Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 13:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!

It had to happen sooner or later! I tried my best not to do it so early and I tried my best to postpone it but it happened. This is probably the first 1.5 GT TDI remap documented on the web.

On a Thursday afternoon three of us reached Bay6 Bangalore in two cars, my Polo GT TDI and my friend's Vento 1.6 TDI. We had very simple plans get a down pipe with a freer flowing muffler and a remap.

By the time our rooms were arranged and a hailstorm was over it was late in the evening and we went to our rooms! But that didn't make the good guys at Bay6 to wind up and go home instead they stayed late and by the time we reached Bay6 by around 12 noon next day they had finished the downpipes and mufflers of both cars!! Awesome!!

The down pipe and the mufflers are a thing of beauty and its made very well all welding is TIG welding and the finish is good both on the inside and out.

Downpipe
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150424_170157.jpg

Muffler with SS body and packed with a material that doesn't burn.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150424_140507.jpg

Stock exhaust system has no flange there and its a one piece item. The flange was added so that this muffler can be removed and the stock can be fitted back if so desired.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150424_140601.jpg

List of things done on my Polo:
1) Turbo back down pipe in SS
2) Freer flowing mufflers in SS
3) EGR blanked
4) Code6 Remap to complement the above mods.

List of things done on the Vento:
2) Freer flowing muffler in SS
3) K&N stock replacement filter
4) EGR blanked
5) Code6 Remap to complement the above mods

The Polo has been completely transformed, gone is the weak first and second gears and the car feels very open and eager to rev. The linear nature of the 1.5 GT TDI motor is not lost it still has that linear acceleration but its much much quicker. It accelerates fast and if you don't look at the speedo you won't realise how fast you have reached silly speeds going through the gears! The sound is also nice and very good for a diesel motor.

We went for a drive with Sajan and his friends and did some random 0-100 timings on Vbox. It was my first time doing a 0-100 run ever in my life! As i had no prior experience with timing launches and for the fear of causing harm to my new car i didn't try as hard but managed a 10.5secs at the first try and did 10.1secs during my second try. My launches were far from perfect and someone with experience could have done better. On the Vento my friend was brave enough to not to stop at two runs and he did a few more 0-100 runs and ended up with 9.9secs as the best time.

My friend decided that he needed a clutch overhaul on Saturday evening and we had to drive out of Bangalore on Sunday early in the morning and I was apprehensive about doing that at the last hour. If the car wasn't ready in time our schedule will be out. The guys at Bay6 was confident of completing the job quickly if the part was available and once the availability of OEM part was confirmed they didn't waste time and the old clutch was out in no time, the new clutch came amidst the heavy downpour and that was installed back and the gearbox was remounted and the car was back on the ground! All in record time. Watching how the guys there worked on the Vento I now fail to understand why authorised service centers and some multibrand garages take half day to one day to do a clutch change?

On the drive back to Kerala both cars performed exceptionally and it was Fun! There is no drone on the inside due to the free flow muffler and the engine felt extremely smooth.

Big thanks to Sajan and his team at Bay6 - Joshi, Jeboy, Bala, Babu and rest of the crew at Bay6!

Last edited by Sankar : 29th April 2015 at 13:31.
Sankar is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 13:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

It had to happen sooner or later! I tried my best not to do it so early and I tried my best to postpone it but it happened. This is probably the first 1.5 GT TDI remap documented on the web.
Awesome change there Sankar . I can completely comprehend that urge to make an excellent machine, better.

You did mention that the drone in the cabin is quite controlled, but any feedback on the outside noise. I have never heard or read of anybody altering the 'Down-pipe' & exhaust on a Diesel engine.

Also, can you please provide a breakup of the cost involved in the entire setup ?

Drive Safe and wish you trouble-free mile munching.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 14:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Awesome change there Sankar . I can completely comprehend that urge to make an excellent machine, better.

You did mention that the drone in the cabin is quite controlled, but any feedback on the outside noise. I have never heard or read of anybody altering the 'Down-pipe' & exhaust on a Diesel engine.

Also, can you please provide a breakup of the cost involved in the entire setup ?

Drive Safe and wish you trouble-free mile munching.
Thanks Vik0728 There is no drone inside the cabin! I was told VAG CR engines sound relatively sweet (for a Diesel) with a nicely matched exhaust and it is true, the sound at high revs is almost petrol engine like. Since its not easy describing how it sounds i will try to take and upload a video of the same.

I do not want to discuss pricing on this thread, but let me assure you that its competitive and matches what others are charging. They have remap centers at Bangalore and Cochin; but exhaust and related mods is done only at Bangalore.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Sankar

Excellent job done. Please share the approximate cost incurred for the pipe and map of the polo if you dont mind

R
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 18:51   #5
BHPian

Hi Sankar.

I have a query-Your ride is a Polo GT Tdi with a DSG automatic gearbox is it not? In one another forum i had read that this gearbox cannot take more torque than what it is already handling and hence this engine-gearbox combo is not good for modifications. Is this true and have you factored this in?

How much of a bump in bhp and torque has come with this modification?
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hi Sankar.

I have a query-Your ride is a Polo GT Tdi with a DSG automatic gearbox is it not? In one another forum i had read that this gearbox cannot take more torque than what it is already handling and hence this engine-gearbox combo is not good for modifications. Is this true and have you factored this in?

The GT TDI is a manual transmission and not a DSG. DSG is available on the Rapid and Vento or the Petrol 1.2 TSI.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice to see such a thread - Sankar, stellar work!

Would you like to consider a larger intercooler as part of a future upgrade phase? You should get another 5-10% bump up in figures. Of course, you will want to keep an eye out on the limits of the gearbox.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:45   #8

Excellent job !! Just 1 question, Post modification is the 1.5 TDi as free revving as the 1.6, or can we still feel the difference between the two.
bhimani.mohak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
It had to happen sooner or later
The down pipe and the mufflers are a thing of beauty and its made very well all welding is TIG welding and the finish is good both on the inside and out.

The flange was added so that this muffler can be removed and the stock can be fitted back
Looks beautiful no doubt. My knowledge of injected turbo diesels is... shall I say growing, but the job and the finish look out of the world, or should I say country?

Was the system entirely designed by Bay6 or did you provide any directions there?

Easily one of the best jobs I've seen in recent times - always thought knowledgeable, skilled, dependable (and cost effective) workmanship was a thing of the past.

Quote:
I do not want to discuss pricing on this thread
I don't see the harm, but it's your prerogative.

Good luck!
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 20:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
List of things done on my Polo:
2) Freer flowing mufflers in SS
3) EGR blanked
4) Code6 Remap to complement the above mods.

List of things done on the Vento:
2) Freer flowing muffler in SS
3) K&N stock replacement filter
4) EGR blanked
5) Code6 Remap to complement the above mods.
Congratulations, Sankar, that sounds like a fabulous upgrade!

And I completely agree with you on the sporty sound when pushed - I get that even with a stock exhaust.

Couple of queries:
- What does SS mean?
- What was EGR blanked? Doesn't that mean the EGR no longer functions? Did you also get rid of the catalytic converter? What about the impact on your car's emissions?
- Could you share the reasons behind choosing Code6 ECU remap, instead of the other popular options, say, Pete's.
- Do you have a sense of how much performance you were able to extract out of this? How much came from the remap, and how much from the exhausts?
- I know others have asked too, but would be great if you could share the costs, with a breakup please. I'm assuming the costs for the exhaust and remap would be the same for the Polo & the Vento (I have a 1.6 TDI Vento).

Thanks!

Last edited by bosporus : 30th April 2015 at 20:52.
bosporus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Sankar

Excellent job done. Please share the approximate cost incurred for the pipe and map of the polo if you dont mind

R
Thanks 53BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hi Sankar.

The bump in power would be in the range of around 35-40WHP and torque around 70-80NM.
The GT TDI has a manual gearbox, no DSG. I wouldn't go near a DQ200 mated to a TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Very nice to see such a thread - Sankar, stellar work!

Would you like to consider a larger intercooler as part of a future upgrade phase? You should get another 5-10% bump up in figures. Of course, you will want to keep an eye out on the limits of the gearbox.
Thanks Mahesh! The work is awesome, very nicely done! A larger intercooler is not on the plans for now as its a street tune. But it should help reduce the charge temperature and EGT in an aggressive tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhimani.mohak View Post
Excellent job !! Just 1 question, Post modification is the 1.5 TDi as free revving as the 1.6, or can we still feel the difference between the two.
The 1.5 is also very free revving like the 1.6, and its a lot more linear also. Some prefer the punchy nature of the 1.6 but the 1.5 is definitely not slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Looks beautiful no doubt. My knowledge of injected turbo diesels is... shall I say growing, but the job and the finish look out of the world, or should I say country?

Was the system entirely designed by Bay6 or did you provide any directions there?

Easily one of the best jobs I've seen in recent times - always thought knowledgeable, skilled, dependable (and cost effective) workmanship was a thing of the past.
I didn't have to provide any instruction to Bay6, knowing how they would go about the work i didn't have anything to worry and mine was not the first VAG TDI they were building the downpipe and exhaust for. I was sleeping in my hotel room while the work was being done. If it was any other place i would be staying with the car when it was being done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Congratulations, Sankar, that sounds like a fabulous upgrade!

And I completely agree with you on the sporty sound when pushed - I get that even with a stock exhaust.

Couple of queries:
- What does SS mean?
- What was EGR blanked? Doesn't that mean the EGR no longer functions? Did you also get rid of the catalytic converter? What about the impact on your car's emissions?
- Could you share the reasons behind choosing Code6 ECU remap, instead of the other popular options, say, Pete's.
- Do you have a sense of how much performance you were able to extract out of this? How much came from the remap, and how much from the exhausts?
- I know others have asked too, but would be great if you could share the costs, with a breakup please. I'm assuming the costs for the exhaust and remap would be the same for the Polo & the Vento (I have a 1.6 TDI Vento).

Thanks!
Thanks bosporous!
- SS for stainless steel.
- EGR function was disabled in the ECU map and a metal plate used to blank it off.
- Around another 35-40WHP and 70-80NM of torque. Dyno run of Code6 remapped cars are available on another forum with wheel horse power figures. The figures on a Rapid 1.6 TDI were around 143WHP and 350NM. (I have heard that RRP guys have relocated their Dyno from bangalore recently).
- I had a Swift which was remapped by Code6 and i was extremely happy with their map and the service so it was a natural choice for me to go back to them with the GT TDI! The maps are also customised!
- How exhaust and downpipe helps in making the power is how they help in controlling the EGT and help make reliable power. Similar power levels are possible without doing exhaust or downpipe modifications but EGT would be higher.
- Cost of exhaust and remap is same for Polo and Vento.

Guys, i do not wish to discuss the pricing on this thread . Please contact Bay6/Code6 over phone or email or facebook to get the pricing. They have standardised rates and give proper invoice.

Last edited by Sankar : 1st May 2015 at 11:44.
Old 1st May 2015, 15:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

After I put this thread up I realised that I have not provided the contact details of Bay6/Code6. The details are as below.

Bay6 Motorworks
Hosa Rd Kasavanahalli
074113 81001

http://www.code6.in/
https://www.facebook.com/Code6Tuning

I have new found respect for Apollo Alnac 4G which came on the car from the factory. On the high speed highway runs they offered very good road holding and handled emergency braking very well. I was considering upgrading to better tyres but i think i will hold on for now and do it once these wear out.

Dyno report of a Rapid done by Code6. Since i do not have dyno graphs for my car Mi10's Rapid dyno run will give you an indication as to whats possible. I believe this was with stock exhaust system.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3388524

Last edited by Sankar : 1st May 2015 at 15:33.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The bump in power would be in the range of around 35-40WHP and torque around 70-80NM.
That's an impressive bump in power, especially if that's the figure at the wheel.

Quote:
EGR function was disabled in the ECU map and a metal plate used to blank it off.
Sorry, in my previous question, I meant why was EGR disabled? I'd read somewhere that it slightly reduces engine efficiency, but did you get a sense of how much this would help? Also, since it reduces NOx emissions, did they compensate for that in some other way?

Quote:
How exhaust and downpipe helps in making the power is how they help in controlling the EGT and help make reliable power. Similar power levels are possible without doing exhaust or downpipe modifications but EGT would be higher..
How can the exhaust & downpipes control the EGT? Isn't EGT more of a monitoring tool? If possible, could you elaborate on this please.

Though, in my limited understanding, a free flowing exhaust could in fact lead to performance gains. And, forget performance; if all you achieved from this is a sweeter engine note, I say, kudos!

On a separate note, by any chance, was the catalytic convertor also removed during this mod?

Quote:
Guys, i do not wish to discuss the pricing on this thread
Personally, I feel that on a forum where we all learn from each other's shared experiences, of which, price is an important factor, I don't see why anyone should not share prices, but, am sure you have your reasons, and it's certainly your prerogative.

I have written to them and will share prices with the community once I hear back from them.
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I have written to them and will share prices with the community once I hear back from them.

I like that you have contacted them for pricing and details. That was my intention.
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Big thanks to Sajan and his team at Bay6 - Joshi, Jeboy, Bala, Babu and rest of the crew at Bay6!
Very nice.
I mailed Bay6 for a down pipe for my 2008 Swift D, but no one replied to my mail. Do you have any conact number for Bay6 people ?

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd May 2015 at 03:56. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability for our small screen users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks