Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 12:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
@sabsubs, would you please post some pictures, as I am also looking for one my i10.
Guys, I am really sorry, I could not post the pics immediately. I have taken couple of snaps. As mentioned by rohan_iitr, the gear lock is of pin type. You need to slot the gear in reverse and then insert the pin into the slot provided. Once you push it, the lock gets engaged. It is very easy to lock and unlock. Please have a look at the snaps.

You can contact one Mr. Mohan in Advaith Residency road, his contact number is +919880076532. As mentioned by rohan_iitr, you may have to bargain. When I approached Mohan, he quoated the price as 2200/- but eventually he accepted 1600/- including the fitting charges.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0048a.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0049a.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0050a.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0051a.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0052a.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0053a.jpg  

Old 13th February 2010, 21:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

My gear lock is also similar.

But I have got the pin holder fitted at a different position. (See the attached image)

The position marked as cross is not preferred since it would interfere with the driver's left knee. A Team-BHP member (svaid) has reported this problem in his ownership thread.

@sabsubs - do you also face this problem ?

The position marked as tick is much better. Do instruct them to fit the pin holder in this manner.

The price of the lock is only Rs 1350, but the installation charges are high since it is a labour intensive and time consuming job. (I had to leave the vehicle there for 4 hours).

There is a lot of margin in the labour charges, bargain shamelessly.

Rohan
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-img0050a.jpg  

Old 13th February 2010, 22:12   #48
BHPian

@rohan_iitr, what you said is true, some time it obstructs left knee. But when I am driving, I usually keep the pin inside the glove box so I am not facing the issue. I realized that it is obstructing only after fitting it. Actually I was not aware since there was no one in the forum who had gear lock fitted on to i10 and could a feedback on it. If I remember correctly, svaid did it much later after I got it fitted it. Anyhow I am not facing the issue anymore.
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Please see some pics of the Xenos Gear Lock installed in my Gypsy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...es-home-8.html
Old 22nd April 2010, 02:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Guys, I am really sorry, I could not post the pics immediately. I have taken couple of snaps. As mentioned by rohan_iitr, the gear lock is of pin type. You need to slot the gear in reverse and then insert the pin into the slot provided. Once you push it, the lock gets engaged. It is very easy to lock and unlock. Please have a look at the snaps.

You can contact one Mr. Mohan in Advaith Residency road, his contact number is +919880076532. As mentioned by rohan_iitr, you may have to bargain. When I approached Mohan, he quoated the price as 2200/- but eventually he accepted 1600/- including the fitting charges.
If this Gearlock is a Hyundai Genuine Part, it's of Crosslink Wheels available in the aftermarket for less than 1000 bucks with fitting and warranty period higher than that provided by the company.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:47   #51
BANNED

I also got Gear Lock fitted in my Car from Minda.

It costed me Rs. 900/- incl. installation and delivery at my place.

They have office in Kengeri but unfortunately I don't have their contact address and no.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:48   #52
BHPian

I'm looking for a gear lock for the Scorpio. I find the U type one ugly and inconvenient when compared to the pin type. It also takes up so much space and covers up the cubby holes! Unfortunately, that seems to be the only option as they don't make pin type locks that work on the Scorpio. Another concern is that it will damage the leather skirt on the gear lever.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Another concern is that it will damage the leather skirt on the gear lever.
Well if it is too tight it will. I have been using it for my zen I do not see any signs of wear. Mine is not leather. But isn't it a good enough bargain that you replace the gear lever skirt once a year for 200 bucks bearing in mind so much peace it can buy ? Just a suggestion.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:50   #54
BHPian

I am using "FORT KNOX" from minda on santro. costed Rs.1200/- including installation few months bacl.

the ease of PIN type is, just pull from stand and insert, hardly takes 2-3 seconds once you are used to it.

Sometimes when parking at public place, i feel so relaxed,

If someone is able to cut it in public place he certainly deserves a stolen car, ha ha ha
I am sure only an idiot would start removing this lock to take away the car.
Old 26th April 2010, 22:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

The U Type is actually a good visual deterrent for thieves. And it actually fits well. If you try to ben the metal bar on which the lock is fixed, its vey stiff plus the key given by Xenos seems to be a good one which is not easy to pick (not easy - thats just a reassurance)

But overall, i am more at peace when i am parking anywhere outside.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?

Hello Folks,

I'm thinking of installing a gear lock in my Scorpio, and had a few questions regarding that.

1. Which brand is most preferable - Autocop/Xenos/Minda - w.r.t availability in Pune and a professional & clean installation?
2. What's the approximate cost of a U-type gear lock [From posts in this thread, it seems that only a U-type lock will fit in the Scorpio]?
3. Will it require drilling holes on the floor of the vehicle? If yes, any idea what M&M's take on this is w.r.t voiding the warranty?

Any leads in Pune for the above purpose will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th May 2011, 13:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vikram,
Were you able to finalize on the steering lock or the gear lock?
I am looking for something similar and based out of Pune.
Please share your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hello Folks,

I'm thinking of installing a gear lock in my Scorpio, and had a few questions regarding that.

Any leads in Pune for the above purpose will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th May 2011, 20:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hey Vikram,
Were you able to finalize on the steering lock or the gear lock?
I am looking for something similar and based out of Pune.
Please share your experience.
Hello S_U_N,

This is what I found out:

1. Autocop - Found out the number of their sales office in Pune from their website and called them up. The guy promised to call back with details of the lock, installation etc, but didn't. Waited for a couple of days and called him again. Again the same promises with the same results.

2. Minda - Try as I might, I couldn't find any sales/service number in Pune on their website or in the Justdial online directory.

3. Xenos - Thankfully, found a list of accessory shops [in Pune] on their website that sell their gear locks, but haven't got around to enquiring with any of them yet due to a combo of my inherent laziness + being busy in office. I have attached that list below.

XenosGearLockDealers.doc

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th May 2011 at 20:20.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 10:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

^Thank you for this detailed list. I assume these dealers will also have steering locks, which is what I would actually prefer if there is less amount of drilling and cutting involved.

I will call them shortly.
Old 12th November 2011, 16:53   #60
BHPian

May I suggest the simplest and most effective steering lock which I use both in my M800 and K10. It is a simple padlock of Link brand which I lock in the steering column under the console. It is very safe, very cheap, unobtrusive and does not void any warranty. The only drawback is that putting the lock exactly at the junction of the column is a bit inconvenient but when you get the hang of it, you can do it with your eyes shut. Since the play of the steering is reduced by more than 80%, driving becomes impossible in any gear. Try it and see!

Most Viewed