Team-BHP - Improve the Ride Comfort & Handling of Omni
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Improve the Ride Comfort & Handling of Omni (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/16405-improve-ride-comfort-handling-omni.html)

I'm having a 2004 Omni(5 seater) with 145/70-R12 radials which has cloaked about 45,000 KMS. I had originally bought the vehicle for some rural & agricultural purposes. Now, I don't have any more agricultural uses and the leaf springs on the rear suspension of the Omni makes me quite wretched even for single driving. :Frustrati

I know that the leaf springs are meant for lugging heavy loads and since there is no more use for the leaf springs to carry heavy consignments, I'm planning to modify the suspension of Omni to something better to increase the driving comfort.

So what are the suspension mods suitable for Omni ?

What will be the total cost for the entire job ? My maximum budget is Rs.10,000. And will the mod be worth the money ?

Will it create any trouble for me in the future ?

Do I need to change the tyres ? I know that the correct size of radials for Omni is 145/80-R12. When I changed the tyres 5000 KMS ago, the tyre wallah accidently put the 145/70-R12 radials which is meant for Maruti 800. And I failed to notice the tyre size for about 3000 KMS.

One of my friends told me that it's possible to fit M800's rear suspension on Omni. Is it true ?

Is there any way can I improve the handling of Omni ? Although I know that Omni was never built keeping handling in mind and one can never expect better handling from Utility vehicles !!!

Please help me since I don't have any immediate plans to sell off Omni and even if I buy I new car, I will keep it as my 2nd car. please:

Anyone please help me....

I don't have any other sources to clear up my doubts...

At the rear doesn't Omni have leaf springs..???? I dont think if thats the case then u would be able to install M800 suspension...

145/80-12 will improve ride quality.....

Installing strut braces will also be a problem with space limitation in an Omni

Quote:

145/80-12 will improve ride quality.....
How much more comfort does it provide ?

Quote:

Installing strut braces will also be a problem with space limitation in an Omni
So what are the suspension mods possible ?

How about the Bridgestone 165/80/12?

lol: How about KONI shock absorbers?you will end up taking home a better handling and riding vehicle

Hey try and catch the show "Pimp my ride" on VH1. They did some funky stuff to a Suzuki van (Omni sold abroad).

Was quite cool!

Have you had any suspension work done on your Omni? If I remember correctly, mine (November 1999 model) had some suspension work done around the 35K or 40K km mark. The rear suspension is not great and can make you feel sick. Please get that checked.

Quote:

How about KONI shock absorbers?you will end up taking home a better handling and riding vehicle
Is it available for Omni ? How much does it cost ?

Quote:

Have you had any suspension work done on your Omni?
Now work has been done yet ! But when I showed the Omni to MASS(since it is still under warranty), they replied that everything is OK !! (the usual reply !!)

i have sat in a lot of omnis and i havent felt that the ride quality of the omni was that bad.just enquire at some other mass.every other modification would just be a compromise and sooner or later you will have problems with it.so try to get your suspension checked and do change your tyres to 145/80 r12 and if possible go for tubeless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag
Have you had any suspension work done on your Omni? If I remember correctly, mine (November 1999 model) had some suspension work done around the 35K or 40K km mark. The rear suspension is not great and can make you feel sick. Please get that checked.

Hey, I wonder what makes you say that the rear suspension of the Omni is not that great ... Ive owned a Omni since 92 , ( I still have it ) , and its one of the most comfortable rides . It eats up bumps with ease, lets you fly over bad roads even when loaded with half the house ...

So buddy , let me know ur definition of bad suspension ??

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaadu75
It eats up bumps with ease, lets you fly over bad roads even when loaded with half the house ...

I'd make that 'only when loaded with half the house'. I've always felt that the Omni's ride improves with the load it carries. The rear does bounce a bit when the van is less loaded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag
I'd make that 'only when loaded with half the house'. I've always felt that the Omni's ride improves with the load it carries. The rear does bounce a bit when the van is less loaded.

Hey, I still stick to what I said ... even an empty van is a lot smoother than most cars even when empty and running on bad roads !!! It just gets even smoother with half the house .... and lifting it on two wheels can be so much fun ;) !!

Cheers

Quote:

i have sat in a lot of omnis and i havent felt that the ride quality of the omni was that bad.
So do I need to check the suspension for any defects ?

Quote:

I've always felt that the Omni's ride improves with the load it carries. The rear does bounce a bit when the van is less loaded.
I agree with you, fully.

Does adding more leafs to the leaf spring setup of Omni gives more comfort ?