Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration Log - Fiat Palio 1.6L GTX

Just awesome work. The effort you took is just great and work done by FASS is also good.

Please post few photos of interiors as well.
Old 24th April 2015, 14:43   #17
BHPian

Thats a wonderful looking Palio. Loved the colour and the paint job.
Please do share photos of the interiors and the 1.6 beast.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

Thats exactly looking like a Gangsta car. Kudos for transforming the ugly duckling to an eye catching one. What about the interiors? is there a project underway to do a similar kind of transformation? I feel you should get some good looking alloys IMO. How's the performance post the change? Keep updating the thread.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Do they paint interiors as well? This is good since my Punto grey color interior theme sucks big time.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 15:13   #20
D4D
BHPian

That has to be the best Palio I've seen my entire life and by a fair margin. Terrific amount of work done to get her to top shape.

Congrats on acquiring such a beauty. Keep revving her and she'll make you smile like
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 15:20   #21
CPJ
BHPian

Amit,
That's an awesome ride you got there! My eyes would be definitely looking for this beauty on the streets of Pune.

Also would it be possible for you to share the cost of the restoration work? Especially asking for this as the work was done at FASS.

Drive Safe!
CPJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 15:23   #22
BHPian

Amit,
man that shade on your car - it's simply jaw-dropping. When you first cast your
eye's on it, it steals you of all your's words. Simply love that combination of matte
grey with red & black. GTX is a well-deserved car, Congratulations.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:47   #23
BHPian

Fantastic job, Amit! The car looks inspired, subtle with just the right amount of edgy and more than worth all the money it cost you to get it to look like this.
Waiting in anticipation for the interior photos!
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Looks Awesome

Congrats on completing the restoration. It really looks like a car straight out of Fast & Furious. There is suddenly a craze to own a GTX, this is the same kind of craze I witnessed for Baleno, OHC VTec, RD350, Roadking etc..

Even I have decided to restore my GTX, but it will be a slow and painful process as I have decided to gather all the parts first and then go in for the process of stripping/repaint. This will help me spread the cost over a year.

Question : Did you check the opportunity to install motorized headlight unit since you had removed the wiring. I believe the Motorized headlight wiring is different from post 2005 models.

Also did you upgrade to adventure brake at the front

Regards
Yes suddenly there is this palio craze. The reasons are simple. We indians hardly get to drive such mean machines. 1.6 NA DOHC, race inspired engine which gulps fuel and is tuned only for performance.
Adding to this is the precise hydraulic steering with heavy build and one of the best ride quality. All this we get in just 40-60k, add another 1.5 lacs and its brand new vehicle better than our modern generation cars.
The 1.6 is a hoot to drive in the city. 1st gear 50, 2nd 70, 3rd 127, 5th 190
the car shoots from standstill like a rocket. A well tuned 1.6 does 0-100 in under 10 seconds.
Fiat announced support for Palio owners and pumped in all the parts in abundance in the FASS, that is the main reason i too bought the GTX
I would not want the motorised headlights anyways, so did not procure them. I am planning to modify the headlights and also put integrated auxiliary driving lights within fabricated pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
The ride looks superb! Congrats Amit

If it is not asking for too much, please could you give a rough breakup of the costing and time taken for the entire process?

And yes, please do not forget the interior snaps. Some more pictures of how it looks under the hood now will be great too. Hope you do many miles will the GTX and it stays scratchless forever.
Thanks, The whole exercise costed me 90,000. The parts alone costed me 27000 which includes the cowl panel and the bottom part of it.
The paint is Dupont water based top quality ones which costs more than the usual 2k ones. The clear coat is also water based and hence costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The matte shade looks kickass!

How about the long term maintenance of matte shades? Since glossy panels require polishing and waxing for the mirror-finish like appearance, how about these? Any idea?

Congrats on whatever has been done so far and good luck with the rest of the restoration work!
The earlier trend was to just apply matte paint. This is matte base with smooth clear coat. If you touch it its just like normal paint and not rough like matte. So cleaning and maintaining is very easy.
You cannot use the normal rubbing polish or waxes. You easily get polishes for matte paint online. Also you can use meguiars quick detailer which you get off the shelf at 3m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Do they paint interiors as well? This is good since my Punto grey color interior theme sucks big time.
I have painted the centre consoles and grills. Not the whole dash. The centre console is deep gloss mirror finish black gloss. Grills are red, but not upto my taste right now.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Amit, car looks stunning!

How i wish that i had retained my Adventure and done it up i must say the work quality is top class!
Old 24th April 2015, 17:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Thanks, The whole exercise costed me 90,000. The parts alone costed me 27000 which includes the cowl panel and the bottom part of it.
90K for the the whole exercise

Here in Bangalore, Vecto Motors gave me a quote of 60K just for repainting that too without full strip/engine down and 80K plus for full monty

May be I should drive down to Pune and get it done

Regards
Old 24th April 2015, 17:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The paint is Dupont water based top quality ones which costs more than the usual 2k ones. The clear coat is also water based and hence costly.
90k for the entire excercise! This is unbelievable. With the amount of work done, complete stripping, glass re application etc. Especially knowing it was FASS I have to say this was a good deal. You changed the life of this GTX in under 1.5 lakhs (40k for the vehicle itself). Great job!
Old 24th April 2015, 17:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all, ok here goes the next surprise.
The 1596 cc goes out and the 1581 cc brand new box pack engine goes in. The 1596 is a small bore long stroke engine while the 1581 is the Big bore short stroke engine. This is a good candidate for a turbo add on too. It has turbo lines.

The 1581 is basically the Siena/ Siena weekend engine with BS2 configuration. To transplant this engine and match it to the 1596 ECU you need to fit the cam position sensor from 1596 onto the 1581. Additionally you have to change the knock sensor.
You cannot use the 1581 cc wire harness. I used the existing 1596cc harness.

I have also remapped the ECU and advanced the timing by 2 degrees. The 1581 cc is a very quick revving engine. Its a total fun to drive. I have also installed a 4X2X1 new FFE to match this 1581 cc. The exhaust pipes are 2" all over and has a huge expansion chamber to match the gas flow of the 1581.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
90k for the entire excercise! This is unbelievable. With the amount of work done, complete stripping, glass re application etc. Especially knowing it was FASS I have to say this was a good deal. You changed the life of this GTX in under 1.5 lakhs (40k for the vehicle itself). Great job!
Not really. I have spent a lot on this GTX. 45k the car. 5 k for the rear axle. Change of all engine belts etc 25k, painting 90k, another 30k here and there, new engine 60k. Exhaust etc 15k Roughly the expenditures hover above 2/ 2.25 lacs.

But with all this amount i have a brand new car that will serve me till eternity and till give me such an immense fun that a modern second hand swift or a polo etc wont even at double the cost.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 18:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I have spent a lot on this GTX. 45k the car. 5 k for the rear axle. Change of all engine belts etc 25k, painting 90k, another 30k here and there, new engine 60k. Exhaust etc 15k Roughly the expenditures hover above 2/ 2.25 lacs.
Ah, makes more sense now. I meant to ask all expenses incurred on the car initially. This makes things clear. A complete engine change as well. Wow!
2.25 - 3 Lakhs would be a good expensive for this sort of restoration. And the class of work done there surely adds to it.

Quote:
But with all this amount i have a brand new car that will serve me till eternity and till give me such an immense fun that a modern second hand swift or a polo etc wont even at double the cost.
Cant agree more. For a place like India I love the idea of getting a second hand car as cheap as possible (if its in a good condition, its the buyer's good luck) and spending on it with an open heart for its restoration. Exactly what you have done here.
navsjab is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed