Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2006, 11:13   #1
BHPian

The truth about K & N Filters

I was searching for performancefltes K&N on their website, and could not find any except for the stock replacement for the baleno 1.6l, so i wrote to K&N and got apeply where they say we can put only filters recomended in their application guide, and CANNOT alter any other filter for our use, . So anyone intrested in the filters go through their application guide and then chose the filter, do not get carried away by the dealer/distributor

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.knfilters.com/products_needed/default.aspx[/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited by s.prashanth : 4th August 2006 at 11:16.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:24   #2
BANNED

I am rather surprised that you did'nt come across this filter called PIPER CROSS?
http://www.pipercross.net/
Old 4th August 2006, 11:46   #3
BANNED

Also check out pjspeedshop.com for Ractive filters. I'm using one in my Optra, it's pretty good and much cheaper than K&N to boot.
Old 4th August 2006, 12:34   #4
BHPian

guys what I am saying is K&N application guide is to be followed for fitment, just putting extreme filter or performance filter from them only changes our financia position and not BHP as claimed by the dealer, this is my point.

I am writing this as one of the dealers in Bangalore convinced me for a extreme filter 9I have no idea what he meant)but on cross checking and sending a mail to K&N I found out the truth, also I have seen members talking about filter installs in their cars.

According to their exhaustive application guide, the indian cars qualify only for the stock repalcement filters and none otherl
Old 4th August 2006, 13:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Also check out pjspeedshop.com for Ractive filters. I'm using one in my Optra, it's pretty good and much cheaper than K&N to boot.
Or even a Proton Katharos filter that can be custom made. Cheaper option and gives decent performance as well. No filter is the end of performance mods. Its just one of the accessories that help better performance.

K&N has good publicity in the market and hence everyone is behind it. I know several people who use Ractive thats cost about 1000Rs and gives comparable performance to K&N.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 4th August 2006 at 13:26.
Old 4th August 2006, 20:09   #6
BHPian

personally i recomend sard filters
Old 5th August 2006, 10:49   #7
BHPian

Nobody seems to be understanding, I am not wanting suggestions on brand of filters or their price, what i am saying is none of the K&N extreme power or hi performance filters are made for the cars we drive
Old 5th August 2006, 11:49   #8
BANNED

Yes they are. It takes 20 mins to fabricate a metal pipe and then 2 mins to install.

You just need to go to the right guy, otherwise they could place it wrong and actually decrease your performance.
Old 5th August 2006, 15:44   #9
BHPian

Prashanth, i think one of the reasons K&N will say something like that is to minimize their liability. A lot of the filter replacement jobs that are done aren't professional and risk damaging the engine (since the filter does play a vital part in protecting the engine).

No doubt some of the extreme filters (conical and what-not) improve the breathing of the engine and translate into slight power gains, but they usually do that at added risk (dust and water will get into the engine easier through these filters).

Its for this same reason that a car's warranty gets voided whenever an aftermarket filter is inserted.

Of course one could ask why somebody would go through all the trouble of a new filter and piping (and possibly vents in the bonnet etc) for a tiny and barely noticable performance improvement. However if one is going in for the whole deal (free flow, polishing of heads, ports, changing camshafts, etc etc) then a K&N performance filter (or whatever other brand is suitable) would be a vital part of the upgrade.
theEnd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2006, 18:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
I am rather surprised that you did'nt come across this filter called PIPER CROSS?
http://www.pipercross.net/

MY FIRST CONE!!!!!!!

Their foam range is perfect for our conditions....much better than gauze filters...

BUY A GOOD SILICON HOSE....AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO.....

I STILL HAVE MINE.....WANNA BUY IT...PERFECT FOR A 1.5L...

its in Bombay...

Good find MATE!!!! ENJOYING IGGY LAND??????

Last edited by R32_GTR : 5th August 2006 at 18:13.
Old 5th August 2006, 21:57   #11
BHPian

I just got a K&N for my Zen.. I had never heard of Ractive or PK or any of these other brands mentioned here! I think I might want to try Ractive for my Esteem. Where can I get it?

- Aalaap
Old 6th August 2006, 07:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have driven 2 cars, Palio 1.2 and a LAncer petrol; both with extreme filter, but later one had better plumbing works and hence rocked. wow!
Old 6th August 2006, 09:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap
I just got a K&N for my Zen.. I had never heard of Ractive or PK or any of these other brands mentioned here! I think I might want to try Ractive for my Esteem. Where can I get it?

- Aalaap
you can source the RACTIVE from PJSpeedShop [http://pjspeedshop.com/Filters.htm]. Try calling him up at

PHONE No. : 91 - 44 - 27472894
MOBILE No. : 91 - 9884121584

he can courer it you.
Old 6th August 2006, 23:24   #14
BHPian

hey prashant, yes what you say is true, k&n has not done a lot of research on indian cars and hence may not be able to recomend any performance filters for the cars. what you need to go buy is the rate of flow and closest engine size and you can get some decent performance increase. the indian dealers have done this research for you and hence are able to recomend what suits your car best.

OT, did you actually meet the big guy or is it a PS job?
Old 9th August 2006, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
planning to fit ractive on my Santro. I have already mailed PJ about this. But does anyone know anyone in HYD who can install this on my Santro.
I was initially thinking of fixing it myself. But i understand that the filter suppliers just sell the filters not the associated plumbing pipes. Where do i get that done? does it be done by Hyundai service fellas??
I also learn that the filter should be placed in cool clean place under the bonnet. so depending on the make and model of the car, there has to be lot of pipe bending etc involved. kindly enlighten me..
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks