Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2006, 16:42   #16
BHPian

Yes, they make Gear locks, and I use their U-type lock on my car
Old 18th August 2006, 19:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed
Do not go for steering lock... it is of no use as it takes a few seconds to break the steering and remove the lock... go for a gear lock only from a good car accessories shop.
What makes you think gear locks any more secure ?

Most the generic taiwanese gear locks (like the type sold throughout India) are not very hard to remove. They are no better (or worse) than steering locks.
Old 18th August 2006, 21:30   #18
BHPian

@ Willy you can check my XETA review in the New Car Review section I have posted picture of my Auto Cop U type gear system, The Pin type is for older cars and all new cars with such fittment go for U-type...My uncles zen has Silicon Gear Lock System ...All of them appear almost same, however the finish,warranty and Sturdiness is what can distinguish them apart..! Choose Auto-cop..I found it better..!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...ng-review.html

here is how the gear lock is much more secure now, It has Rivets without grooves..so they fasten to the body of the car and cannot be removed ..unless you take a screw driver and make a groove to unscrew them, With such a small space available under the car...its practically impossible to remove them unless done on a high lift..! There are 4 rivets which go under and 4 which go from the inside..! So Gear Locks can provide a little more security..as our indian thief won't make a bam bam noise to attract attention...and neither can he manage to go around town with a Blow torch and weld the damn thing out...lol !

Nothing is 100 % safe...however Gear locks are more time consuming to break open...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 18th August 2006 at 21:36.
Old 28th November 2008, 16:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys. I have a Maruti 800 which I am moving to Pune from Blore.

Since I will have to park my car on the road overnight (facing the apartment complex) I need suggestions on a reliable gear lock or steering lock.

The car will only be used on the weekends as I have a cab for office commutation.

I already have an autocop with body sensor but I feel i need something more secure.

Do pour in your inputs. All help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

P.S. Wolfie - can the U-type gear lock be fitted on a M800? Its a 2003 model 4 speed mpfi.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th November 2008 at 16:24.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gear Lock for i10

Hi all,

I have purchased Hyundai i10 1.1 ERA (Electric Red) last week. I got Cobra remote locking with immobiliser.

My car is parked on the road side in front of my rented house. Although it is a reasonably safe neighborhood, I still feel the need for a mechanical lock for additional security.

I inquired with the dealer regarding gear lock for i10 and could not believe the answer he gave me - "Gear lock is not required in Bangalore because cars don't get stolen here".

I felt like doing this to the accessory guy who said that.

So, I have these questions for the experts:
1. How safe is Cobra remote locking with the immobiliser ? And will the immobiliser cause problems for me in the future ?
2. Is a gear lock available for i10 ? Where can I get it in Bangalore ?
3. Is a steering lock as effective as a gear lock ?

If possible, post pics of the i10 gear lock.

@mods - I searched the forums but could not find the above info anywhere. If a thread already exists, kindly direct me to the same.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Gear Lock for i10

Hi all,

I need some info regarding a suitable gear lock for my hyundai i10.

i10 has a dashboard integrated gearbox. Thats why, I feel it won't be possible to fit any normal gear lock in it.

Has any i10 owner got the gear lock installed in your vehicle ? Kindly let me know the make and cost of gear lock for i10. Also, where can I find it in Bangalore ?

If possible, do post a picture. It would be great help for me.

Rohan
Bangalore
Old 12th July 2009, 13:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi all,

I need some info regarding a suitable gear lock for my hyundai i10.

i10 has a dashboard integrated gearbox. Thats why, I feel it won't be possible to fit any normal gear lock in it.

Has any i10 owner got the gear lock installed in your vehicle ? Kindly let me know the make and cost of gear lock for i10. Also, where can I find it in Bangalore ?

If possible, do post a picture. It would be great help for me.

Rohan
Bangalore
Hi Roshan,

Get in touch with Advaith showroom on Residency road, they have Xenos gear locks with them.

You could also go through the Xenos website: Xenos

It seems that Advaith showroom on Residency road charge 1500/-, this includes the installation as well. I am planning to get the gear lock installed for my i10. I will be doing it nextweek end. I will let you know how the installation is done and take few snaps as well.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Gear lock for i10

Hi,

I asked for the i10 gear lock in Advaith Outer Ring Road showroom, they did not have one. Will try in Advaith Residency Road, thanks sabsubs.

Please do post the snaps here when you get it done in your i10.

By the way, is the lock beige in colour or black ? I hope it does not spoil the look of the interiors.

Before installation, do make sure that it does not obstruct your knee when sitting in the driver's / front passenger seat.

Also, do we need to drill holes in the chassis for installing this ? I have got under chassis anti-rust coating in my i10. If I get the gear lock installed in i10, do I need a touch up of the anti-rust coating where the holes are drilled ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 13th July 2009, 12:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

By the way, is the lock beige in colour or black ? I hope it does not spoil the look of the interiors.
Relax buddy, I think you are taking this too seriously. It comes in black color what I last checked. And a proper finishing will not make it look bad.

Quote:

Before installation, do make sure that it does not obstruct your knee when sitting in the driver's / front passenger seat.

Also, do we need to drill holes in the chassis for installing this ? I have got under chassis anti-rust coating in my i10. If I get the gear lock installed in i10, do I need a touch up of the anti-rust coating where the holes are drilled ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
It will obstruct your knees if you are super tall and the choice of vehicle did not take that into consideration.

About the holes, yes, 2 of them right in the chasis. Maybe 3 for different models. You could go in for a touch up, never hurt anyone, but not specially, get it done during your next routine service round.

Hope the pictures give you an Idea. Please don't mind the unclean car.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-image1184.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-image1189.jpg  

Last edited by prince_pervez : 13th July 2009 at 12:49.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Gear lock for Hyundai i10

Hi prince_pervez,

Thanks for the photos. (Your car does not look unclean, by the way)

I feel that you could not understand my problem. Let me explain again.

I have seen gear locks installed in other cars, I know about them in general.

But in Hyundai i10, the position of the gear lever is totally different as compared to the other cards. It has a dashboard integrated gear lever. Please see the attached image.

That's why it may not be possible to install a regular gear lock in this car.

I have heard about gear locks specific to Hyundai i10, but have never seen what it looks like. My dealer also does not have one.

Another T-bhpian (sabsubs) will be getting the gear lock installed in his i10 this weekend and he has promised to post photos. Waiting for his photos.

Could any i10 owner please post some photos of gear lock for i10. Especially guys in NCR, as they are more particular about installing gear locks.

I was surprised to find that many car owners in Bangalore have never heard about gear locks. They live in the misconception that their Autocop/Nippon/Xenos remote locking system is unconquerable.

Anyway, thanks for your concern prince_pervez.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-hyundaii10interiordashboard.jpg  

Old 15th July 2009, 15:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised to find that many car owners in Bangalore have never heard about gear locks. They live in the misconception that their Autocop/Nippon/Xenos remote locking system is unconquerable.

Anyway, thanks for your concern prince_pervez.

Rohan,
Bangalore
You are Welcome. The fact that not many people are aware of gear locks is not limited to BLR. Its the same all over. I hope this is the same case with the thieves as well, at least for 5 more years

Coming back to the topic. Like you said/showed, the gear lever is a part of the dashboard hold. My best bet would be, whoever is getting this lock fixed would be getting a pin type installed. Moreover, I have heard of a Pin type installation all throughout from Hyundai. Never heard of a 'U' type from them.

There is one more thread going on parallel to this one. There we have a picture of a Hyundai pin type gear lock. Have you seen it ?
Old 15th July 2009, 15:07   #27
BHPian

To Sum it up - go to a xenos Galleria (if there is one in your city) and get it installed from there. If you haggle with the xenos ppl you might be able to get the stuff installed at factory/dealer prices...
Recently got myself a Xenos 6 sensor RPS for 2900 which usually retails for 3500 in the market... Same holds true for central lock/gear locks...
Old 15th July 2009, 15:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here is an example of a typical hyundai pin type install.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...eaching-3.html
Old 15th July 2009, 15:48   #29
BHPian

make sure you check the price with all the Hyundai dealers before you get it fitted.

i was quoted the following for the same Hyundai gear lock made by Minda in Mumbai.

A1 auto - Rs.1550 with installation.
Continental Hyundai - Rs.2600 with installation.
Shreenath Hyundai - 2800 plus 200 for installation.

Obviously i went with A1 and bargained more to reduce the final total cost to Rs.1500 with installation.

I know for you the greatest problem is finding a dealer who has a gear lock for I10, but still this should give a rough idea of how accessory dept in Hyundai dealers are.

UM
Old 16th July 2009, 12:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Gear lock for Hyundai i10

Thanks prince_pervez / sonirohit / UniqueMods !

Yes, I have gone through the other thread regarding gear locks. The pictures posted by you guys were really useful.

But my problem remains unresolved because of the dash mounted gear lever in i10.

I tried my best to search team-bhp, but I cound not find any photo of i10 gear lock. I even searched on google, but no luck.

So, I guess I'll wait for sabsubs to post photos here once he gets the gear lock installed in his i10. If he confirms that the installation was done neatly, I'll also get it done from the same place.

I have just one more doubt. The gear lever has to be in what postition (1st gear / reverse gear / neutral / anywhere) at the time of locking ? Please tell for both pin type and U type gear locks.

@ prince_pervez - You mentioned in the other thread that you lock it in the neutral position. But the manufacturers generally recommend the gear to be engaged in the 1st gear or reverse gear while parking. So is it advisable to lock the gear lever in the neutral position ?

Rohan,
Bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks