Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 13:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But my problem remains unresolved because of the dash mounted gear lever in i10.

I tried my best to search team-bhp, but I cound not find any photo of i10 gear lock. I even searched on google, but no luck.
Rohan, if you observe carefully, the mount/cast on which the gear lever is located is pretty high. Also if I'm judging correctly it is a bit slanted as well. I don't think there is a base plate designed for such a unique case as in the i10. Someone might be designing it. A Pin type from Hyundai (for santro )may work out. Just enquire with Hyundai dealers.
Quote:
I have just one more doubt. The gear lever has to be in what postition (1st gear / reverse gear / neutral / anywhere) at the time of locking ? Please tell for both pin type and U type gear locks.

@ prince_pervez - You mentioned in the other thread that you lock it in the neutral position. But the manufacturers generally recommend the gear to be engaged in the 1st gear or reverse gear while parking. So is it advisable to lock the gear lever in the neutral position ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Depends. If you have big wall upfront after you've parked @ home then slot it in first and lock the gear lever. So even if there is a break in the thug would have to crash through the wall to get away.
Exactly opposite for a reverse gear.
For a neutral position lock, the gear will not be engaged and so the car won't move. But again, if a determined thief and his gang is willing to push the car then, you might end in bad luck.
Thats the reason, I too, did not go for a neutral position install. I lock it in third gear.
Someone on some other thread mentioned Honda installs their gear locks in reverse gear.

So generally, the installer will tell you, for which gear lever position/gear number, the lock is designed for.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks prince_pervez / sonirohit / UniqueMods !

Yes, I have gone through the other thread regarding gear locks. The pictures posted by you guys were really useful.

But my problem remains unresolved because of the dash mounted gear lever in i10.

I tried my best to search team-bhp, but I cound not find any photo of i10 gear lock. I even searched on google, but no luck.
Just barge into any accessories gallery and ask for it - I had a similar gear lock in my santro, one of my friend's i10 has also a gear lock installed...
Old 16th July 2009, 14:44   #33
BHPian

The Pin type gear lock in Santro can be locked in any gear, as per the parking requirement. in the manual, it is advised to be locked in reverse.

UM
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-images.jpeg  

Old 16th July 2009, 14:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
The Pin type gear lock in Santro can be locked in any gear, as per the parking requirement. in the manual, it is advised to be locked in reverse.

UM
What about neutral ? Can we lock it in neutral gear?
Old 16th July 2009, 14:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
What about neutral ? Can we lock it in neutral gear?
Nope, not in nuetral, as the pin would be obstructed by the gear stick.

UM
Old 16th July 2009, 14:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Nope, not in nuetral, as the pin would be obstructed by the gear stick.

UM
I thought so from the diagram.
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Gear Lock Dilema

Guys,

I am fixing a gear lock after reading horrifying stories about car thefts on our forum. I own a Santro 2007 XO Limited Edition Model.

Xenos Pin type Gear Lock @ Xenos Botique Chennai:
Asked Authorized Xenos Botique outlet at chennai. He told me he does not have the plate to fix the Gear lock. the plate needs to be sourced from Delhi. Fitment time quoted is 2 hours wait and take away. cost 1600/- with Plate, shipping charges from Delhi, Fitment and Pin type Gear Lock.

Hyundai Original Gear Lock @ HMP Chennai:
Asked HMP Chennai as i am planning to get my car serviced from them. They quoted 3500 for equipment + fitment.

What would be a better option. Higher Price not a constraint for me as Safety, Quality, Warranty and Neatness of Execution is a must for me.

Suggestions
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Bharath, go for Xenos. Hyundai sources its Gearlocks most probably from Crosslink Wheels, doesn't manufactures them.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:56   #39
BANNED

Looking for Gearlock for Logan

Hi

I'm also looking for Gear Lock for my trusted Logan.

Can anyone help me in finding the place where I can get it ?

I've already checked with Autocop guys in Bangalore and they told that they do not sell Gear locks in Bangalore.

I'm desparately looking for some help in this regard.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Hi

I'm also looking for Gear Lock for my trusted Logan.

Can anyone help me in finding the place where I can get it ?

I've already checked with Autocop guys in Bangalore and they told that they do not sell Gear locks in Bangalore.

I'm desparately looking for some help in this regard.
There are lots of car accessory shops on JC road, you could try there.

I inquired in Advaith Hyundai regarding gear lock for i10. They suggested me to try in JC road.

Rohan
Old 9th February 2010, 21:13   #41
BANNED

Quote:

I inquired in Advaith Hyundai regarding gear lock for i10. They suggested me to try in JC road.

Rohan
Rohan

I've already checked at JC Road and 90% of the dealers are saying because it is not popular here, hence they do not sell or may be their excuse that Bangalore is not theft prone city like Delhi.
Old 10th February 2010, 08:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Hey Rohan, I got the gear lock fitted on to my i10 few months before from Advaith Hyundai. Get in touch with Advaith on Residency Road, they have the gear lock for i10. They charged me Rs 1600/- for the lock including the fitting charges.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:08   #43
knp
BHPian

@sabsubs, would you please post some pictures, as I am also looking for one my i10.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hey Rohan, I got the gear lock fitted on to my i10 few months before from Advaith Hyundai. Get in touch with Advaith on Residency Road, they have the gear lock for i10. They charged me Rs 1600/- for the lock including the fitting charges.
Thanks a lot mate.

I will go to Advaith Residency Road this weekend.

Could you post some pics please. I hope the gear lock does not obstruct the driver's knee.

Rohan
Old 12th February 2010, 20:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Finally got the gear lock fitted in my i10. Thanks for the help.
The gear lock is pin type and beige in colour. It is Autocop/Hyundai brand.

Price of gear lock was Rs 1350, but fitting chrages are high since it requires a lot of time and effort to install. The accessory guy initially quoted Rs 2000. After bargaining and giving your reference, he reduced to Rs 1700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
@sabsubs, would you please post some pictures, as I am also looking for one my i10.
One member has already posted pics of i10 gear lock. Here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-4.html

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks