Team-BHP - Corolla K&N Typhoon intake
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Corolla K&N Typhoon intake (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/15830-corolla-k-n-typhoon-intake.html)

hey guys...today jus hooked up ma corolla with a K&N Typhhon intake at RAC.Powerband has spread out by a margin,engine now breathes free upto 120kmph,not checked with the mielage yet.All the connections were done fine,but there is lots of heat creeping into the cabin.I did not face this with the stock filter setup.The temp. reading on the dash is very normal but seriously it gets hot in the cabin.What could this problem be or is this normal with the typhoon intake kits???

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

this is strange, i had lot of expectations from the K&N, lets see what the experts have to say

I have a corolla too, interested in K&N which model should I get ??

there is probably something wrong with the location where the filter has been dropped, suggest you put up a pic of your engine bay so that the experts around could pour in their suggestions.
A visit to phsycho would be ideal.

manson.

Hi!
I have just removed the Typhoon from both our cars, the Accord and the Lancer.
In my personal opinion, it was excessively noisy and hurting on the ears on a long run. It really dropped performance through out the useable rev range and made the car undriveable..how often are you going to do 5-6k RPM driving?
After removing, the cars became MUCH more responsive.

Again, This is just my opinion..

Cheers!

my first question would be which filter have you installed.. an after market oe fitment or a conical one???
secondly it seems pretty strange that heat is coming into the driver cabin. .. please check for any leakages through the firewall.
a picture of your engine compartment should be helpful as far as the positioning is concerned.
and ap 10046 , the sweet whistle of a good clean k&n conical is not noisy. and through the usable rev range a car does behave excellently well when the fittment is done perfectly.
well, i have k and n on my stock zen and my dohc honda crx . both are responsive and quick

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap10046
Hi!

It really dropped performance through out the useable rev range and made the car undriveable..how often are you going to do 5-6k RPM driving?
After removing, the cars became MUCH more responsive.

Cheers!

:Shockked: the cars became undriveable ....thats the first time i have heard something like that.
@vittalnrv:the k&n has no relation to the heat creeping ino the cabin.its just an airfilter which sucks air.have you installed a heat deflector shield around the filter so that it doesnt suck up the engines hot air.in that case the heat might be getting deflected towards the cabin.

one advice,keep the ac on :)

I dont see a connection between k&n and a heating cabin!!! Prolly something has gone wrong at the same time and who think its coz of intake!!!

Ive never heard anyone say k&n has made the car undriveable and soo noisy!!!

This thread is weird....everything here sounds unnatural!!! LOL!!!

I think a picture of the installation would help clear things up. Where did you get the fitting done?

Hi Guys,
I assume we are talking about a K&N 4" inlet conical with a 4" 3 foot long cold air tube?
Have any of you heard one sucking air at full throttle, and can still say its quiet? The intake roar is WELL louder than my free flow!! When you are accelerating from Low Rpm in maybe 2nd, there is ABSOLUTELY no power till about 3.5K RPM. I should upload a sound clip to clear all doubts.
I have used the Typhoon Kits on my Lancer and Accord 2.4 MT, and they both did the same thing.
On the expressway at about 160 continous in either car was torture..
I speak from experience not an assumption. Karan from KS Motorsports will back me up.
Both the kits are for sale, by the way. The Honda's is barely 2000 km old. The Lancer's will be around 4000 km
Cheers!

Quote:

Hi Guys,
I assume we are talking about a K&N 4" inlet conical with a 4" 3 foot long cold air tube?
Have any of you heard one sucking air at full throttle, and can still say its quiet? The intake roar is WELL louder than my free flow!! When you are accelerating from Low Rpm in maybe 2nd, there is ABSOLUTELY no power till about 3.5K RPM. I should upload a sound clip to clear all doubts.
I have used the Typhoon Kits on my Lancer and Accord 2.4 MT, and they both did the same thing.
On the expressway at about 160 continous in either car was torture..
I speak from experience not an assumption. Karan from KS Motorsports will back me up.
Both the kits are for sale, by the way. The Honda's is barely 2000 km old. The Lancer's will be around 4000 km
Cheers!

Hi,

All I can say is that you must be probably be one of the first ever people to come up with such a complaint. Have you tried using just the conical filter instead of the Typhoon kit.

As far as your cabin compartment heating up goes there is no ways on earth it is caused by the kit. Hellsspawn theory maybe be partially correct but that to only if there is a leak in the firewall which is letting in the hot air from the engine compartment.

I would put my money on a faulty fresh air duct flap which must not be getting fully closed related to the AC.

Please have that checked out.

Viper

Hi Viper,
Thats actually what im running on the Lancer right now..believe me you have to hear it..I scare the beJeezus out of people when I slam my foot down. I'll tell ya what. The car will be at Karan's place in a day or two, i'll record an open bonnet rev to 5k. Then i'll do the same from inside.

Cheers

Quote:

Cheers!

How much you selling for?

Quote:

Hi Viper,
Thats actually what im running on the Lancer right now..believe me you have to hear it..I scare the beJeezus out of people when I slam my foot down. I'll tell ya what. The car will be at Karan's place in a day or two, i'll record an open bonnet rev to 5k. Then i'll do the same from inside.

Cheers

Hey,

Its not that we dont believe you. Just sounds rare since we have fitted several cars till date and no one has a complaint like yours. As far as no pickup till 3.5k RPM that is wierd I would blame something else. Could be plug gaps, exhaust, head job, filter getting excessive hot air, anything.

Viper

ap10046 may be somewhat right. Karan quite advised me against using some K&N in my OHC because of the noise, since he would have to remove the airbox. I put in a stock replacement later and was much happier - some increase in noise, 5% increase in performance initially which went down subsequently till next cleaning of the filter. In our dusty climate, k&n requires cleaning quite frequently, which can be expensive as well as a pain.