Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 21:23   #1
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications

Note from Mod: Thread split from here

Hi guys
Here are pics of my new baby:
1) 3M PPF done on complete care
2) Reverse Camera bought (not installed yet)
3) Navigation Decoder bought (not installed yet)
4) All lights replaced with LED w5w (looks awesome)
5) Mirrors/Half roof/lip spoiler covered with 3M carbon Fiber

@Abhinav.gupta88, I wanted to contact you buddy, how do i do that? I really love you mods!
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-img_0312.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-img_0313_2.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-img_0314_2.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th March 2015 at 14:50. Reason: Adding split note
akshaystephen11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 21:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaystephen11 View Post
Hi guys
Here are pics of my new baby:

@Abhinav.gupta88, I wanted to contact you buddy, how do i do that? I really love you mods!
Congratulations, wishing you miles and miles of trouble free motoring.
Can you please share the details(brand, model etc) of reverse camera and the navigation module.

Last edited by B747 : 5th January 2015 at 21:42.
Old 5th January 2015, 21:39   #3
BHPian

Re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Congratulations, wishing you miles and miles of trouble free motoring.
Can you please share the details(brand, model etc) of reverse camera and the navigation module.
B747, thanks buddy.
The decoder is available on dynavin dot in under skoda, and the reverse camera is available at vagtune. The cost will be around 45K. I have got it, but have not figured out where to go in install it, that is why I am looking for @abhinav.gupta88 to help me out.
Old 9th March 2015, 12:21   #4
BHPian

Re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Quote:
Quote:
The decoder is available on dynavin dot in under skoda, and the reverse camera is available at vagtune. The cost will be around 45K. I have got it, but have not figured out where to go in install it, that is why I am looking for @abhinav.gupta88 to help me out.
Hi Akshay, really digging the simple and elegant mods you've gone for. Can we please get some updates on:

1) the reverse camera and navigation setup (maybe a small write-up regarding installation and a quick review on how they are performing); and

2) how the 3M wraps on the ORVMs, half roof and lip spoiler are holding up?

Also, would love to see more pics, especially a rear ¾ view (showing off the wrapped spoiler and half roof), fitment of the reverse camera, the navigation display, and what the LED w5w lights look like.

You may even consider starting your own thread with plenty of pics!!
Thanks.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Hi Akshay, really digging the simple and elegant mods you've gone for. Can we please get some updates on:

1) the reverse camera and navigation setup (maybe a small write-up regarding installation and a quick review on how they are performing); and

2) how the 3M wraps on the ORVMs, half roof and lip spoiler are holding up?

Also, would love to see more pics, especially a rear ¾ view (showing off the wrapped spoiler and half roof), fitment of the reverse camera, the navigation display, and what the LED w5w lights look like.

You may even consider starting your own thread with plenty of pics!!
Thanks.
Hi there,

Thanks for the compliments!!

1) The reverse camera and Navigation are activated via the Dynavin decoder unit and are quite basic. This fact I did not know about when I bought it from VagTune. The Navigation maps are complete crap and are of no use at all. I have not been able to find a single address till date on the software. I have tried to install mapmyindia instead of the IGO maps(inbuilt) but it doesnt work. The reverse camera is quite ok, but again is just a basic view with guidance lines. The camera quality is a little better than VGA. I am actually quite disappointed with the dynavin decoder cause I spent around 40K and got cheap nonsense!! So I suggest you hold on till something better comes. I was planning to get the columbusII for the car.

2) The 3M paint protection flim is just superb! I highly recommend it if you have a car in a dark colour, like blue,black,grey or even silver. The film tends to turn a tad bit yellowish, but on dark colours it is not noticeable. On my car, if you look very closely you can make out, but the fact that its protects the car from scratches makes me overlook it.
As for the 3m carbon wrap on the roof/spoiler/mirrors: They are as good as new, even after my car-cleaning guy manhandles it! the only thing is that it catched so much dirt and dust. It needs to be cleaned quite often for it to look nice and shiney. I have been looking for a glossy-carbonfiber wrap, but I hear that can only be applied to the roof, as it does not have a lot of stretching capacity

As for pics, I will have them posted as soon as i can.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2015 at 14:14. Reason: Trust me, you don't want your cellphone number listed publicly on a large forum
Old 9th March 2015, 14:00   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, Akshay!

Quote:
As for the 3m carbon wrap on the roof/spoiler/mirrors: They are as good as new, even after my car-cleaning guy manhandles it! the only thing is that it catched so much dirt and dust. It needs to be cleaned quite often for it to look nice and shiney. I have been looking for a glossy-carbonfiber wrap, but I hear that can only be applied to the roof, as it does not have a lot of stretching capacity
Interesting you should mention that the glossy versions may not have enough stretching capacity. I'm in the market for a white Octavia 1.8tsi Elegance and was thinking of opting for 3m glossy black (as opposed to carbon fibre) wraps on the ORVMs, half roof, spoiler lip, and rear diffuser. Something similar to this, but without the red racing stripes.

Looking forward to the pics, and thanks for the offer - will definitely take you up and reach out as and when I get closer to the d-date

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2015 at 14:15. Reason: Removing cellphone number
Old 9th March 2015, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting you should mention that the glossy versions may not have enough stretching capacity. I'm in the market for a white Octavia 1.8tsi Elegance and was thinking of opting for 3m glossy black (as opposed to carbon fibre) wraps on the ORVMs, half roof, spoiler lip, and rear diffuser. Something similar to this, but without the red racing stripes.

Looking forward to the pics, and thanks for the offer - will definitely take you up and reach out as and when I get closer to the d-date
OH sorry, when i say glossy, I meant the carbonfiber wrap that has a glossy look. The plain black glossy wrap has a lot of stretching capacity. The 3M carbonFlber wrap is in a matt finish

Quote:

Just saw the link...the red racing stripes look wicked!

Last edited by Eddy : 15th March 2015 at 11:25. Reason: Merged
Old 9th March 2015, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:

There u go, these are some pics clicked at random. the car was not as clean as i'd like it to be, but so be it:
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image1.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image2.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image3.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image4.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image5.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image6.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image7.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image9.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image11.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image12.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image13.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image14.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image15.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image16.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image17.jpg  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-image18.jpg  

akshaystephen11 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 08:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
There u go, these are some pics clicked at random. the car was not as clean as i'd like it to be, but so be it:
Wow Akshay, thanks for taking the time buddy - truly appreciate your putting up the pics.

A big thank you to Abhinav as well for being so generous with his time and for sharing.
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 08:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
regarding the paddle shift steering
Hi Akshay, where did you get the steering from? I notice it has white/silver stitching instead of red one which is sold by Vagtune. So if possible pls give us a break up of costs like shipping, customs, etc.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi Akshay, where did you get the steering from? I notice it has white/silver stitching instead of red one which is sold by Vagtune. So if possible pls give us a break up of costs like shipping, customs, etc.
Hey Adi, I had a friend pick it up from Prague , this is the silver edition and costs as much as the red edition which is $300. My friend shipped it to me via Fedex and I had no customs issues or nothing to be paid. Shipping was $40. I wanted to get one of these for a long time, but VagTune was way too expensive, so I forced my friend
Old 10th March 2015, 09:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Wow Akshay, thanks for taking the time buddy - truly appreciate your putting up the pics.

A big thank you to Abhinav as well for being so generous with his time and for sharing.
I missed two pics, the addition is the rear diffuser and the blacken-ing of the grill with the VRS badging
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-screen-shot-20150310-9.22.20-am.png  

My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications-screen-shot-20150310-9.21.46-am.png  

akshaystephen11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I missed two pics, the addition is the rear diffuser and the blacken-ing of the grill with the VRS badging
LOL, just noticed your faux Czech plates!!
Old 10th March 2015, 12:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Quote:
I had a friend pick it up from Prague
That's awesome. So I think if I buy it from sites like cars-equipment, I should also not face any customs issues. Or you think it had to do with the fact that your friend sent it to you on non-commercial basis? Also about the blackening of the front grille, did you get it wrapped or painted?
Old 10th March 2015, 15:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
That's awesome. So I think if I buy it from sites like cars-equipment, I should also not face any customs issues. Or you think it had to do with the fact that your friend sent it to you on non-commercial basis? Also about the blackening of the front grille, did you get it wrapped or painted?
Buying from Car-equipment is cool, u may or may not pay customs, depends on you luck man. I have ordered from their website a lot and have been charged once, the rest of the times I was lucky! And it doesnt matter how the item is send, as long as it comes from overseas it is screened in customs. I have heard they normally look at heavy items or the declared value on the box. The steering is total(with box) about 2Kgs.

The front grill is painted glossy black. Wrapping is not possible

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks