Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 09:09   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift 1.3 Diesel: Evotech remap from Lap47, Kerala

As my 2013 Swift DDIS completed One year and 30,000 kilometers, thought of going for some performance upgrade. First thing that came to my mind was a REMAP.

Before remap:

1.Fun to drive in 2000-3000 rpm range but beyond 3500, rpm hardly climbs and there is no meaning in pushing after 3500.

2.Mileage - 15 km/liter(city) and 16.5 (Highway).

I have even tried changing my driving style to improve mileage, but it will never go above 16.5, even on long drives. Thought the 16" wheels and wider rubber was the cause.

Decision making:- Remap

I was a bit hesitant about the remap, as the car was only 30,000 kms old and there are warranty concerns, reliability issues etc. Had done extensive research about the remap process, how its done and finally decided to go for a remap.

But still confused on which tuner to choose from: PETES, CODE-6, LAP-47, TDI.

Code-6 and Tdi were ruled out, as they are based far from Cochin and it will be hard for me to reach them, if something goes wrong in due course or if the dealer updates my map during service.

Had almost finalized on Petes remap and they were offering some promotions, but was impressed by the reputation of Evo-Tech Germany. Knowing that their authorized dealership has started in Cochin, rushed to Lap-47. The main factor for choosing Evo-Tech remap was the review by hundreds of Cooper and BMW owners. Before deciding, I just confirmed with Evo-Tech Germany, that LAP-47 is their dealer and they have a remap for Swift.

Remap Process:

Contacting Lal Bharathan of Lap-47 was easy as we had some mutual friends. Told Lal my requirements and he was very happy to help, the map was extracted by Evo-Tech software and send to the tuner. After one hour the new map was sent back to Germany. Had to wait in Lap-47 as Evo-Tech recommends extracting fresh maps, and the time was well spent in discussions about automobiles and tuning. I was very happy finding my new friendly performance shop.

Post Remap:

1.Evident improvement in torque in all gears.
2.The needle climbs till 5000 rpm with ease and linear acceleration.
3.Changing the stock factory filter to Green-Cotton, further improved acceleration and engine response.
4.Now its 3000 kms after the remap and I am getting a constant mileage of 17.5 - 18 km/liter, independent of driving condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift 1.3 Diesel: Evotech remap from Lap47, Kerala-swift.jpg  

Maruti Swift 1.3 Diesel: Evotech remap from Lap47, Kerala-10560424_636498503091275_3843618029291141814_o.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 16th December 2014 at 20:22. Reason: Not more than two smilies allowed per post.
b_ambat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 09:52   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift 1.3 Diesel: Evotech remap from Lap47, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post

Remap Process:

Contacting Lal bharathan of Lap-47 was easy as we had some mutual friends. Told Lal my requirements and he was very happy to help, the map was extracted by Evo-Tech software and send to the tuner, after one hour the new map was send back for Germany. Had to wait in Lap-47 as Evo-Tech recommends to extract fresh maps, and the time was well spend in discussions about automobiles and tuning and I was very happy finding my new friendly performance shop.

Post Remap:

1.Evident improvement in torque in all gears.
2.The needle climbs till 5000 rpm with ease and linear acceleration.
3.Changing the stock factory filter to Green-Cotton, further improved acceleration and engine response.
4.Now its 3000kms after remap and I am getting a constant mileage of 17.5 - 18 km/liter, independent of driving condition.
Great to hear that your increase in FE as well as performance.
Beats me, that why do our FE crazy manufacturers don't go in for such maps..!!

A couple of questions:

What exactly do you mean by fresh maps?
Who is the actual tuner? Evo-tech Germany? So, they do the remapping for indian models as well?
Is the green cotton a stock replacement filter? Does it cause an increase in engine noise?
Any specific reason for not going for Wolf's switchable maps based out of Edapally?

Last edited by Eddy : 16th December 2014 at 20:22.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Great to hear that your increase in FE as well as performance.
Beats me, that why do our FE crazy manufacturers don't go in for such maps..!!

A couple of questions:

What exactly do you mean by fresh maps?
Who is the actual tuner? Evo-tech Germany? So, they do the remapping for indian models as well?
Is the green cotton a stock replacement filter? Does it cause an increase in engine noise?
Any specific reason for not going for Wolf's switchable maps based out of Edapally?
Manufacturers tunes vehicles for entire market, so that the vehicle performs ideally in all conditions like, different climate, high altitudes and bad maintenance etc. So the stock Map will keep the vehicle in safer zone even in bad conditions. Further the EGR and DPF is also reasons for low mileage, a good tuner alters these values also, to obtain maximum performance.

The actual tuner is evo tech Germany and they do remap swift, figo, terrano... And most of these engines are global... Don't have the list of compact able cars, but if interested can get the list from Lap47.

Evotech recommends to flash the tweaked map asap(if the tweaked map is not flashed back within a day, they requests a new map), think the values changes overtime or date, not sure though.

Had gone for stock replacement filter, not sure about increase in engine noise, but evident air intake noice at times.
Have heard of wolf maps, but never knew they are based atedapally and not sure about the long time reliability , it's always better to go with a reliable tuner, to be in the safer side.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
As my 2013 Swift DDIS completed One year and 30,000 kilometers, thought to go for some performance upgrade and first think came to my mind was a REMAP.

First of all let me congratulate on the upgrade. I am waiting for a test drive, will do it as soon as i come down. It would be great if you share the performance increase claimed my the tuner.
AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 20:05   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift 1.3 Diesel: Evotech remap from Lap47, Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
First of all let me congratulate on the upgrade. I am waiting for a test drive, will do it as soon as i come down. It would be great if you share the performance increase claimed my the tuner.
Thanks Ashwin,the performance figures claimed by Evotech for suzuki swift are 100bhp and 240Nm torque.
Old 16th December 2014, 20:39   #6
BANNED

Quote:
2.The needle climbs till 5000 rpm with ease and linear acceleration
Do me a favour, take the car on a open stretch with no other users and ask your passenger to take a picture with the needle at 5000 RPM mark.

Would love to see that picture.

Good to the positives post the remap.

I have a doubt on smoking - Does the car smoke on acceleration and cruising?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 15:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
ask your passenger to take a picture with the needle at 5000 RPM mark.

Why so? The 1.3L MJD does touch 5,000 rpm. In fact, it's also a lot more free-revving than other small diesels around.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 19:20   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Why so? The 1.3L MJD does touch 5,000 rpm. In fact, it's also a lot more free-revving than other small diesels around.
Just for fun! I have seen 4500RPM but want to go further. Hence the grace for the 5K mark.

IMO, the 1.3 DDiS is 'the' best small diesel engine i have seen till date in any Indian car. Be it on performance, driveability and FE.

Anurag.
Old 17th December 2014, 19:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Do me a favour, take the car on a open stretch with no other users and ask your passenger to take a picture with the needle at 5000 RPM mark.

Good to the positives post the remap.

I have a doubt on smoking - Does the car smoke on acceleration and cruising?

Anurag.
Will post a picture next time, though we had touched 5000 rpm quite often during extensive testing post remap, the thought to take photos for record, never came to us.

Haven't seen any smoke as of now, even on hard acceleration. I used to check for smoke on rear view mirror, but have to check from outside when the car passes by, to confirm. Further it will be hard to determine the difference in smoke levels, unless there is extensive smoke on acceleration, like we get while adding tuning boxes.
Old 20th December 2014, 00:02   #10
BHPian

Why didn't you consider Tune-O-Tronics?
Any specific reason?
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Why didn't you consider Tune-O-Tronics?
Any specific reason?
As there are 'n' number of tuners in the industry, even I was confused at first but it's always good to do some research to find who is reliable. From many international forums, I found evotech to be reliable and experienced, so went ahead with the remap and after 3 months of driving, I am totally satisfied with the map.
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMO, the 1.3 DDiS is 'the' best small diesel engine i have seen till date in any Indian car. Be it on performance, driveability and FE.
Imagine how big FIAT would have been now - had it not sold the technology to Bosch to recover from its financial loses, before even the first engines hit the market. Short term gain -> Long term blunder.
Old 21st February 2021, 14:24   #13

Can you do a long term review of the remapped car and any niggles experienced afterwards? Didi you change the oil cooler body to the one on ertiga? And also how much the remap cost?

Most Viewed