Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 16:05   #1
BHPian

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT

Hello Everyone,

Just added a little boost to my Grand Vitara 4WD AT. Well its a nice car, just wanted to make it better.

Step 1: Purchases

Bought the Following items
GT25 turbo
Al Intercooler
Oil cooler
Banjo bolts, couplings, and flexible oil lines
SS pipes, 63 and 49mm dia.
SS Elbow Bends
8mm EN9 Plate
Hardened Fasteners
Hose pipes and Hose Clips
Wide Band O2 Kit - AEM
Boost Gauge
Heat Shield Material

Step 2:
Removed the Entire OEM Exhaust system until the Rear Muffler
Manufactured the Flange plates for the headers and turbo. Had the Flange profiles Wire cut from the 8mm plate.

Step 3: Fabricated the headers using 49mm SS Bends
Fabricated the Exhaust Downpipe from the turbo to the Rear Muffler. (Yes I used the Stock Rear muffler to keep it a little soft.)

Fabricated the Pressure side pipe as follows.
Turbo Outlet to Intercooler, to the Throttle body. Just before the Throttle Body, added a Blow off Valve.

On the suction side, SS piping, along with a flexible Hose of 8 inches length to provide relative movement as the Suction side is mounted on the Body.

The MAF sensor is mounted right before the Cold air Intake Filter I used pointed to pull in Cold air from the Grill.

The Turbo is lubricated using the Engine's Oil Pressure from the Oil service line. The pressure is controlled using a flow control Valve mounted in Series.

The Return oil line is routed through the Oil cooler and into the Oil Sump through a non return valve.

The ECU, Battery, A/C lines, Wiring Harness, Coolant and Fuel lines have been re routed to Optimize space for the turbo and to save them from getting burnt.

At 0.75 Bar (Set the waste Gate) I've successfully re programmed the EXISTING ECU to produce approximately 35% excess power. This has been calculated NOT on a DYNO, but on Acceleration timings from 0-100. Since It's an Automatic Transmission, Very less errors can occur on Shifting. Hence the Results are purely on the Engine Side.

The Entire Car has been built in my own Non Commercial 'Made for Fun' Car Modification facility (which I use to build my own and friends Hobby Fun and Awesome cars.

Cheers Guys.

PS: Greddy, Coilovers, and Brakes are on their way.. Enjoy the pictures.

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430908383.246914.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430908478.552141.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430908503.835646.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430908523.807392.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0189.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0190.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0191.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0192.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0193.jpg

Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT-img_0194.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Spacing :)
stuntfreak is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 10:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Turbo install: Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD AT

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 21st May 2015, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great work there stuntfreak. How are the results? Reason I am asking is I am attempting a similar project on an Automatic SUV and was keen to know if it all works fine. Is the Turbo working efficiently enough?
Old 21st May 2015, 16:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Great work there stuntfreak. How are the results? Reason I am asking is I am attempting a similar project on an Automatic SUV and was keen to know if it all works fine. Is the Turbo working efficiently enough?
I'm using stock pistons, thus I've reduced the boost down to .75 Bar. But its running quite efficient while also delivering higher power when needed. Actually returns me higher Gas mileage than before. Got a Piggyback Greddy ECU. A friend helped me tune it. Runs great.
Old 21st May 2015, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Awesome! Any reliability issues you faced after the turbo upgrade? Could you also please share the financials involved?
Old 21st May 2015, 17:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
I'm using stock pistons, thus I've reduced the boost down to .75 Bar. But its running quite efficient while also delivering higher power when needed. Actually returns me higher Gas mileage than before. Got a Piggyback Greddy ECU. A friend helped me tune it. Runs great.
Thanks for the information stuntfreak. Was the Greddy piggyback ECU specific to the Vitara?

Are you intending to check the performance on a dyno? Would be great to hear the beast. Please try posting a video.
Old 21st May 2015, 17:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Awesome! Any reliability issues you faced after the turbo upgrade? Could you also please share the financials involved?
Reliability I can't really say anything to that right away, because I've just installed it a few days ago.
It costed me about 1.5L to complete the full setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Thanks for the information stuntfreak. Was the Greddy piggyback ECU specific to the Vitara?

Are you intending to check the performance on a dyno? Would be great to hear the beast. Please try posting a video.
Yes I intend to Dyno it soon. The Greddy isnt for the Vitara.
Old 21st May 2015, 21:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Having a Kizashi, I know that the J24B block in the Kizashi, is rated to handle power of a little upwards of 500 horses. Being derived from the Grand Vitara's engine, I'm sure this car should remain reliable and comfortably spit out this much power. Doesn't the automatic box sap a lot of power? Is it able to put it on the road?

Also, could you please share some more pictures of your car as well as perhaps some info on how much things costed and whether you ran into any issues during the build.

Cheers!
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Having a Kizashi, I know that the J24B block in the Kizashi, is rated to handle power of a little upwards of 500 horses. Being derived from the Grand Vitara's engine, I'm sure this car should remain reliable and comfortably spit out this much power. Doesn't the automatic box sap a lot of power? Is it able to put it on the road?

Also, could you please share some more pictures of your car as well as perhaps some info on how much things costed and whether you ran into any issues during the build.

Cheers!
Hi, thanks for your input. The car is a 4 speed auto, and that's the problem. The car is very inefficient and sluggish below 40 kmph. This is what made me put a turbo on it. And now it's doing just fine. My purpose of the turbo wasnt for racing, but for a slight increase in power and efficiency. It's doing the job really well. I did come across major issues while building the vehicle. Relocating the Fuel lines being one of them. Also there was an issue getting the correct amount of oil pressure on the turbo. I also ceased one turbo bearing while testing. Replaced it with another. Still working on fine tuning. I think it'll take me another month to get the car just right, as I want it to. That's when I'm planning to drive it to Leh

About pictures, I'm sorry really click very less pics while working as A My hands are all Greasy, and B: Not too much of a Picture all the time fan. Really Sorry I cant put WIP pictures, but will help with some testing videos once I get the tuning right
stuntfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice stuff Stuntfreak. I know it'll be too early to comment on anything but kudos for starting something like this. Please keep updating the thread with your findings and tunings.

And to end with the most asked question, 'kitna deti hai' post the turbo mod as its known to be a guzzler.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very nice project! Would have been super cool if you did this on the old V6 Vitara. I have a small suggestion to make regarding the oil cooler placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
The Return oil line is routed through the Oil cooler and into the Oil Sump through a non return valve.
Wouldn't it have been better if you placed the cooler using an oil cooler adapter plate on a separate line instead of the one which feeds the turbo? I believe you are taking the turbo oil feed from that adapter plate and thats why you are using a flow control valve to reduce the flow to the turbo. Also isn't a direct path to the sump advisable after turbo so that there's nothing to choke the flow of oil from turbo to sump, wouldn't the cooler impede oil draining into the sump when the engine is OFF and oil is no longer being pumped.
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Very nice project! Would have been super cool if you did this on the old V6 Vitara. I have a small suggestion to make regarding the oil cooler placement.

Wouldn't it have been better if you placed the cooler using an oil cooler adapter plate on a separate line instead of the one which feeds the turbo? I believe you are taking the turbo oil feed from that adapter plate and thats why you are using a flow control valve to reduce the flow to the turbo. Also isn't a direct path to the sump advisable after turbo so that there's nothing to choke the flow of oil from turbo to sump, wouldn't the cooler impede oil draining into the sump when the engine is OFF and oil is no longer being pumped.
Hey, nice points there:

I am taking oil feed from the service line. A direct path is recommended in terms of oil flow delay. But dumping in hot oil from the turbo is not exactly excellent. Why not cool it before putting it back in the oil pan? When it comes to Time, there is no loss, as the extra oil in the system (Oil lines and oil cooler). compensates for it. There is no pressure drop as the oil lines are oversized and so is the oil cooler. I believe this should be okay. Any professional suggestions are welcome though.

Thanks a lot

Hemank
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Nice stuff Stuntfreak. I know it'll be too early to comment on anything but kudos for starting something like this. Please keep updating the thread with your findings and tunings.

And to end with the most asked question, 'kitna deti hai' post the turbo mod as its known to be a guzzler.

Cheers,
Raj
Hello Raj, You shall be surprised, 'actually jyada deti hai' ! Believe it or not, driving with a light foot on the throttle, and revving between 1.5 - 4.5k rpm, has returned 12-15% higher fuel economy than before. I personally feel, lower torque demand makes the vehicle shift earlier (as the throttle position is lesser than in NA) and thus the vehicle returns higher fuel efficiency.

Thanks

Hemank
stuntfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 22:05   #14
BHPian

Hi Hemank,

Great to see someone do it all on their own. I was itching to so too, but because of the lack of proper knowledge and tools sought help from a few tuners. Few questions about your build:

1.) Was it easy to re-program the stock ECU?
2.) Have you looked at installing a transmission cooler, can probably run 1 bar safely then?
3.) Joel from raceconcepts told me that installing the intercooler the way you have, with the exit at the top, will result in a loss of velocity of the cooled charge, thus negating the benefit of the shorter piping. Any observations on this?

I really wish you all the best, and hope it all fall in place perfectly before your Leh trip.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post

3.) Joel from raceconcepts told me that installing the intercooler the way you have, with the exit at the top, will result in a loss of velocity of the cooled charge, thus negating the benefit of the shorter piping. Any observations on this? .
I also had similar setup. But it was done due to 'apparent space' constraints. I guess, the air has to go down, spread out, cool and push up at the exit. Some HP may be lost. Joles suggestion was either inlet and outlet in the bottom, or in the middle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks