Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 21:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Rear struts + regular update at 35,000 kms is up here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3621115

Got the front struts changed as well on saturday as i had some free time. Had got the rear struts changed last week itself. Car has clocked 34k kms. Sadly, 3 out of 4 struts were leaking oil and were in a bad condition. For information of others am posting part numbers of TRW front and rear struts for both Vento/Rapid. TRW is a germany company and the reputation is quite good in the market, most importantly, these struts are much much stiffer than OE struts of both Vento/Rapid, these struts carry a 6 month warranty on them.

TRW JGM9005T Front struts (set of 2) - cost 4500 INR
TRW JGT9006 Rear struts (set of 2) - cost 4000 INR
Labour paid - 800 INR
Time take for front + rear - 3.5 hours

Car has totally transformed after the strut change and goes absolutely flat over all undulations, body roll has decreased drastically. Low speed ride has turned a little harsh because these Trw struts are much stiffer than stock. Also finally after 2.5 years, the rear thud issue is finally history. Tried multiple times and never heard that sickening thud sound. For those who prefer handling over ride, go with these TRW struts and for ride quality lovers, please stick with VW OE struts, for me the OE struts were way too soft. I am in love with the car again after strut change as i drive fast, mostly highways and soft suspension was a big irritant for me.

My friend who owns Rapid also got his struts changed and on his car, 1 front and 1 rear strut was leaking oil and the piston did not come up when depressed. Please get the health of your struts checked at 45-50 k kms guys. Never knew my struts were shot until i drove another Vento. Once struts are shot, ride deteriorates, car will become bouncy, rear thuds will be more frequent and body roll would increase. You will never know until you drive another Vento or get it checked.

Also got the brake pads checked and they will last another 6000-7000 kms, had them changed at 13k kms when i faced shuddering so a life of 27-28 k kms is fine since i drive fast and frequent the hills a bit too much.

Got the work done at an independent garage here in GK 2, Delhi and the guy asked for a very nominal 800 INR for both the front and rear strut change. VW would have definitely charged me 3-4k labour.

Posting images below, you can see the old struts wherein piston was free and refused to come up, could be pushed with 2 fingers. Also you can see the oil leak on front struts and finally the new TRW struts.

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-blown-strut.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-blown-strut1.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-team-bhp-leak.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-new-strut.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-new-strut-1.jpg

Uploading a video of the old worn strut vs new TRW strut, the guy who happily shouts "gaye meaning worn" is my friend who owns a Rapid and even his rear struts are gone, though in a better condition that mine, his car has done 36,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Good to hear that both the front and rear struts have been changed and that there is a difference in the ride quality. Any feedback from those who sat on the rear bench? Just curious.
I had the privilege of sitting on the rear bench for a good 100 kms drive and there is a slight deterioration in the plush low speed ride that my Vento used to have. On the other hand, the high speed ride has turned just FLAT, there is no vertical movement at all now, the rear bench occupants will enjoy a flat ride now. The rear suspension on Vento was too soft, used to pitch/bob and create a loud thud the moment you hit an undulation. The new struts despite being stiffer are much better damped and are silent while doing their work.

After the change, car is much eager to change direction, turn ins have become quick and body roll is superbly controlled now, even the nose dive during braking has been eliminated.

Quote:
By any chance, do you have the importer's sticker from the packaging of these struts? Wanted to know who is the official importer/distributor in the country, from where these were imported from (Germany?) and the model number of the struts. Should be helpful for others.
These struts are being imported in India by "Liner's India" through the chennai port. Had checked Zauba and the parts are being imported from either Taiwan or China where they are produced under supervision of TRW, Germany.

FYI, all the stock OE struts had a VW- Made in India sticker on them and lasted only 34,000 kms , they were completely shot.

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2015 at 13:15. Reason: Adding video & moving out to a new thread :)
coolboy007 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 13:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Mod Note: Moved this post out to a new thread as it might be of immense help to other Vento owners. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

TRW JGM9005T Front struts (set of 2) - cost 4500 INR
TRW JGT9006 Rear struts (set of 2) - cost 4000 INR
Labour paid - 800 INR
Time take for front + rear - 3.5 hours
Few questions:
  • Where did you procure these from?
  • Where did you get them fixed?
  • Are they VW approved?
  • Any idea how much the same parts cost for OEM VW ones?

I was asked to get these changed at my 45k service as one of them was leaking oil but found the cost to be way higher than what you have mentioned. The car has crossed 62k right now, I am overdue for the fourth service and the suspension is acting up; hence I don't think I will have an option but to change. If the cost is along similar lines then I will go for it.

Thank You!
miharbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 23:47   #4
BHPian

I found TRW Struts and Suspension items for many car brands and models (including VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai) being sold online here on spareshub.com.. http://spareshub.com/manufacturers/t...l?limit=36&p=6
Although, the disclaimer: I have no online buying experience from this merchant.
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 09:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I found TRW Struts and Suspension items for many car brands and models (including VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai) being sold online here on spareshub.com.. http://spareshub.com/manufacturers/t...l?limit=36&p=6
Although, the disclaimer: I have no online buying experience from this merchant.
This website does not have proper description so i would be wary of buying form there especially if it does not fit, returns will be a hassle. For i20 it does not say whether petrol or diesel . And there are different versions of i20(old, i gen and elite). No mention of these

Local seller is preferred to since we can see the product and visually check part numbers etc before purchase
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 10:36   #6
BHPian

I changed the lower balls joints of my Pajero to TRW about 6/7 months back because the company ones weren't available. Unfortunately for me these have already given way and need replacement again! Haven't really read any satisfactory reviews about TRW either.
Would be interesting to know how long your these struts last you.. keep updating this thread.
SunChaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have installed the TRW Struts in my Elantra and i was really impressed with the handling improvement . These TRW are made in Germany. Dont know about the life of these struts. But , they are cheaper and better than the OE ones.

PS: I purchased them from Harman Autos , GP road , Chennai and fitted them in the Hyundai ASC.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChaser View Post
Unfortunately for me these have already given way and need replacement again! Haven't really read any satisfactory reviews about TRW either.
Same here, One of my friend has installed one and it developed some knocking sound with in 3 months of installation.

@coolboys - We need a review after around 5/10k kms.

Last edited by brraj : 21st January 2015 at 16:54.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Moved this post out to a new thread as it might be of immense help to other Vento owners. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for creating a new thread and re arranging all the stuff. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Few questions:
  • Where did you procure these from?
  • Where did you get them fixed?
  • Are they VW approved?
  • Any idea how much the same parts cost for OEM VW ones?
I procured these from Metro Spares, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi. The parts were not available but i called him up and he arranged for the stock within a day. Got them fixed at an independent garage in GK 2, New Delhi at Ayub, a nominal labour of 800 was chaged, work done to my satisfaction and no dramas like VW ASC's.
These are not VW approved, don't think any manufacturer will approve aftermarket parts, have no clue on how much the oem struts cost, give a call to your service centre, they should tell you the part cost and associated labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Yeah, parts are available online but no clue on how their service is. Better to buy from a spare parts shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChaser View Post
I changed the lower balls joints of my Pajero to TRW about 6/7 months back because the company ones weren't available. Unfortunately for me these have already given way and need replacement again!
Sorry to see that the parts did not last in your car. Why did you not get the parts replaced under warranty (the struts atleast carry a 6 month warranty). Will keep updating the thread. Even have a 1500 kms trip to Himachal lined up next month where the struts would be tortured as the roads there are non existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have installed the TRW Struts in my Elantra and i was really impressed with the handling improvement . These TRW are made in Germany. Dont know about the life of these struts. But , they are cheaper and better than the OE ones.
+1, the handling is miles better than OE struts. I took the risk and went with TRW because i did not want to go with the same soft OE struts of VW. Infact am spellbound by the handling improvement these struts have provided, gives so much confidence while pushing hard and body control is tight while cornering. If these struts last even a little lesser than VW OE struts, i would be happy. These are very stiff and i drive hard so not expecting unreasonable life out of them. The kind of issues my Vento is having these days and thanks to the sub standard parts used by VW, am worried if the car will last as long as these struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Same here, One of my friend has installed one and it developed some knocking sound with in 3 months of installation.
@coolboys - We need a review after around 5/10k kms.
Definitely buddy, will keep updating this thread as i clock miles. Infact am planning to get the struts checked once i complete 4-5 months so that if there is any issue, same can be resolved within warranty. Will easily complete 8-9k kms in 6 months.

Can you tell me what kind of knocking sound your friend had so i can be cautious if same thing happens with me? Was the warranty claim approved?

Last edited by coolboy007 : 21st January 2015 at 18:44.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 20:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:

+1, the handling is miles better than OE struts. I took the risk and went with TRW because i did not want to go with the same soft OE struts of VW. Infact am spellbound by the handling improvement these struts have provided, gives so much confidence while pushing hard and body control is tight while cornering. If these struts last even a little lesser than VW OE struts, i would be happy. These are very stiff and i drive hard so not expecting unreasonable life out of them. The kind of issues my Vento is having these days and thanks to the sub standard parts used by VW, am worried if the car will last as long as these struts

Definitely buddy, will keep updating this thread as i clock miles. Infact am planning to get the struts checked once i complete 4-5 months so that if there is any issue, same can be resolved within warranty. Will easily complete 8-9k kms in 6 months.

Can you tell me what kind of knocking sound your friend had so i can be cautious if same thing happens with me? Was the warranty claim approved?
Dear coolboy007,

I was waiting for a solution like this. I agree that the rear suspension of the vento is a bit soft. I guess the Germans succumbed to the Market demand of plush ride. The only irritating issue was the rear suspension with my Vento TDI.I am still happy with the front setup. Rest of the car is still impeccable after 25K. I am doing this upgrade for sure.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Initial impression was good but nearing 3 months of usage a jarring sound started in rear when in Undulation/Pot hole/Humps.
He went ahead with stock replacement and did not claim warranty.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:09   #12
BHPian

Has anyone installed TRW's on Civic. I'm planning to get a little stiffer suspension for my Civic. Trying to find out options available in the market for Civic but unfortunately couldn't find much online.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:24   #13
BHPian

Are the ones on the Rapid and Vento the same?
I too dont like suspension on the rapid and want a stiffer one
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:07   #14
BHPian

Can we only upgrade the rear to eradicate the THUD!?
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Are the ones on the Rapid and Vento the same? I too dont like suspension on the rapid and want a stiffer one
Yes Manas, my friend has a 2012 Rapid and i have a 2012 Vento. The said parts did fit without any issues in both the cars. The parts by TRW are same for both cars.
I had contacted a member of other forum who has these struts fitted on his Vento for past 8 months. I had called him and had a brief chat with him before going for this upgrade. Anyways the whole thing costed 9.5k so did experiment.

Would suggest you to wait for a few months and see how my experience with these struts goes. If all goes well, you can go for the same if some issue arises, only my money would be wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Can we only upgrade the rear to eradicate the THUD!?
Yes, there is no compulsion to change all 4. I did so because my front strut was leaking oil and i wanted a stiffer set up. I have not heard the rear thud even once so far in 400-500 kms i have driven so am sure it is history now.

Since you live in NCR, you are welcome to drive my car if you want to get an idea on how the car drives vis-a-vis OE struts before going for them. Will suggest you to wait for some time, let me see if these struts hold up to the tortures NCR roads throw at them.

Most Viewed