Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 17:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT

Hi Guys,
Even I own a Grand Vitara 2.0 AT. Can anyone suggest me simple and minor modifications which can result in better power and fuel economy. Though I get close to 9 kmpl overall I would like it to be more fuel efficient and a bit more powerful.
Old 28th May 2015, 20:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
Even I own a Grand Vitara 2.0 AT. Can anyone suggest me simple and minor modifications which can result in better power and fuel economy. Though I get close to 9 kmpl overall I would like it to be more fuel efficient and a bit more powerful.
I think 9kmpl is a very decent FE overall since the GV is a full time 4wd vehicle. I would just say that in the quest to maginally bump up the FE and power figures, dont let the rock solid reliability go for a toss.

From what i have gathered from the forum, the basic mods would be to add a K&N filter and go for a Free Flow Exhaust (FFE). Minor power gains and slightly better breating. You can get the FFE designed for improving low end torque and also can keep it silent without the usual sound thats associated with a FFE (personal opinion - i dont prefer the sound)

Or you can try getting a tuning box though i am not sure whether it is available for petrol engines.

Experts can suggest better.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 03:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

K&N filter and an FFE really won't make much of a difference. If what I read from stuntfreak's post is right, he is actually achieving higher mileage figures and like I mentioned earlier, these engines are rock solid and reliable I am pretty sure you will not encounter many reliability issues in the search for a little more power
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Or you can try getting a tuning box though i am not sure whether it is available for petrol engines.

Cheers,
Raj

Initially there was a tri state switch boxes available for petrol cars, it was claiming to fool the ECU and improve the throttle response. These are not available anymore.

For automatic cars a free flow and CAI would not really do much. The low mileage was common to Grand Vitara, could be related to the driving styles. There is not really much you can do in a auto, than to have a light foot.

Did the GV come with a locking hubs? full time 4WD itself would drink a lot of juice.

Pramod
Old 29th May 2015, 14:32   #20
BHPian

Awesome stuff. Very impressive doing all the work in your own.
Were you running the turbo without the piggyback?
2.4l engine could use a bigger turbo gt28rs maybe ?
But cheers on the build.
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:55   #21
BHPian

A few pointers for you to improve this build.
*Check Turbo size
*Boost levels
*Turbo header diameter
*Intercooler mounting
*Length of plumbing/exhaust dimensions etc

People usually make a common mistake of just plonking a turbo to an engine and mating parts, it doesnt work that way. Although you will indeed get some gains in power over stock, the hidden potential remains hidden!
Turbo charging is not about solving the parts puzzle. Everybody knows what forms a turbo build - Manifold - turbo - WG - plumbing - intercooler - BOV - Intake - ECU - injectors - etc etc.
First and most important part is to study your turbo compressor map and then measure the peak efficiency point to suit your engine capacity. Then sizing the rest of the build and last but not least, setting reliable boost levels and a perfect tune to not end up cooking the internals yet making good power.
Hope this helps. All the best Hemank!
fieroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 17:54   #22
BHPian

At 0.75 Bar (Set the waste Gate) I've successfully re programmed the EXISTING ECU to produce approximately 35% excess power. This has been calculated NOT on a DYNO, but on Acceleration timings from 0-100. Since It's an Automatic Transmission, Very less errors can occur on Shifting. Hence the Results are purely on the Engine Side.

Hi Stuntfreak,
Can you please tell me how to re program the existing ECU in Grand Vitara and where to get it done from. I own Grand Vitara 2.0 AT and even I want to bump up the power output to the maximum possible without going in for too much of modifications.

I have already installed stock replacement K&N air filter. Now I want to go for ECU remap and free flow exhaust. I inquired with a reputed garage at Hyderabad for ECU remap and he quoted Rs. 20,000/- for the kit. If at all the existing ECU can be remapped or re programmed I would like to do that and save Rs. 20,000/-. Please give me tips to improve my car's power output.

I am not in for a turbocharger or any such big modifications but I am ok with ECU remap, spark plug upgrades, free flow exhaust etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th December 2015, 21:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
At 0.75 Bar (Set the waste Gate) I've successfully re programmed the EXISTING ECU to produce approximately 35% excess power. This has been calculated NOT on a DYNO, but on Acceleration timings from 0-100. Since It's an Automatic Transmission, Very less errors can occur on Shifting. Hence the Results are purely on the Engine Side.

Hi Stuntfreak,
Can you please tell me how to re program the existing ECU in Grand Vitara and where to get it done from. I own Grand Vitara 2.0 AT and even I want to bump up the power output to the maximum possible without going in for too much of modifications.

I have already installed stock replacement K&N air filter. Now I want to go for ECU remap and free flow exhaust. I inquired with a reputed garage at Hyderabad for ECU remap and he quoted Rs. 20,000/- for the kit. If at all the existing ECU can be remapped or re programmed I would like to do that and save Rs. 20,000/-. Please give me tips to improve my car's power output.

I am not in for a turbocharger or any such big modifications but I am ok with ECU remap, spark plug upgrades, free flow exhaust etc.

Thanks in advance.
I changed my spark plugs recently to Iridium. Go for iridium spark plugs. They improve drivability of the engine tremendously.
After a lot of research I decided against K&N filters. Just changed the filter to a new paper type.
Full oil & fluids change helps a lot. I used Shell synthetic engine oil. Also insisted on a change of the AT box oil. It has helped a lot in smoothening out the AT gearshifts.

The vehicle is now free revving. I found that mashing the accelerator now gives excellent pickup.

Do the basic changes and then decide whether you need more power. Bear in mind that any add-ons like turbo etc will compromise the reliability.

2L AT is more than adequate for serious off-roading. See the threads in the 4x4 excursions section.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey stuntfreak,

Congratulations on making one of the most loved SUV even better. A turbocharged Grand Vitara is a perfect package. Both the J20 and J24 have a lot of potential. How many kms have you clocked after the installation of the turbo? If i am not wrong yours is the only turbocharged Vitara in India.

Asit
Old 25th February 2016, 00:26   #25

Hey stuntfreak

I must say i am thoroughly impressed by your work.
Even i live in pune and i would love to get in contact with you and learn some mechanical cat stuff from you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks