Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 20:51   #61
BHPian

Re: The local Auto Accessory shop - A declining business

Hi All, Is there a thread in TeamBHP which lists the latest deals on Car/Bike accessories in various place (online/offline)???

I want a place like ...

Amazon selling bike covers at great prices .. <link>

OR

25% off on Automobile cleaning accessories on Flipkart.

OR

3M offering the famous monsoon bonanza for car detailers.
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:28   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, it is 5 years since this thread came up, but I can tell you that some accessory shops are still thriving! And how. This area (Shivaji Park) has actually seen more accessory shops open up.

Check out what I shot on Saturday. Baffles the mind as I don't remember the last time I walked into one + stock cars are so well-loaded these days + the car dealer usually throws in mats and freebies.

The local Auto Accessory shop - A declining business-annotation-20200302-142632.png
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, it is 5 years since this thread came up, but I can tell you that some accessory shops are still thriving! And how. This area (Shivaji Park) has actually seen more accessory shops open up.

Check out what I shot on Saturday. Baffles the mind as I don't remember the last time I walked into one + stock cars are so well-loaded these days + the car dealer usually throws in mats and freebies.

Attachment 1975772
There are good chunk of buyers who stick to lower and mid variants. Majority of the sales in India are driven by cars south of 15lac and a lot of them are base and mid variants. These are good enough number for these shops to thrive. Not to forget there are also customers who want to keep their older cars updated.
Profit margins are fat.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:41   #64
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's also because most people who aren't capable of DIY cannot install the products that they buy for cheap themselves. In the end most of them go to these very accessory shops to install stuff who then make money by charging them a decent amount for the installation work which I think is fair. Normally when you buy from the accessory shops, installation is generally free or greater subsidised or only consumables and wiring is charged.

Generally buying cheap online and then paying for installation works out more expensive than directly getting it from the accessory shop which is why they are still doing decent business. Also with the rapid increase in car costs the trend of buying a lower/mid variant and then getting it upgraded in the aftermarket is becoming popular again. Most of the "desirable" stuff is only available in the top end or the top "+++++++++++++ ZYX cool cool" variant
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

What took me by surprise is that Two 3M care care dealers in East Bangalore ( Marathalli and Whitefield) shut shop in the last 2-3 months! I was always under the impression that these guys made good margins, but I guess I was wrong! Im not sure if there is an issue in general with all 3M dealers or just these two, but the closure did take me by surprise.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 09:18   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
What took me by surprise is that Two 3M care care dealers in East Bangalore ( Marathalli and Whitefield) shut shop in the last 2-3 months! I was always under the impression that these guys made good margins, but I guess I was wrong! Im not sure if there is an issue in general with all 3M dealers or just these two, but the closure did take me by surprise.
They definitely had good margins, but the business never looked sustainable. With every Tom, Dick and Harry getting into the detailing business nowadays, and with car sales coming down, these places hardly have customers. Even the one in Basavanagudi shut down and they werent doing well from start itself. A few months back I had booked a doorstep service from 3M and during my talk with the guys who had come, they told that in store walk ins had dropped after the initial days. All they had in their kitty was corporate connections(3M Dollars colony operates a mobile service van and our entire corporate fleet of more than 100 premium cars is detailed regularly by them) and those who depended upon walk in customers suffered.

Major difference between 3M and the other detailers is how they handle the customers. A lot of detailers are popular among their own circles and get many customers through referrals, while they also maintain repeat customers. For 3M, it was their brand value which was the USP. Sometimes, between brand value offered by 3M and the trust offered by a detailer who is known to you, the latter wins. Thats what happened I feel.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th March 2020 at 09:36.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 09:28   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Major difference between 3M and the other detailers is how they handle the customers. A lot of detailers are popular among their own circles and get many customers through referrals, while they also maintain repeat customers. For 3M, it was their brand value which was the USP. Sometimes, between brand value offered by 3M and the trust offered by a detailer who is known to you, the latter wins. Thats what happened I feel.
One more reason for the non-profitability of 3M francise from what i heard is that the company pushes them to stock onto a lot of raw materials which means that the store has to purchase a lot more stuff at one shot from 3M that what it needs. I do not know how much is 'a lot' but it must be significant to eat into the capital .
Old 5th November 2021, 17:01   #68
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Mods, if it is not, please delete this post.

I reside in Borivali (West), Mumbai. Can anyone here who is from around here suggest me Car Accessory shops in Borivali where I can get quote of several accessories for my booked car. I want to compare prices with dealer price and take decision accordingly as to where to get which accessory.
Old 5th November 2021, 19:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Mods, if it is not, please delete this post.

I reside in Borivali (West), Mumbai. Can anyone here who is from around here suggest me Car Accessory shops in Borivali where I can get quote of several accessories for my booked car. I want to compare prices with dealer price and take decision accordingly as to where to get which accessory.
I bought my car when I was in Mumbai. Got my mats, seat covers and touch screen head unit from below place in Malad West which is not far from Borivali.

The owner is a nice guy and has most of the required accessories.

Popular Tyres & Accessories
099672 41876
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CytSowdcDCEfbPoN7
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 20:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
All 3M Car Care stores are now closed in Gurgaon as well, with the final 5th one shutting down quite recently, it’s not the detailing business (which is always in demand) but their inability to maintain quality and ensure consistent and uniform results across their franchisees.

What’s worse for them is, the franchisee simply removes their board, terminates the franchise agreement, stops paying all royalty fees and puts their own board up and continues as they already have the customer base, manpower, inventory and technical know how. In effect, 3M has ended up creating its own competition that can provide the same level of service at lower prices as they don’t have to pay royalties and suffer under the inventory quota system 3M had.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:49   #71
BHPian

Just back from the various car accessory shop near Chamunda Circle in Borivali (west) and got quotes for various accessories from them for my car (only booked yet).

Not surprisingly, I saw at least 3 brand new cars (ribbon and plastic on seats) parked there which were getting their work done from various shops there. My brother had warned me that the shop owners will not entertain me much as I didn't have car with me and I wasn't an immediate customer. He also told me that there will still be bargain possible when we go to shop and get stuff actually installed. But luckily, shop owners did help me with price quotes.

I had no idea of how pricing of accessories go but I was surprised to see that all accessories I am planning to install in my car are less than 50% of what Maruti quotes. In some cases, it is 20% of the price of MGA. Example is rear view camera which Maruti's website quotes 4990 and dealer told me 5500 (I wonder why) and lowest quote I got in stores here is Rs. 900. I don't think the maruti camera is 500% better to ask me 5K INR.

The only accessories I saw that are somewhat near to Maruti prices were seat covers which I am planning to get it done from Maruti itself.

Maruti quotes 10K for DRL in S-Presso which costs 2K and under outside. For little more I can have fog lights + DRL and even DRL working with turn indicators.

They also told me there will be no warranty loss as everything is plug and play and no wire cutting and such happens.

Seeing all these rates, I am sure that unless dealer is offering me 15k accessories for free (as he gave verbal commitment) without any "natak", I will buy some from him and rest from outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks