Engine Swap 12 50.00%
Forced Induction 4 16.67%
Both !! 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2006, 18:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting to see the 170 bhp setup on the Zen hitting the streets. Would like to see the fuel delivery system, because last time around with 120bhp, the car was not to the owner's satisfaction.

Having said that, the G-mobile will need some major traction control, and suspension work. 250 odd horses on the strip, 700 kgs, man that ought to be fun!
Old 8th August 2006, 18:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Revvhead: JDM = Japanese Domestic Market
USDM = United States Domestic Market

Normally, JDM cars are more powerful than their USDM counterparts.
Old 8th August 2006, 18:37   #48
BHPian

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. These engines are made specifically for the jap market and not available as an option anywhere else in the world. Mad japs want more power all the time.

Even i thought it was a distant dream hrisheet. But you will not beleive how economical it really is. Will give you details over PM later.
Old 8th August 2006, 18:40   #49
BHPian

yeah, i know the Mad japs.... Have to work for them. They have bloody exhaust outlets twice the size of my baleno freeflow on some of their Wagon Rs!!!!!
Old 8th August 2006, 18:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Those are 100 bhp AWD Wagon Rs, in some cases!
Old 8th August 2006, 18:52   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
My engine is not junk. Ford rocams sure doesnt look like junk.

Unfortunately no tuner in India will go that length.

I also hope the TCing scene in India picks up. but I don't see it happening in the near future. i sincerely hope I am proved wrong.
Well , not all are as lucky as u or jitu farhan .. I know of a few friends who have had bitter experiences .. Btw , could u explain to me where else do these used engines land up from ?? Unless and until the previous owner has reaped max thrills from it , a totalled car etc etc .. Sounds all the more shady ..

That said , it is important to go to the RIGHT TUNER to get things done as we all know .. Even for something as simple as a head job u need to go to the guy who knows his stuff .. Its u whose got to make the choice of whether to approach a good tuner with reliable build at a premium or someone who would charge u 50% less but give u 200% more headaches ..

Fortunately , i know of one tuner who would never TC my car without doing all the experiments on HIS OWN CAR .. Call me fortunate .. I also know of other reputed tuners , who are not only into this field for money making alone but just to make a name for themselves .. And those boys close to them do get a lot of perks , as we all know ..

That said , i do hope u are proved wrong .. With all the TCed cars coming from Leela , 1st the VTEC , then a couple of swifts , now another baleno , yet another VTEC , a 3 year old TCed esteem doing rounds .. The art of TCing is atleast making its strides in bangalore ..
Old 8th August 2006, 19:05   #52
BHPian

@ Viper - It's our duty to keep all informed.Thats what the forum is for - sharing information. Whether they listen or not is entirely up to them. I wish Rahul all the best for his upcoming project and again pledge any help if required.

I would also like to make one thing clear. When i did my turbo project my tuner warned me of the dire consequences. I throughly researched the project and spent days at the workshop. But at the end of the day, lack of tuning hardware let us down completely. My tuner is a also my friend and it was my stupidity and not his. Just dont want anyone to get the wrong impression. Also, I did not blow up my engine thanx to the hardware I invested. I opted for a engine swap cause I wanted to enjoy my car 100%, without having to monitor EGT AFR etc etc.

Peace.
Old 8th August 2006, 19:19   #53
BHPian

Rahul, agreed that these engines are sourced from scrap yards in japan. In most cases the car has had a severe collision in the rear. The cost of putting it together does not make sense and therefore they scrap it. But I am not stupid, you see, infact I am far from being stupid. I have a relaible source who will to his best knowledge check the hardware out and only then inform me tht the package is worth the trouble. Just like you research before you do a turbo project, we also research before we do an engine swap.

Before the kit actually lands here we change important and difficult to source components so that the car is reliable for atleast 30 to 40,000 km if not more. Doing a head job my friend is nothing when compared to an engine swap, you know better than that. So lets not go down that way.

As far as the turbo cars which are already there - the corolla is already blown (to bits), one baleno has already blown his turbo, the swift originally blew and then was redone with stronger internals - the list goes on.

The art of tcing is not making strides my friend - they are baby steps.

And just a word of advice - you need to learn to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Be carefull, lest you end up with a blown head (Pun intended) - God Forbid.

Last edited by Sideways : 8th August 2006 at 19:21.
Old 8th August 2006, 19:20   #54
BHPian

JDM = Japanese Domestic market JDM engines are having speed restriction of185KM/h compared to USDM also cars are Right hand drive as compared to USDM Left hand drive.

Coming to the T/C seen the recent turbo baleno i had spoken to the tuner & he said that it has been left at 4psi only,
a similar setup was tried earlier in mumbai on baleno & it had similar problem they lowered the C.R & thrown in more fuel using greddy emanage but that didnt helped ultimately that baleno was scrapped.Unless & until some research is done on the engine & its ECU functioning T/C baleno will be difficult but not impossible.
Old 8th August 2006, 19:31   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways
I wish Rahul all the best for his upcoming project and again pledge any help if required.
Thanks a ton farhan , il be needing every bit of help from ur end ..
Yes , i do appreciate u for letting me into the know how/problems to face while TCing .. These points while significantly adding to my already long list of homework will be of most valuable to me .. Thanks a ton ..

I respect guys with engine swaps .. I really do .. I have great respect for farhan and Jitu , i also have a lot of friends who have been doing engine swaps all there lives .. I have nothing against them ..

Well , lets see what the future beckons us .. As long as we are making strides forward i guess no one will complain .. In eager anticipation of bright things to come in the future , i wish best of luck to all who are on the never ending process of upgrading their rides in the hunt for that elusive THRILL .. Kudos to cars and our never ending passion for them ..

PS : Akshay , nice signature ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 8th August 2006 at 19:37.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:06   #56
BHPian

Parts list for a turbo project

Following is the list of hardware which was imported for the turbo project: -

From Australia: -

Garrett Ball Bearing GT-25 Turbo
Turbosmart external wastegate
5th Injector set-up with 450cc injector
Microtech Injector Controller with Handset
FSE Fuel Pressure Regulator
Slim Line Thermo Fan
Decompression Head Gasket
Turbo Manifold
Boost Controller
Blow-Off Valve
Full Exhaust System - upto gear linkage
EVO 6 intercooler (second hand, but in good condition)
K&N Air Filter with intake pipe
All piping, hoses, clamps, oil lines, water lines
All Gaskets

Further to the above list following was imported from America: -

From America: -

Defi Gauges - oil pressure, EGT, Fuel Pressure, Boost gauge
Dyno Jet wide band AFR kit.
MSD - Ignition timing controlller - Model number MSD 6 BTM

After having unsucesssfully run with a fifth injector we imported 4 higher capacity fuel injectors - 270 cc from RC engineering - U.S.A.

If you would like to know the cost of all of the above parts with duty etc. Please PM me. i can assure you that it is a hell of a lot of money - hard earned, not baap ka paisa which was spent.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:17   #57
Team-BHP Support

Folks, the tone of this thread is getting dire.

I am taking the liberty of deleting the more biting stuff

The knowledge that Sideways is sharing is getting marred by the sniping
Old 8th August 2006, 20:26   #58
BHPian

Parts list for an engine swap

Basically you get the entrie front half of the car as a package. it includes the following:

Engine and transmission

Engine - complete
Gearbox - complete
Drive shafts
Exhaust upto gear linkage

Cooling

radiator includes other the electric fans as well.
water pump

Air conditioning

Compressor
condensor
dryer
all hoses related to airconditioning
Blower assembly
electronic climate controller
Vacum operated vents form fresh air and various positions for air circulation.

Electronics

Engine bay wiring harness
Paasanger cabin wiring harness
Fuse and relay holders
Ecu
Wiper motor
alternator

Suspension,brakes, steering and body work

chasis sub frame
Complete front suspension including lower arms shock absorbers, springs bushes, stabiliser anti roll bar with linkage etc.
Steering components includng steering box, ball joints, tie rod ends etc.
steering column including steering wheel
All body panels including bonnet, fenders, doors, front bumper, dash board and dash board components including meters etc.
Complete front braking set, including rotors, callipers, brake pads, hoses etc.

Misc

Seats
Seat Belts
All glass
head lights
indicator lens - front and side panel.
All pedals - throttle, brake and clutch.
Mirrors - outside and inside.
Gear lever.
Centre console.

Since most of the stuff is common you can knock of what you dont require and import the rest. This way you end up saving freight costs and duty.

Last edited by Sideways : 8th August 2006 at 20:32.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:41   #59
BANNED

Farhan , now thats a great comparo ... How about providing some basic budgets for a decent swap vs a TC , considering similar output gains .. For eg , the cost of shipping a B18 with everything putting out 170 + horses to a TCed 1.5 OHC or a VTEC putting out similar output figures ..

As u said , with risk factor almost equal for both , the next important aspect would be the budget issues , barring which it will be each individuals preference .. And also the purpose of doing such a project could also be mentioned to figure out the priorities .. Thanks for all the time and patience that u are showing in this regard .. Really appreciate it ..
Old 8th August 2006, 23:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Jitu, I thought the only restriction on JDM cars was that the speedo shows only 180 kmph. I've seen this in a 3000 GT, and in JDM bikes like the Honda X-11. Didn't know the engine output itself was restricted to that max speed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks