (blueraven316)
Hot-tracks
Old 17th March 2008, 10:58   #48

It is apparent that all filters put into your precious cars is the RIGHT one. DO NOT ever put in an open cone filter if it is not listed for your engine type. Every car engine is designed to work optimally with the right amount of air/fuel ratio to give the best overall performance. Sucking in too much air (more than the engine can cope) will cause the engine to KNOCK severly and lead to internal damage.

An open cone may sound cool but the real damage is being done inside the block.

I am surprised no one has heard of BMC airfilters. They make panel filters for literally every car on the planet. Single piece and non-oiled (heard too many stories about K&N oil sucked into the intake). They also make a CDA (enclosed cone) induction kit which is for racing applications.

BMC is used by 90% of the formula 1 teams so the amount of R&D into each filter is immense.

Check out AIR FILTERS BMC | AIR FILTER | CAR | MOTORCYCLE | bike - racing - venturi admission system - carbon dynamic airbox - EAC (www.evolve.ae) based in Dubai are the dealers for this and can ship out doorstep to anywhere in India.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:33   #49
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
It is apparent that all filters put into your precious cars is the RIGHT one. DO NOT ever put in an open cone filter if it is not listed for your engine type. Every car engine is designed to work optimally with the right amount of air/fuel ratio to give the best overall performance. Sucking in too much air (more than the engine can cope) will cause the engine to KNOCK severly and lead to internal damage.

An open cone may sound cool but the real damage is being done inside the block.

I am surprised no one has heard of BMC airfilters. They make panel filters for literally every car on the planet. Single piece and non-oiled (heard too many stories about K&N oil sucked into the intake). They also make a CDA (enclosed cone) induction kit which is for racing applications.

BMC is used by 90% of the formula 1 teams so the amount of R&D into each filter is immense.

Check out AIR FILTERS BMC | AIR FILTER | CAR | MOTORCYCLE | bike - racing - venturi admission system - carbon dynamic airbox - EAC (www.evolve.ae) based in Dubai are the dealers for this and can ship out doorstep to anywhere in India.

Most if not all cars have enough compensation in the ecu/fuel system to take care of the difference in air coming in through a cone filter. There is nothing wrong with running them. The car will not knock/detonate from the change of an air filter.

The stories about K&N are just that, "stories". The only time something like that may happen is when a user cleans it then loads it up with too much K&N fluid. That would be user error, not a K&N issue.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Ozz one - Indirangar
Evo-Cambridge layout (blueraven316)
Hot-tracks
Thanks Binz. Got it from RAC, Koramangala today. Costed 4490.00

Nirmal
Old 17th March 2008, 22:59   #51
BHPian

I have a question on K&N Filters. If I install these in mumbai like conditions where it rains heavily then what would happen to the filter. Will it suck in rain water in the engine thereby siezing it.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 17th March 2008, 23:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Binz. Got it from RAC, Koramangala today. Costed 4490.00

Nirmal
Congrats!Do post a review.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:10   #53
BHPian

it's a waste of money

I'm using the performance filter from K&N on my Lancer diesel. I used the same air intake pipes as in the stock to reduce the sound.Can anyone tell me ,whether I'm losing any power due to this.To be honest i can't find any improvement in power or FE, but i do feel a slight increase in power around 3000 rpm. But i doubt that it may be due to the increase in sound when the engine reaches it's maximum torque.
Old 18th March 2008, 04:53   #54
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I have a question on K&N Filters. If I install these in mumbai like conditions where it rains heavily then what would happen to the filter. Will it suck in rain water in the engine thereby siezing it.

Regards,
Kailash
The only way it will suck in water is if you submerge it in water, or if you have it placed in a spot which will get water splashing on it. In the second scenario, it shouldn't seize it, but probably not the best condition to be in.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Congrats!Do post a review.
I went for the stock replacement filter. Can definitely make out the increase in power. The sluggishness at lower RPM in Aveo has come down. I advise K&N to all Aveo users.

Between that, please advise a good place on the car to put the K&N sticker

Nirmal
Old 18th March 2008, 20:47   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Between that, please advise a good place on the car to put the K&N sticker

Nirmal

most people put it on the back just around the cars badging. i personally dont like to put any of these stickers outside. when you beat someone he should just be guessing what you have under the hood.
Old 18th March 2008, 21:28   #57
BHPian

for maximum gains in power u should have a proper aluminum pipe installed, just installing a performance filter on the existing rubber pipe will not make as much difference
Old 19th March 2008, 16:49   #58
BHPian

can someone pls point me towards any professional K & N installer in chandigarh, btw the car is a palio 1.9 D, suggestions, comments welcome.....
Old 19th March 2008, 19:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
for maximum gains in power u should have a proper aluminum pipe installed, just installing a performance filter on the existing rubber pipe will not make as much difference
What would the difference an alluminium or rubber pipe make?
Old 19th March 2008, 22:35   #60
BHPian

the alluminium pipe like the one used here
K&N Cold Air Intakes - World Leader in Performance Air Intake Technology . can also be made locally ,but make sure there arent too many bends and the pipe is larger in diameter than the throttle body.
The advantage of using a alluminium pipe is the air will flow more freely as the rubber pipes are smaller in diameter and have too many bends

Most Viewed