Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 13:59   #1
BHPian

Cheap Alternative to Claying!

When I got my Ertiga, in the heat of the moment and excitement I spent quite a decent amount on detailing products. I read everything about detailing from all available sources especially information related to cleaning and waxing. Invariably one of the steps involved was claying which I found intriguing. Firstly, the costs were exorbitant and secondly, the clay bar if dropped, is as good as gone. I was not prepared mentally to risk that much amount when I was not sure If I could do a perfect job of it.

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to claying when I came across this thread which was like a god send for me.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/mobile-...heapo-clay-bar

So I went around the market and brought this. Its called glass putty or "lambi" in Marathi. Its dirt cheap

I washed the car cleanly with shampoo and just before it was completely dry, took a large dollop of this putty in my hand and started using it on the bonnet first. But it soon became dry and the putty began to stuck to the car. But I used some more water and after 3-4 passes, it began to glide easily! The idea is to keep rotating it and add water slowly while doing so.

I did this for 10 minutes and again washed the bonnet. Though I couldn't find anything embedded to it, I guess that's because the car is new. After this, the surface has become very smooth to touch and I am loving it!

I couldn't complete the entire car but I am emboldened by the experience and will do so in the near future.

Before that I seek your opinions and the possible damage, if any, this could do to the car surface.

Thanks

PS: Sorry guys I couldn't click photos of the job done as I couldn't have hold the camera with very messy hands!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Alternative to Claying!-detailing.jpg  

Last edited by CoolCarNi : 5th November 2014 at 14:01. Reason: post script added
CoolCarNi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap Alternative to Claying!

Hats off for bravery! Unless I am wrong, you have used 'wall putty' which is mostly cement based. (remember the ad 'Birla Wall Putty'?) Glass putty is not lambi. I remember this lambi is used for wall finishing before painting, to make the wall smooth.

I am no contractor though, so if your lambi is indeed glass putty, then congrats!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:44   #3
BHPian

This is indeed glass putty or " kach lambi" ( as per the photo) which if translated also means glass putty. This is used as a sealing adhesive to fix glass panes into windows.

All said and done, I tried this a fortnight back and there is no damage to the car surface because of this. Keeping my fingers crossed!
CoolCarNi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
This is indeed glass putty or " kach lambi" ( as per the photo) which if translated also means glass putty. This is used as a sealing adhesive to fix glass panes into windows
OT:

Is this available in all hardware stores, or will I need to go to Raviwar Peth/Bohri Ali for this? Need some long lasting stuff to plug gaps between a wall and door skirting.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
OT:

Is this available in all hardware stores, or will I need to go to Raviwar Peth/Bohri Ali for this? Need some long lasting stuff to plug gaps between a wall and door skirting.

Cheers,
Vikram
It's available with all glass stores. Try any shop opposite Seven Loves Hotel on SS Road.
CoolCarNi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 16:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is good to hear. I am encouraging the detailing guys to look at this.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 18:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
This is good to hear. I am encouraging the detailing guys to look at this.
I am volunteering to test this out on my car...proper test against the elastrofoam and Bilt Hamber clay that we use otherwise.
After this a spray of IronX will show if it actually pulls out contaminants or just 'polishes' them.
torquecurve is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I am volunteering to test this out on my car...proper test against the elastrofoam and Bilt Hamber clay that we use otherwise.
After this a spray of IronX will show if it actually pulls out contaminants or just 'polishes' them.
IRON X after Clay will result in bleeding if there was iron contaminants on the paint surface before claying. This is because, clay cannot pull out all the contaminants out and for those hard embedded contaminants it will just shave off the part of the contaminant on top of clear coat leaving the root behind.

That is why IRON X is recommended before claying as due to its chelating action, it removes the iron fall out from the roots and later claying will remove the residue left behind if any
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
IRON X after Clay will result in bleeding if there was iron contaminants on the paint surface before claying. This is because, clay cannot pull out all the contaminants out and for those hard embedded contaminants it will just shave off the part of the contaminant on top of clear coat leaving the root behind.

That is why IRON X is recommended before claying as due to its chelating action, it removes the iron fall out from the roots and later claying will remove the residue left behind if any
Of Course!
Just want to test how effectively it will compare to the 'Glass Putty'. To do this it is important to clay test sections and then use iron X to see what percentage of contamination has been removed.
I am not recommending it as a course of action for paint correction mate.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks