Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 16:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread

The best part is, the later model santros have the exact same door and latch assemblies..you may be able to replace those with ease, if the doors are rusted beyond repair..
Old 12th August 2015, 17:35   #32
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
There is a mistake I made in the post, the car is a 2003 December model, years got mixed up as my other car is a 2001 model!
Are you sure this is a December 2003 model? I have a September 2003 model (still going strong ) and by then Hyundai had rolled out the Xing in place of Zip Plus. Just checked on Wikipedia and they confirm that the Xing was rolled out in 2013.

(Extract from the site: In 2003, the first generation was replaced with the second generation Atos Prime, marketed in India as the Santro Xing, which enjoyed great sales success.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyunda..._India_Limited
Old 12th August 2015, 19:45   #33
BHPian

I have a Dec-2003 example and it is a Xing. Xing had been on sale for sometime when I bought it.

All the best for the restoration folks! Will take a lot of BST and TLC to get it back to its glory
rlakhanpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 19:48   #34
BHPian

Pretty Impressive mate. You folks might have been motivated by the show "Pimp my (own) ride"
RedDevil_KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 20:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Are you sure this is a December 2003 model? I have a September 2003 model (still going strong ) and by then Hyundai had rolled out the Xing in place of Zip Plus. Just checked on Wikipedia and they confirm that the Xing was rolled out in 2013.

(Extract from the site: In 2003, the first generation was replaced with the second generation Atos Prime, marketed in India as the Santro Xing, which enjoyed great sales success.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyunda..._India_Limited
Hi adu and rlakhanpal, apologies on the wrong month mention! When I checked the RC during the time of purchase, I've only took a fast glance at it since it was already been verified by my brother. When I read it myself, the "Paid To" date was the one that caught my eye! Somehow I automatically assumed it was Dec 2003 as the "Paid to" date is Dec 2017! Please find the photograph below to understand my mistake! I request the moderators to correct the mistake I made.
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-reg.jpg

Thank you so much BHPians, we're both overwhelmed
Old 12th August 2015, 20:58   #36
adu
BHPian

Look forward to regular updates on how the restoration goes.
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 08:07   #37
BHPian

This model of the santro is one car which never caught my attention because of its weird looks, but this thread has caught all my attention now.As already posted by many, Hyundai can take this as a case study after you finish.
Being a Hyundai Getting original Parts to replace the engine and fuel system components should be costly.
spanner777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 10:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant Job (underway) guys!
I have a 2k2 Zip too, but running. I'm glued to this thread, could be a good Haynes manual for the santro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner777 View Post
Being a Hyundai Getting original Parts to replace the engine and fuel system components should be costly.
Er, no.
Who told you that?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 12:57   #39
BHPian

I mean .. WOW !
What were the chances of finding similar nuts
I have been contemplating restoring a '98 M800 myself - though it is still in salvageable condition .. and as a 80K+ santro driver, I am truly impressed with you brothers' project.

Glued? Oh Yes sire !
Inspired - definitely.
Manas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 13:37   #40
BHPian

Wow! very interesting thread! Will keep following this for updates. All the best, and hope to see her in top shape soon!

One quick thought. If I look at this car, it is almost the same age as my old Santro. Of course unlike the earlier owners of this car, we have been using it almost on a daily basis. Amazing to see how much difference it makes if one just leaves the vehicle exposed to the elements just like that, for a few years.

The question is on the rust on the floor, etc. How does so much rust accumulate, I wonder, considering that usually we never attempt to do anything to the floor and many parts of the car from a maintenance perspective... we just use the car, dont we? Its not as if we lift the floormats once in a few months to check for rust !!
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 14:15   #41
BHPian

Amazing project indeed!! Kudos to both of you for taking up a car in such a condition for revival. Your passion towards machines is really inspirational.

We too have a May 2002 Santro Zip Plus that is our first car. It is maintained quite well all these years. From your efforts seen here, I am getting inspired to spruce it up a little by fitting new seat-covers, new floor mats, new gear-lever-cover, new steering wheel cover, internal/exterior polishing etc. It will be a good surprise for my father when he comes back from three months vacation he is on.
RishikeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:22   #42
BHPian

Pretty impressed.

started my maths to rejuvenate my 2001 Santro, which need few cosmetics. your project might help me.
pavan_6818 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 18:00   #43
BHPian

One hell of a restoration project.
Kudos for trying to resurrect the santro of such a conditions.
Glued to it!
Good luck!
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 18:04   #44
BHPian

Great Project Guys. Really impressed with the kind of motivation you have got to make a dead horse alive. I am sure many of us want to do the same but do not have the kind of patience or guts or both to take something even similar. We all mostly live in the era of use and throw and make our problem some one else's.
I agree to the opinion of most members on the excuses given by the previous owner. What I have seen is that in case of some accident, the family member stops using the vehicle and once it starts giving trouble, they leave it as it never belonged. They kept the insurance running, that's remarkable in itself.
Keep up the good work. Would be glued to this thread to see your updates.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 22:29   #45
BHPian

Thank you so much everyone! This response was never expected by us, seriously we're excited!

Update
We're getting time to work on the car only after 6PM as we both are engaged till 5 during weekdays. We're planning to remove the engine from the body shell this weekend as we cannot do any sort of welding/repair work on the shell with the engine attached. The frame on which the engine is attached is intact and its quite a relief.

Makeshift fuel pump relay in place
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-1.jpg

Below are the damages on the body shell, you can see the hole in the firewall and the compromised under body frame on which the front seats are mounted. They're completely gone and our little test drive caused them to bend down! We've decided not to do any more test drives before the body repair!

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-2.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-5.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-6.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-7.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-4.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-3.jpg

Since we don't have an engine hoist(or engine crane) to get the engine out of the car, we're going to loosen up all the bolts (just 4 bolts actually!) keeping the engine frame and the body shell together and then removing the body shell somehow by slowly sliding it backwards and keeping the engine rested on a solid support - stacked concrete bricks will be the best guess I think. The major problem here will be the weight of the car. Since we're only a 2 men team, manhandling the body shell is going to be one hell of a task! We've almost stripped the car to its bare metal. The wiring kit is still attached to the car. We're marking everything up before removing using masking tape and then writing on it - that way we can put everything back together easily(We hope!) without much confusion. The wiring kit will be removed tomorrow as the first step to remove the body shell. The part of wiring kit that goes to the back side of the car needs a lot of repair because the rats have already worked a lot on it

Glad our little project has inspired some of the BHPians here! Taking things into our own hands and getting a little dirty is really satisfying in the end. As I mentioned earlier, this is not really a project with financial aims, I think we're going to spend more than the car's current market value to restore it, considering the damage on the body. But then again, the joy of DIY is priceless I'd say! To keep the costs low, we'll be using salvaged parts for the project. We've heard about a place in Adoor, Kerala for getting parts. Its about 100km from our place. If its worth it, we'll be going there with a long list of parts!
vsaravind007 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed